Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Uncut sheet of Emergency / Adam 12 for $55K

March 18 2017 at 11:39 PM
No score for this post

Uncut sheet of Emergency / Adam 12 for $55K  (Login Monsterwax)

It isn't an auction (so I'm not outing it) but a buy-it-now for $55K.

So the real question is: What would YOU pay for an uncut sheet of Emergency / Adam 12 test cards by Topps? (If it were an auction)....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Topps-Gum-Card-Emergency-Adam-12-Test-Set-Final-Uncut-Sheet-/330356162307?hash=item4ceac2ff03:m:md5CpJndUzsd4P6NRZ7g4QQ

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jason R.
(Login a71678)

Re: Uncut sheet of Emergency / Adam 12 for $55K

No score for this post
March 18 2017, 11:58 PM 

This listing has been on eBay for at east nine years (when I got back into non-sports card collecting, in 2008) and has been the first item on my "If I won the lottery..." list for the same amount of time. "Adam-12" is one of my all-time favorite TV shows.

Realistically, I'd think $20,000 would be the most it possibly could be worth. Individual cards from the series go for $300-$500 each, depending on condition. Proofs go for $200-$300. Even factoring in premium value for its being A) a full set and B) an uncut sheet, I couldn't see it selling for more than $20K, and that's to the right buyer (e.g. me, if I win the lottery).

This message has been edited by a71678 on Mar 21, 2017 12:16 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

This Posting Brings Up a Unique Question

No score for this post
March 19 2017, 8:25 AM 

For all you Graders out there i'd like to know how you feel that PSA is willing to grade cards cut from sheets.

Surely this can't be Kosher?

Applying today's techniques of laser cutting to the old method surely sounds like cheating to me...do i think it's happened lots already..sure.

But it just seems wrong and not above board unless declared as such on the PSA slab...just my Humble opinion from a non grader.

so would love to hear your opinion on this matter...

Amit

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
March 19 2017, 8:58 AM 

Is PSA grading cards that weren't cut from sheets? While I would never cut anything apart (it's so much rarer in its uncut form) I'm confused about how anyone thinks that all cards weren't cut from sheets.

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

no confusion on my part

No score for this post
March 19 2017, 9:16 AM 

Let me give you a concrete example so you'll understand what i'm getting at.

For arguments sake let's say the current highest graded card of a 52 Mantle is a PSA 8 and you were the lucky winner to pay 475K for that card.

Now an uncut sheet is found and someone using todays technology laser cuts that card and it grades a 10..what do you think your PSA 8 is worth now.

It's totally unfair to grade two cards using the same criteria if one was cut with shears in 1952 vs a super precision laser cut.

Now if PSA were to acknowledge on the slab that the newly graded PSA 10 Mantle is laser cut..then i'm ok with that.

Now do you understand?

Amit

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 19 2017, 9:50 AM 

No, but then again I don't "invest" in cards. I merely collect them. I have 99.99% of every card that I have ever acquired in my life. I buy what I like because I like it and that's about it. All cards are cut from sheets; it doesn't matter when the card was cut from the sheet or how it was cut from the sheet as far as I'm concerned. Especially if it's impossible to determine when the card was cut or how it was cut. I have lots of other stuff to be concerned about. This isn't getting me excited or upset.

Also, nothing in life is fair and spending time worrying about the equitabiliy of things like this doesn't suit me.

Dave Lemon
(Login PSUinCT)

No score for this post
March 19 2017, 8:43 PM 

Daniel,
Well put!
My sentiments exactly.

Amit,

1952 Mickey Mantle Pop:

3 Psa 10's
6 Psa 9's
4 Psa 8.5's
33 Psa 8's

Psa 8 sales:
Date Auction Seller Bids Price
2/25/17 Heritage 7 $660,000.00
2/21/16 Heritage 11 $501,900.00
12/10/15 Heritage 11 $525,800.00
11/8/15 eBay pwcc_auctions 78 $486,100.00
10/16/15 Mile High 16 $309,613.00
8/9/15 Goldin 19 $400,950.00
7/30/15 Heritage Image 15 $382,400.00

A Psa 9 sold for $2 million

If a another Psa 10 is graded It would exceed $5 million+ in my humble opinion.

I personally wouldn't pay 5k for the uncut sheet of Adam 12 but I would consider buying high grade cards if you decide to purchase
the sheet and get it cut and send the cards into Psa for grading.

Dave

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

My Mantle story was made up

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 19 2017, 10:26 PM 

Dave

I just used it as a hypothetical example without resorting to real life figures.

Maybe i should have said if rare card X never had a PSA 10 grade and someone paid big bucks for a PSA 8 or 9 of that card.... and then along came an uncut sheet and it was laser cut yielding a PSA 10 wouldn't that have a debilitating effect on previous prices.

Would you be ok buying a laser cut card?..or would you rather know before hand that it was cut that way..

My assumption was that the grading scale established by PSA was related to the technique of cutting during that era and that applying new techniques would unfairly skew the values.

Maybe my assumptions were misguided.
Amit

Anonymous
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
March 20 2017, 6:31 PM 

Tough set but that auction is to draw attention to the seller's other ware I'd wager.

Terry
(Login TerGom)

No score for this post
March 20 2017, 7:33 PM 

I would also guess around 15-20k to the right buyer. I can't fairly comment on the grading issue as it's not my thing. As for his other wares, I don't see a lot of bargains there.

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
March 20 2017, 9:37 PM 

Grading answer: PSA will only grade cards they can tell are sheet cut as authentic unless those cards were meant to be hand cut, like cut from boxes. If they were released in card form in a pack, they will not give number grades to recently cut vintage cards, IF they can detect the difference in edge cut.

BGS/BVG (Beckett) does not care about whether a card was pack-pulled or recently cut from a sheet, so cards that may have been cut from a sheet find their way into BVG holders more regularly. One major example is the 1979 Topps and O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky rookies. Most of the ones in high grade BVG holders are there because PSA would only give them Authentic grades.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index