Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

civil was news vending packs

March 19 2017 at 1:16 AM
Tony Fryer  (Login thescooper)

I read somewhere a collector has a complete set of 88 vending packs with a different card on the top. Anyone here?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill C
(Login willhc)

CWN Vending packs

March 23 2017, 4:48 PM 

Tony, about 8 - 10 years ago I believe someone in the Wrapper did advertise the full CWN set in rack packs for something over 10K IIRC. A number of dealers had unopened rack packs available at that time due to the huge find that happened.

Tony Fryer
(Login thescooper)

Re: civil was news vending packs

March 23 2017, 9:39 PM 

Do you or anyone have any information/stories of this find?

MARTY QUINN
(Login mighty-q)

March 30 2017, 10:52 AM 

I OWNED THE CWN SET WITH ALL 88 CARDS ON TOP OF EACH CELLO. I ORIGINALY BOUGHT THE SET FROM THE WRAPPER, WONZOWIZ OR SOMETHING WAS HIS LAST NAME, FORGET HIS FIRST, I PAID $9,500... THE FUNNY THING I REMEMBER ABOUT THAT WAS I BOUGHT A WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF FROM HIM, WAS A BUYER BEFORE ALSO FROM HIM MANY TIMES, THAT TIME I BOUGHT THE CWN CELLO SET I SPENT SOMETHING LIKE $12,000+ WITH HIM. I GET LETTER IN THE MAIL FROM HIM, HE SAYS HE UNDER ESTIMATED THE SHIPPING, HE IS OFF BY I THINK IT WAS $9. WELL, IT DIDNT SIT TO WELL WITH ME GETTING THAT LETTER AFTER SPENDING THAT MONEY. I GAVE HIM THE MONEY AND ALSO SENT HIM A STAMP FOR THE TROUBLE. i NEVER DID BUSINESS WITH HIM AGAIN. i SOLD THE SET TO DENNIS BEACHEY I BELIEVE, DB2995 ON EBAY. HE TURNED AROUND AND PUT INTO A MASTRO AUCTION. WHERE IT IS NOW I DO NOT KNOW.

OH AND THIS GUY WONZOWIZ HAD A TON OF CELLO BOXES, FROM WHAT I HEARD THE FIND WAS HUGE,NOT HIS I DONT THINK, BUT HE HAD FIRST PICKINGS FROM THE FIND I HEARD. I BOUGHT A FULL CELLO RAK PAK BOX A FEW TIMES, AND ABOUT 6 CELLO BOXES. FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD THIS WONZOWIZ GUY MADE A HUGE SCORE ON THESE.

This message has been edited by mighty-q on Mar 30, 2017 10:57 AM

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

CWN Vending Packs

March 30 2017, 9:06 PM 

Great story, Marty. I love hearing about past finds, where the stuff wound up and who handled it. Thanks - Jack J.

Tony Fryer
(Login thescooper)

March 30 2017, 10:08 PM 

Thanks marty

Anonymous
(Login HarrysCards)

March 31 2017, 10:13 AM 

The cards came from a guy who had bought them at an auction at the Topps factory. The guy was living in a little shack with all these vending boxes of CWN, and some other cards too.
The guy who "found" them was a longtime Wrapper advertiser and savvy collector. He told me the story of making several trips to buy cards from this man. On the last trip, the guy threw in an entire vending box of CWN cello packs, after the deal was paid for. He said the guy went in the other room, came out with the vending box and dropped it on the table, "you can have these too".
There must have been a lot of duplicate cellos to make a near set. There was a lot of trading going on with another collector, who also wanted a cello set with 1 of each card on top.
Finally, this Wrapper dealer/collector was only 2 or 3 cellos from having a set, when eventually and a dealer emerged, wanting an outrageous price for the needed items. I think he paid as much for those last 2 cellos as he had for the entire rest of the set. What a story!

Dave H0rnish
(Login dsh46)

March 31 2017, 1:49 PM 

I'm quite curious about this auction and suppose Topps could have done a few of them before shuttering Duryea in 1996. Does anyone have details? This would explain large amounts of some sets floating around!

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

March 31 2017, 9:50 PM 

That's a great story Marty. (Maybe I should reconsider my customary charge to customers of 5 cents per minute spent answering their emails, to help pay my utility bill to power the computer. (Unless it's off peak hours, then the rate drops to 3 cents per KWH. This rate includes the time spent to write out the monthly check and pay the accountant to double-check my billings, as well as the internet access bill.)) A business has to pass on the cost of doing business, don't ya' know!

But for now, the charge stands. So if you spent a minute reading this, please paypal my email address 3 cents. (The rules are the rules!)

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index