Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

War News Pictures - Dirty Dozen Announcement

March 22 2017 at 6:44 PM
No score for this post
Todd Riley  (Login non-sport.com)

Tom has graciously allowed us to post this here (thanks Tom!).

As many of you know (or have guessed) that I have made several vintage reprint cards on "RARE" non-sport cards. What you may not know is that I have never made any money doing it! I do charge for them in the hopes of someday recouping my expenses but still have not been able to do so. That being said, one of the series I always wanted to tackle was the War News Pictures "Dirty Dozen" set. In the past I have done a few cards so was able to afford to cover the costs out of my own pocket. With WNP I just can't afford to do this. Recently, I was talking to Kurt Kuersteiner (of Monsterwax fame) and he thought together we could maybe produce this series as a Kickstarter campaign. So that is what we decided to try. The campaign was launched today (which just happens to be my birthday). So for those of you who are interested check it out on Kickstarter.

Todd & Kurt

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jason R.
(Login a71678)

Re: War News Pictures - Dirty Dozen Announcement

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 10:01 AM 

Neat! I'll be checking my mailbox for them in May.

The project raises an interesting point: Is the artwork and text for all of the pre-war cards (HOW, Don't Let it Happen Over Here, Uncle Sam, etc.) now in the public domain? How can you tell which are and which aren't? Asking for a friend.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 12:05 PM 

Jason,
Unfortunately, copyright law is pretty complicated. In general it is a maximum of 75 years IF they have kept up the copyright. In order to keep your copyright up you have to renew it periodically. So the time might be much less than that if they were not working to keep it up to date. I think the period was extended to 95 years in the 1970's for some things. Also, if the company itself is no longer in business the likelihood of someone pursuing you is quite low (meaning they probably did not renew their copyrights).

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 1:21 PM 

I think originally it was 25 years, and then extended to 50, and then 75, and maybe longer now. Why? Mickey Mouse. Disney has fought long and hard to make sure that Mickey Mouse never enters the popular domain, because it is still such a cash cow and their brand is centered around him. So every time the copyright/trademark is about to expire, Disney lobbies to have the law extended to keep other companies making products of Mickey Mouse and their other stars (Disney Princesses dating back to Snow White and Cinderella).

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 3:39 PM 

"How long does a copyright last?

For works published after 1977, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, if the work is a work for hire (that is, the work is done in the course of employment or has been specifically commissioned) or is published anonymously or under a pseudonym, the copyright lasts between 95 and 120 years, depending on the date the work is published.

All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. However, even if the author died over 70 years ago, the copyright in an unpublished work lasts until December 31, 2002. And if such a work is published before December 31, 2002, the copyright will last until December 31, 2047."

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/copyright-basics/

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

No score for this post
March 23 2017, 3:40 PM 

Mickey Mouse is protected by trademark.

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

Updated pledge options

No score for this post
March 26 2017, 2:17 PM 

Thanks to everyone who has joined the pledge party! We're already 3/4ths the way there, so it looks we have a good shot of making it.

I'd like to point out that we're doing this reprint in an unusual manner: We're not making hundreds to sell to dealers, put on ebay, or retail like other reprints, so you won't see a flood of these after they are printed and sent out. We are offering backers to get a SECOND set for trade bait or a gift, but that's it, and we're limited the printing to the actual orders (with only a few more to replace potential misscuts and printing problems). We want "The Dirty Dozen" to remain scarce, just not as impossible to fill the holes in our own personal collection. So if you ever think you might want to collect the War News Pictures series, now's the time to decide if you want to fill those last dozen holes at little expense.

Since some people wanted all of Todd's earlier reprints (of "Strong Man" from "I'm Going To Be", the McKenley president card, and the cowboy outfit card #25 from Bowman's Wild West), plus an extra set of the Dirty Dozen, I just added another option to the campaign that allows that. Those who want to upgrade to that option can do so easily on the main page at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterwax/resurrecting-the-dirty-dozen-from-war-news-picture?ref=user_menu

Anonymous
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
March 27 2017, 10:37 PM 

Wow, we got funded in just five days. That's a first (for us)! As a special thanks, we're adding a reproduction of the actual wax wrapper (digitally printed and wax coated) to all contributors if we reach our stretch goal of $900 in the remaining two weeks. Thanks again to one and all!

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

War News Pics - Repros

No score for this post
March 27 2017, 11:32 PM 

Hey Tom - I think that's my wrapper prettied up a might. Is it too late to get in on the deal? It would be great to have the cards, and fun to have a repro of my wrapper. - Jack J.

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack on Mar 27, 2017 11:37 PM

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Jack..........

No score for this post
March 28 2017, 10:06 AM 

Beautiful wrapper and I have no control over any of it other than they asked to post on the main board. Which, at this point, I'm surprised hasn't ruffled more feathers............
I'd say the event is probably still open........

Joe Marciano
(Login bvb5366)

No score for this post
March 28 2017, 11:18 AM 

Jack- The fund drive is still open. Click on the Kickstarter link in Todd's posting

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

War News Pics

No score for this post
March 28 2017, 11:42 AM 

OOPS! I made the Todd/Tom switch. I know the difference, it just comes out wrong every once in a while.

I signed up for the Dirty Dozen and look forward to getting them. Todd, I only need eleven of the cards. Do I have to buy the whole set? Just kidding. - Jack J.

Kurt K.
(Login Monsterwax)

Looks like we're on the edge...

No score for this post
March 31 2017, 9:38 PM 

I don't wanna jinx it, but it looks like we're about to break the "free War News Pictures wax wrapper" trigger. (Just $24 away from the stretch goal.) Wild!

KyrtK
(Login Monsterwax)

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 12:21 AM 

A big thanks for all those hardcore card collectors who helped our WAR NEWS PICTURES "Dirty Dozen" reprint campaign. We exceeded our stretch goal by about 100%. Although the campaign is not over yet (it will be early Wednesday evening), it looks like there are about FIVE dozen Dirty Dozen fans out there. (At least, ones who like the series but can't afford the originals.) Thanks for banding together to help us all finish our sets!

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Congrats!

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 9:14 AM 

Congrats on the kickstarter campaign! From what I've seen, it's a great platform to fund projects that are just a little too costly to take on and gives some flexibility to both funders and fundee (I'm not sure thats a word) if it's not funded and if it goes above funding. I'm assuming they take around 10% as most of those platforms do. I may be in touch about a Kickstarter campaign for a personal pet project...............

Dave Fallen
(Login dlfallen)

Broader Scope

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 6:30 PM 

This project was apparently motivated by people's desire to "finish" the set by printing quality copies of very hard to find cards. In my case, the project had the effect of interesting me in the set to the point I ordered a lot of 50 and another lot of 8 from eBay to get me started. I was able to get cards in all series (except the dirty dozen, of course).

THANKS!

-Dave

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
April 12 2017, 9:19 PM 

That's awesome Dave. It's a quirky set, but the further along I get with it the more I like it. Not sure what grade you are looking for, but I have a few extras. click my name and e-mail me if you are interested.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 12:09 PM 

Today's mail...

[linked image]

If any of you participated in this, please get you surveys filled out so we can start shipping!!

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 12:25 PM 

Wow, those look great! Can't wait to receive mine. Thanks again, Todd and Kurt, for doing this!

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

War New Pictures

No score for this post
May 11 2017, 1:17 PM 

Hey Todd - Can I swing over and pick up my set and wrapper? It's not that far from California, and I just can't wait to get my purchase. They look super!!! - Jack J.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index