Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

April pickups

April 8 2017 at 1:52 PM
No score for this post

Daniel H  (Login PancakeBunny)

Okay, it's April 8th; no pickups? Maybe everyone is on spring break. I'll get the ball rolling:

I have taken a recent interest in R75 after picking up a group:

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
and this group which was a single strip cut up that has notes from two previous collectors to go with it:
[linked image]

After picking up this group I still need two to complete the base forty-eight card set but am a buyer of any that are of a different two tone color scheme that what I have here. If you selling please let me know.

The Pulver Pictures are in great shape, one more American Beauties, and a Believe it or not high number. Look carefully at the group of War News Pictures. The seller listed the group at a buy it now of $9.95. The nicest card in the group is one of the Dirty Dozen; it's factory cut, not hand cut. No creases. That's the second lot that I have picked up this year that included a machine cut Dirty Dozen card. Brings me up to three now.
[linked image]

Here's the original listing:
[linked image]

Good set building this month so far. I'm now down to one Heroes and Men of History. I need only Geronimo to finish. My first Remember Pearl Harbor and that's cool since my birthday is December 7th. The Lindbergh is series of 144.
[linked image]

This store advertising sheet for the 1938 Lone Ranger premiums has a few flaws, but I was still happy to add it to my collection. It's a great companion piece for the set that I'm working on:
[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by PancakeBunny on Apr 10, 2017 8:48 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Steve
(Login sthoemke)

Re: April pickups

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 12:12 AM 

1950's Serbian Actress magazine(?) cards. I can only wonder if anyone in Serbia has tried to index these.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Steve
(Login sthoemke)

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 12:21 AM 

Small lot pick-up of 1959 Maple Leaf Playing cards (R778-1)

[linked image]

Larry
(Login luckylarry777)

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 6:58 AM 

Daniel: Heck of a find (1939 War News Pictures) congrats!
Larry

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 9 2017, 7:47 AM 

Daniel - you are a machine! Awesome pickups.

Paul
(Login gabatgh)

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 10:40 AM 

This morning I opened a box of what I expected to be just bronze medals. The round discs awarded to this person or that company. Towards the bottom was an envelope with these in them. Completely unexpected. that makes this my first post in the monthly pickups...

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Figuring out what everything was took less time than I thought it would.

N28 Baseball - John M Ward
N28 Pool - J L Malone
N28 Wrestler - J H McLaughlin
N31 World's Dudes. German Student
N31 World's Dudes. Magyar
N72 Chili
T202 Arthur Fletcher
T202 Chas F Dooin
T202 Geo T Stovall
T202 George Gibson x2
T202 James P Archer
T202 John Kling x2
T202 John Titus
T202 Louis Richie
T202 Richard J Egan
T202 Robt H Bescher
T206 White Border Admiral Schlei (Batting)
T206 White Border Germany Schaefer
T206 White Border Leifield (Batting)
T206 White Border Tom Downey (Batting)
W511 40. Farina

Now I just need to valuate them all.

This message has been edited by gabatgh on Apr 9, 2017 11:18 AM

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

No score for this post
April 9 2017, 1:56 PM 

Wow; the Ward is a few hundred, I bet. The T202s are worth about $5 each as torn off thirds off the Hassan Triple Folders, more if they're Hall of Famers or Black Sox.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

for 22$ shipped

No score for this post
April 10 2017, 12:47 PM 

(-) my bonus bucks - not too shabby. The damage mostly confined to the periphery.....

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 10 2017, 4:17 PM 

Here's a mix of bread, gum and tobacco.

[linked image]

These 7 Van Brode Plane cards are a major acquisition for me as I have collected Van Brode stuff for decades. I don't know why they are so scarce. Perhaps limited original distribution. I'd love to hear of other cards residing in collections. - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
April 10 2017, 8:45 PM 

I was watching those Van Brode airplanes Jack; nice pickup. I can't imagine that anyone else appreciates them more than you do.

For my part this was a good day; The top three Commando Rangers complete my set. The two directly below are upgrades. I like this set and am happy to have it complete. There are two complete sets for sale at this moment, it might have been cheaper to buy one, but it would have been a lot less satisfying! The eleven Allies in Action put me at needing twenty-nine to complete. Still a long way to go I think for that set.

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 10 2017, 9:16 PM 

Daniel - Someone wanted the Van Brode cards ALMOST as much as I did. But regardless of price, I'm glad to have them. - Jack J.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 12 2017, 4:43 PM 

A few months ago I think it was Jim that showed some of these and I thought, "Wow ... I'll probably never get any of those". Now I have two. What a great hobby this is. - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 15 2017, 1:33 PM 

Just a mix of stuff to pad out the collection. - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Troy Kirk
(Login moviecard)

No score for this post
April 15 2017, 1:43 PM 

Some kid in Sweden really liked Alfa candies, I got a big group of cards all from Alfa across different series.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

cliff
(Login Marslife)

April

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 17 2017, 9:17 PM 

Nice stuff, nice Bonus find Paul!

snagged some tough T73 US Marine Backed Indian Life cards....

Heading to the Cleveland Sports Card show this weekend, maybe find some treasures in a BB card dealers junk box???

TTYL!

Cliff

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 21 2017, 2:00 PM 

I don't remember seeing these "Who Is This Mystery Movie Star?" Dixie Lids before. They're in terrible shape, but are fun to have. Any guesses who's who? - Jack J.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

No score for this post
April 21 2017, 2:33 PM 

The Gabriel Over the White House card is child actor Dickie Moore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickie_Moore_(actor)

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

April Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 21 2017, 5:31 PM 

It is Dickie Moore. I didn't realize that these Mystery lids were just a variation of other F4 Dixie lids with the faces and names removed. I guess they were distributed at the same time as the regular lids. What a good way to double the size of the set and push kids to buy more ice cream. Makes me twice as enthusiastic about collecting the set. -Jack J.

[linked image]

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
April 23 2017, 12:18 AM 

Nice pickups from everyone this month! Daniel, I think you and Jeff Shepard have the market cornered on R75s. And, man, NICE Dirty Dozen pickup!

Jack, I put in a cursory bid on those Van Brode cards just because I had never seen them before, but once I saw you were interested, I knew they were yours! I would have been surprised if anyone else had ended up with them.

Here are a few of mine so far:

photo IMG_4094_zps7ruffae6.jpg
The Magic Funny Fortunes and Belga Gum were both eBay pickups. The rest are from this weekend's Philly Non-Sports Card Show. The coins are Topps Play Coins of the World (France and Canada). That's the first Topps Pop-Up I've ever seen in real life (the other one in my collection is inside an unopened pack, which I have no intention of opening). Now if I could just find a Topps Flip-Up to go with it....

photo IMG_4095_zpsh0bqpxka.jpg
Two Wacky Packages-related wrappers from this weekend's show and an Easter gift from my parents. I had never seen a Leader Novelty bag before, only boxes. I probably paid too much for the Wacky Ads wrapper, as it has a huge rip in it (that I didn't see until I got it home) even beyond the obviously missing chunks. But I really liked the graphics, and it was one-tenth the price of the most expensive example at the show (this year's show celebrated Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids, so items related to both were out in abundance). I'm glad I was able to work out a deal on the Wacky Packages die-cuts wrapper; I missed a fair deal on one on eBay a couple months ago and came out slightly ahead by stumbling upon this one, if you add shipping onto what I would have paid for the other.

photo IMG_4096_zpskxge2qoq.jpg
I forgot to include this Zorro box in the other pictures until I had already put the cards away, so I added a couple oddball baseball items; I hope no one minds. The Zorro and the L.M. Becker flicker ring (which I like because it's similar to the way my L.M. Becker Ring Ding compass ring is packaged) also were Easter presents from my parents. The 1952 Berk Ross wrapper came from the Philly show.

cliff
(Login Marslife)

Cleveland Pick-ups

No score for this post
April 23 2017, 12:27 PM 

found a couple treasures at the Strongsville, OH show along with some BBall cards. Show was PACKED! could barely get thru the aisles. Lots of vintage dealers, mostly BB. rooted thru several BB dealer non-sports junk boxes and piles or recently acquired non sports stuff. found a couple I needed. Dropped off a bunch of stuff at SGC for grading, overall glad I made the trip.

T88's

[linked image]
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index