Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Sunny South question - N157 or ??

May 10 2017 at 10:27 PM
tm  (Login agfav)

I only have 4 Sunny South cards, because they are so hard to find. The problem is it is a great non-set
of cards. Maybe I am wrong with that description, but the cards come from a few companies. I have always
been curious why the gentleman in Blackface is included? It is a great card! Does anyone know who it is?
Is it too early to be the great Emmett Kelley (I believe Mr. Kelley was a clown for Barnum, could be wrong)
If any of you great collectors (Henry, Bill H., Rhett, Eric, etc.) have any insight or stories to tell about these unique cards (ALL of the Sunny Souths), I would love to hear them, see the cards, etc. We need a good thread with card history soon, it has been a while. The card with the dude eating the watermelon is a classic!) Thanks guys. tm

By the way did you know there are 25 Sunny South cards in Dan's Gallery? 25!!! Thanks Dan

This message has been edited by agfav on May 13, 2017 10:49 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login rhettmyeakley)

Re: Sunny South question

May 11 2017, 1:34 PM 

Interesting question.

I think we need to keep in mind that although we separate these sets into different categories today back in the day they were just a large set of various themes being produced and our categories we have used just don't always make a lot of sense.

Honestly the N150, N155 and N157 sets were all made at the same time and there are some strange cards made in the "series" that really don't fit with the others and one could easily break them down into even more groupings.

About the N157 set specifically I believe that the black face gentleman along with the African American boxing subjects probably do not belong in the "Sunny South" set but are their own entities as it seems the sunny south cards were depicting the old stereotypes of "life on the plantation" and the boxing subjects certainly don't depict that, they just happen to show African-American subjects. The guy in black face has a more direct connection than the boxers but likely it is depicting an actor simply doing his vaudeville routine and may be more correctly identified as a N150 but I really don't have an issue with any of them being in the N157 set (I even think there is an argument to be made that the young girl holding the basket probably should be included as well). The alternative is grouping those with the super unpopular N150 set and that would be a shame.

On a side note there is a case to be made that the N155 Native Americans should have their own designation, along with the N155 animal cards, the N150 John L Sullivan, etc

This message has been edited by rhettmyeakley on May 12, 2017 11:52 PM

MARTY KRIM
(Login 030190)

SUNNY SOUTH

May 11 2017, 3:28 PM 

I agree with the points that Rhett has meticulously set forth..

They are interesting and thought provoking..

On the other hand, I always agree with Rhett as it is foolish not to do so - I did disagree with him once and after he explained to me the error of my ways I clearly understood that his - is the SUNNY side of the street..

ted
(Login agfav)

I agree

May 12 2017, 8:22 PM 

with everything Rhett said, he knows his early cards. Sorry, Marty should have been listed with
the list of great collectors, but my memory goes with age. I am curious if anyone has found any
others that should or could be with Dan's 25 from the gallery? If so could you show us? This site
is amazing when you think about the age of these cards. I though maybe a few would have popped up
from the West Coast. I'll bet there were at least another 25 printed that have been lost. So how about
looking thru those large collections guys? Thanks. tm

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

Re: Sunny South question - N157 or ??

May 15 2017, 1:06 PM 

Some of the images also appear under the set N692 Old Fashion Fine Cut Tobacco, which could be the source of some confusion between the issues. SGC refers to the cards as "Negro Subjects".

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

May 15 2017, 5:48 PM 

N692

[linked image]
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Steve
(Login sthoemke)

May 15 2017, 6:51 PM 

N157 Honest Long Cut: