Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
Anonymous
(Login scaryclown)

Re: Davy Crockett orange back cards

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 7:43 PM 

From Todd's pics (nice job Todd) I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer to this question. In 1956 this had to be a "Monster" seller for Topps and maybe they ran out of their stock of cardboard and they said print them with what ever we got left. I will agree the bright orange is the hardest to find and wonder if every card was printed that way. Any one seen a #1 card in that mode?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Frank Evanov
(Login eagle147)

Backs

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 8:19 PM 

Ken, I just did a small sample study. I have 211 raw Crockett Orange cards. There were 11 tan backs (5%), 2 whites (1%) and 198 grays (94%). I"m calling #61 white (fer sure) #62 white (? it looks much whiter in person) and #15, 20, 55 and 80 tan (certain). #79 (gray) is attached for comparison.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Frank

tony fryer
(Login thescooper)

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 8:54 PM 

I have around a 1000 Orange backs, when I dig them out I will give you the breakdown

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 9:23 PM 

Frank, I agree - I put it as a tan. However, on most of the tan's the orange ink looks almost brown. Like they changed the ink color. The one in the middle looks much more like orange ink on tan stock vs. brown ink on tan stock.

SC, yes I do happen to have #1 on both white and tan stock. I'm pretty sure you can put the entire set together with all backs as I think it much more likely that Topps got their card stock from different sources when they would run out vs. printing a partial set on special stock. Of course we may never know!

(FYI - of the 5 white back numbers shown - not including my own - I have none of them in my set. So that brings the total known white back numbers to 26.)

Dave H0rnish
(Login dsh46)

No score for this post
May 23 2017, 8:17 PM 

I have to think the bright orange is available on all numbers; can't see how it wouldn't be.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index