Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

World Wide Gum Wrappers - Seeing Double

June 7 2017 at 6:59 PM
No score for this post

Jack J.  (Login fallbrookjack)
from IP address 75.80.155.54

Here are variations on the three war related World Wide Gum wrappers. I haven't seen all six documented anywhere, and thought others might share my interest.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

The information contained on the wrappers clearly establishes the order in which they were produced.

1. Aviation Bubble Gum - States that "Marine Bubble Gum" is coming soon.

2. Marine Bubble Gum - Refers to "Aviation" and "Marine" gum cards and states that "Victory Bubble Gum" is coming soon.

3. Victory Bubble Gum - Encourages that you "Collect a full set to go with your 'Aviation' and 'Marine' gum cards."

The pattern is consistent with one wrapper promoting the virtues of the set represented, the other with a "Save the Wrappers" for mail-away premiums plus putting in a plug for a next set in the trilogy. I suspect that the "Save the Wrappers" wrapper is from a second production run when the set's popularity called for another in the series to be produced.

The CARDS in each of the three sets have two primary variations. One says "Gum", either "Bubble" or "Chewing" on the front, the other says "Series". I suspect that the "Gum" cards were in the first wrapper, and the "Series" cards were in the second wrapper.

To be complete, I must mention that there is a third variation of the Aviation wrapper. I think it was a late arrival after all three sets were in production. It refers to all three sets in the text and says "Chewing" instead of "Bubble" gum. The close connections between these three set leads me to believe that, although they were distributed consecutively, they were all in production at the same time.

As far as when they were produced, the statement on the Marine Bubble Gum wrapper that says; "'MARINE BUBBLE GUM' contains another 'Win the War' series of pictures..." suggest early 1940's.

For those of you who have stuck with this till now, thank you for your interest. - Jack J.

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 75.80.155.54 on Jul 3, 2017 7:04 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan C
(Login D.Calandriello)

as a collector......

No score for this post
June 8 2017, 3:31 PM 

as a collector......
of these 3 sets for many years,
I applaud your research and
thank you for sharing the information.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Anonymous
(Login oldbubblegum)

Re: World Wide Gum Wrappers - Seeing Double

No score for this post
June 10 2017, 8:31 AM 

What our Mentor Dan C. said x2

"showing the love since 1961 "

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index