Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

1960 Val Gum Movie Stars Real vs Reprint

June 11 2017 at 2:17 PM
No score for this post
Lee Behrens  (Login SterlingSportsAuctions)
from IP address 71.8.138.122

Hello all,

I have been recently consigned a set of 1960 val gum movie stars. In doing my research I have found that they reprinted the set, but can not find any where that tells you the difference of the real to reprint, any help would be great.

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bill O.
(Login Billyo9999)

Val Gum Movie Stars

No score for this post
June 11 2017, 5:21 PM 

Hi Lee,

Troy Kirk's website has a lot of info on these cards, but doesn't mention a reprint.
http://www.moviecard.com/valgum/val-filmstar.html

Bill

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Lee Behrens
(Login SterlingSportsAuctions)

Re: 1960 Val Gum Movie Stars Real vs Reprint

No score for this post
June 11 2017, 9:09 PM 

Thanks for the reply, the link is for a 1954 set, I believe i have a 1960 set.

Lee

This message has been edited by SterlingSportsAuctions from IP address 71.8.138.122 on Jun 15, 2017 2:41 PM

Mark
(Login MorrellMan)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
June 12 2017, 9:52 AM 

Lee - that's a tough one. Reprints abound, as you say. I've wanted to own an MM from that set, but I have no idea how to tell a reprint from authentic. I've done a lot of research (internet search, ebay search, message boards, etc.) for at least 10 years and I know no more now than when I started. Given that, I'm not certain how PSA has determined authenticity and I'll bet they've rejected more as reprints than have graded.

The pixilation of the ones that have found their way into holders look the same as the ones touted as reprints, and, to be sure, the pixilation of them all is horrid. The card stock "may" be different but who knows? Conclusion: I really don't think anybody knows. Since Troy hasn't covered this set, I think it's possible it was not issued 57 years ago as some claim. Good chance it may be a hoax. Personally, until some sort of reasonable provenance turns up for this set, I'm not interested in it as anything but a novelty reprint set.

Edited to add - SGC shows this card as being 1960 Val Gum, but I'm guessing it's not in your set?

[linked image]

This message has been edited by MorrellMan from IP address 64.239.129.218 on Jun 12, 2017 4:22 PM

Lee Behrens

No score for this post
June 12 2017, 4:51 PM 

No John Wayne in this group, it does have 3 Marilyn Monroe. The paper stock is thin and you there are many dark fibers visible.

Thanks for the reply,

Lee

This message has been edited by SterlingSportsAuctions from IP address 71.8.138.122 on Jun 15, 2017 2:41 PM

Troy Kirk
(Login moviecard)

No score for this post
June 12 2017, 11:52 PM 

I agree with a lot of what Mark says about this set. I don't know enough about it to add a checklist for it to my site. I've never handled a card from the set.

Lee Behrens

No score for this post
June 15 2017, 2:42 PM 

I have decided to put in the current Auction with information I have obtained.

Thanks for all the help,

Lee

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

A scan of my Monroes

Score 5.0 (1 person)
June 16 2017, 4:54 PM 

Lee
I bought this full set some years ago from a reputable dealer and they look legit to me.

The actual reprint set is marked as such and says one of 5000 sets.

My set doesn't have a John Wayne card so i'm not sure where that one came from.

I'm enclosing a scan of my Monroe cards with the back showing too.

In your one scan of a back the colour looks very pink..on mine i could barely tell there was pink on the back without using a magnifying glass.

It's quite possible the colour is enhanced by the scan and i'm curious once i post my scan if that will become clearer at 300dpi.
regards,
amit

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Mark
(Login MorrellMan)

One of the most troublesome aspects...

No score for this post
June 19 2017, 3:56 PM 

...of this set, is that the supposed year of issue is printed on the card. What legitimate set actually shows that on its back? I can't think of one. And certainly no other supposedly legitimate Dutch Val Gum issue has the year printed on it either. And who is Movistar Card Co.?

[linked image]

This message has been edited by MorrellMan from IP address 76.91.244.229 on Jun 19, 2017 5:52 PM

Frank Evanov
(Login eagle147)

PSA

No score for this post
June 19 2017, 8:35 PM 

The ones that PSA grades have blank backs. There is a dash after the name then the #:

[linked image]
Frank

This message has been edited by eagle147 from IP address 68.195.42.74 on Jun 19, 2017 8:37 PM

Mark
(Login MorrellMan)

PSA?

No score for this post
June 19 2017, 11:37 PM 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the grader of the card I showed is PSA.

Troy Kirk
(Login moviecard)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
June 19 2017, 11:43 PM 

Here's what I know about the # cards.

As to the sets with the # on the card, there was a seller on ebay a number of years ago, not sure if they are still selling there or not, that had these cards for sale, and it seemed like they had a good quantity of them in mint condition. The seller listing said these cards were originally used in a promotion at movie theaters, I think in the United States, and they included a black and white photograph of a theater display with these cards on display at an old movie theater. (I thought I might have saved a scan of the photo, but I can't find it on my computer, maybe someone else saved a scan of the photo.)

The seller was selling the cards in small groups of about 20 cards at a time I think, and I bought one of the lots. In the lot, there were both types of cards with the # on the front, the kind with the dash and the kind without. Below are two cards I got in my group:

[linked image] [linked image]

Both types that I got had blank backs. The seller sold many more lots of these, they had a good quantity. I don't know why PSA identifies them as Val Gum, I don't think they are Val Gum, even the ones that say Val Gum on the back. I agree with all the points that Mark makes about them.

I'm still not sure if these cards were ever given out at theaters or if someone just made them to sell to the collector market at some point. Since I regularly searched for old movie cards and never saw these from any other sellers, I kind of leaned toward them not being legit old cards for a while, but then I did see a card that looked legit from the 1950s in this design for sale on ebay with an ad on the back:

[linked image]

So now I don't really know either way, they could be legit movie theater promotion cards that were unsold at the time and found their way to an ebay seller later.

Amit
(Login docsdrillers)

Cards with Numbers

No score for this post
June 20 2017, 9:33 AM 

Troy

I believe you are right that the cards with numbers aren't Val Gum cards..in fact they are almost exactly the same as cards issued in Canada called Popcorn cards that were distributed in Theatres.

Which brings up another issue since it's my understanding that there are reprints/fakes of Popcorn cards too.

I think My Val Gum set and the one on auction are authentic and that PSA has had it wrong for quite awhile.

As one person pointed out that cards with a date written on the back look suspicious and were probably produced much later perhaps as promos..

Amit

ps Troy i'll send you a scan of my full set for your site.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index