Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

1978 Donruss Elvis #24 error

June 12 2017 at 3:50 PM
No score for this post

Mark  (Login MorrellMan)
from IP address 64.239.129.218

I haven't found any info regarding which of these two cards is the more scarce. Both were issued as #24:

[linked image] [linked image]

The Elvis alone shot is the same as card #59. The back, though, is the same as the #24 card with the colonel.
Purely speculation, but I'm guessing the colonel card was part of the original run. As he eschewed having his picture anywhere, he probably demanded its withdrawl. Rather than create new artwork, the decision was probably made to replace it with an existing card. The double printed Elvis alone shot can be easily spotted on this uncut sheet image (I stole from an old ebay listing).

As this set was massively overprinted, I'm guessing there are a lot fewer colonel cards out there than any other card in this set. I picked up a couple of closeout sets 30 years ago, and neither of them contained the colonel card. Does your set have it?
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

Re: 1978 Donruss Elvis #24 error

No score for this post
June 12 2017, 10:00 PM 

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Non-Sports/1978/Donruss_Elvis_-_Base/241/Elvis_Presley/4051352

I just bought four off COMC. If a board member wants one, I will mail it to you free of charge. I bought some neat cards this week for under value, so I am in a giving mood. Send me a message and I'll mail it to you once I take delivery from COMC in a couple of weeks.

As to which is more scarce, COMC has had 6 with the General, and only 1 with Elvis. That one sold for $1.60 a couple of years ago.

This message has been edited by swarmee from IP address 70.191.230.151 on Jun 12, 2017 10:01 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Larry
(Login luckylarry777)

Re: 1978 Donruss Elvis #24 error

No score for this post
July 1 2017, 6:10 PM 

I have two sets (picked one up today at our local card show $5) both #24 cards show Elvis and The Colonel.
Larry

Bill C
(Login willhc)

Elvis

No score for this post
July 2 2017, 1:46 PM 

Mark, I have a few sets of 78 Elvis and all of mine do have the Parker/Elvis card. I checked my doubles and only found one of the Elvis alone. I haven't found any additional value added to the Elvis alone card.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index