Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Ryan
(Login SumoMenkoMan)

Picked up some more German Card Books

July 28 2017, 2:25 PM 

I've continued my acquisition of German card collecting books and picked up the foremost authority on the post-war sets. These are Gerd Pasler's Deutsche Cards und Tutenbilder (German Cards and Pack Cards). These hardback monsters are definitely a work of art and really fun to thumb through. The English-language part of the introduction section states that these books "have been put together with a great deal of enthusiasm and passion." It contains "scans and photographs of practically ever known album covers" along with hundreds of scans of wrappers, boxes, and cards. The goal of these books is to catalog every set that was printed in the German language.

These books focus on sets from 1950-2013. This is its really only downfall....it lacks focus as it contains, sports stars, cartoons, Panini stickers, UD German cards and a variety of different sets. It would be nice for individual volumes to contain all these different subjects separately. But this is really only a mild detraction as the quality and time put in these books is outstanding.

The first book is the entire catalog of sets....no individual cards are listed, only the sets and pertinent information on sets (# of cards, price, year released). The second book is thinner and takes specific sets from the first book and actually checklists those sets in their entirety. If it was up to me, I would have made 4-5 different books and checklisted the sets in each of those books with each book focusing on a different topic....sports, movies/tv, stickers, etc....

[img][linked image][/img]

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

Re: July pickups

July 29 2017, 3:22 PM 

Those German books are neat! I especially like the full-color images.

A couple more for me this month, though they likely won't arrive until August.

5COCwzn.jpg
I usually put in a low-ball bid on these Blony boxes when they come up just for the heck of it. I was shocked to get this one for under $20

Xf6Gsxx.jpg

xIZ4WDy.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these Baltimore American cards? I don't have them in-hand yet, but they look like actual cards, not cut from the newspaper. I've never seen them before, and I can't find them on Todd's site or in the NSB. My guess is that they're from the '30s or very early '40s. Wimpy didn't look the way he appears on this card (with his signature hat, jacket and tie) until at least 1931, so they can't be any earlier than that, and Krazy Kat ended in 1944, so they wouldn't be any later than that. I can't find much information on "Always Belittlin'" except that it started sometime before 1925 as a predecessor to "Skippy" and continued until at least 1935 (I found some original artwork in a completed eBay auction with that date), which places it in the same time frame.

JOE!!
(Login sparky929)

BLONEY WRAPPER!

July 29 2017, 4:12 PM 

Jason a real beauty of a wrapper! Those cards are beauts too. I can dream can't I.
Congrats!
JOE

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>