Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

General Sickles card in the site banner.

July 11 2017 at 8:14 PM
Mark Medlin  (Login mdmtx)

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what set the general sickles card on the left side of this sites banner is from? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bill O
(Login Billyo9999)

General Sickles card in the site banner

July 11 2017, 8:59 PM 

It is from the T64 set - D. H. McAlpin Tobacco Generals.
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T64/go.html

Anonymous
(Login mdmtx)

Re: General Sickles card in the site banner.

July 11 2017, 9:13 PM 

Thank you Bill!

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

A VERY............

July 12 2017, 8:13 AM 

A VERY tough set.......

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

July 14 2017, 12:19 PM 

A set I'm working on and I have this card in worse shape. About 2 years since I last picked one up from this set. have about 8.

Interesting side note. My friend and neighbor from a few doors down had the last name of Sickles. Direct descendent. Something bad happened to General Sickles but I forget what it was. I need to check.

Frank Evanov
(Login eagle147)

Sickles

July 14 2017, 2:53 PM 

The General had personal problems:

Born to a wealthy family in New York City, Sickles was involved in a number of public scandals, most notably the killing of his wife's lover, Philip Barton Key II, son of Francis Scott Key. He was acquitted after using temporary insanity as a legal defense for the first time in United States history. This became a defense associated with 'crimes of passion'.

Do not piss your neighbor off!! happy.gif

He also had health and competency issues:

His military career ended at the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, after he moved his III Corps (without orders) to an untenable position where it was virtually destroyed. He was wounded by cannon fire and had to have his leg amputated.

Do not take any military advice from your neighbor! happy.gif

Mark Medlin
(Login mdmtx)

July 14 2017, 4:32 PM 

An t64 just popped up on eBay with a price tag of 400 bucks. It's in decent shape, but that seems steep. What would those of you in the know expect to pay for these cards?

Anonymous
(Login scaryclown)

July 14 2017, 6:01 PM 

$500 each cause I have several nice ones I'll sell. LMK

Anonymous
(Login scaryclown)

July 14 2017, 8:18 PM 

Just found the card your referring to, that card is VG at best. I haven't looked at mine in quite some time but as I recall they're Ex-M at least.

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

July 14 2017, 8:28 PM 

Technically Good I would think but the major faults are the corners. Not too bad.

Scaryclown, do you really have some? I may be interested, just not sure $500 is doable unless Lee or Jackson or high grade.

Anonymous
(Login scaryclown)

July 14 2017, 9:28 PM 

Yes, I have some, not sure who or how many, maybe 4 or 5. I stash stuff and don't look at it for years. It would take me a while to find them (probably a couple weeks) I move slow. Prices are not written in stone. And you are correct as to good condition as the card is actually missing a piece on the bottom right. So this is probably illegal on this site but how do I contact you?

Anonymous
(Login egbeachley)

July 15 2017, 1:12 AM 

Interested.

This message has been edited by egbeachley on Jul 15, 2017 7:47 PM

Nelson
(Login rasnel)

T64s

July 15 2017, 4:21 PM 

Hey Anonymous/SC please contact me at rasnel@gmail.com thank you

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>