Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Need Help to ID some Film Star Stamps

July 13 2017 at 8:56 AM
Amit Benyovits  (Login docsdrillers)

Hi Guys

I seem to be striking out with the usual guys who know Film star stuff so i need your help.

The stamps seem to be from the early 30's and the one showing below has a Babe Ruth stamp too.

Can someone who dabbles in sport too please comment as to what the Ruth may be worth.
A google search on the Ruth stamp yiedled no results nor could i find any other examples of these stamps.

regards,
Amit

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

Seems there are some Sport stars too. BABE RUTH and JACK DEMPSEY

July 16 2017, 4:31 PM 

Just bought out the remaining sheets.

In total there were 42 sheets of 42 stamps per sheet for a total of 1764 stamps in the set.

Hard to believe that there is nothing on the net for a set that large.

It's hard to tell all the stars in the st as the sellers scans aren't great but i did notice BABE RUTH and JACK DEMPSEY as two athletes i could make out...hopefully there are more.

So i decided to bump this thread back to the top in the hopes that maybe some of the sports collectors could shed some light on this set.
thanks,
Amit

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

Re: Need Help to ID some Film Star Stamps

July 16 2017, 6:51 PM 

Updated:

NOT 1947 Hollywood Starstamps

This message has been edited by sthoemke on Jul 17, 2017 3:14 PM

Amit Benyovits
(Login docsdrillers)

thanks for trying

July 16 2017, 7:02 PM 

Sorry but it's not those...i'm quite familiar with that set which is 474 stamps and this is primarily of 20's and early 30's stars...also no Babe Ruth in that set...this set has at least 1764 stamps...
Amit

David M
(Login GasHouseGang)

Re: Need Help to ID some Film Star Stamps

July 17 2017, 12:34 PM 

Amit, I posted this over on the baseball side, and got no responses. I don't know what they are, but I would guess they are a foreign issue based on the number of subjects. Some of those German sets are massive. I really thought someone on the baseball side was going to know about these since there's a Ruth.

Amit
(Login docsdrillers)

Much Appreciate the effort

July 17 2017, 4:13 PM 

I'll know more when they arrive and i get to see all the names up close.

I'll be sending scans of the 40 sheets to Troy and Cliff as they are the supreme gurus of Film Star items.

I don't believe they are a foreign issue as the UK seller bought these at an estate sale and bought the 1947 Hollywood star stamps from the same person.

The stamps are from the late 20's and early 30's and i'm beginning to speculate they were a salesman sample and never reached a retail distribution..pure speculation but here's part of my thought process.

Too big of a set to not be released over time and the stars seem to span a wide time period...we'll never know because they are listed alphabetically...I can't imagine any sales pitch if released with food or candy that would entice someone to collect all 1764 stamps:)..certainly there is nothing in sports that remotely resembles that size of a set..even hockey sets from grocery stores like Loblaws or Esso that were issued in series were never that big..a sheet would be sold every week for 12-14 weeks not 42 weeks if they were issued in sheets.

If it were released that way then we should definitely find another Ruth stamp as that one would probably be the most popular(if it was an american issue)..Wallace Beery just doesn't cut it...hey mom Beery comes out this week so we have to buy that cereal for sure:)

If released over time in sheets then this collector would have had to wait until the issue was fully released and then sort through almost 1800 stamps and then affix them onto sheets ALPHABETICALLY..

I'm not even sure Dan would be that focused and determined to do that daunting task.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>