Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 7 2017, 8:04 PM 

Glad to add these two Horrors of War wrappers to the collection. The white "sheet type" wrapper has something I've not seen on previous wrappers. It has a black vertical bar on the upper left edge that looks a lot like the kind used horizontally on "roll type" wrappers to indicate the cut line. Anyone know anything about this? It looks to be factory printed. Thanks - Jack J.

[img][linked image][/img]

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 75.80.155.54 on Aug 7, 2017 8:05 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Re: August Pickups

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 9:13 AM 

Jim,

That R148 wrapper is spectacular! I don't know where you turn up such obscure material but it's really something to see. Thanks for posting.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 12:07 PM 

Jim - For the closing price on that Pirates wrapper, you had to be the only one who knew what it was. I certainly didn't know. Congratulations. It belongs in your collection. - Jack J.

p.s. - Is the transfer on the back of the wrapper or was it a separate piece of paper? Thanks - JJ

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 75.80.155.54 on Aug 8, 2017 12:52 PM

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 3:21 PM 

No tattoo, just the wrapper
And yes, I did steal it while everyone was looking.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 5:21 PM 

I too was watching it as I thought it was just a neat wrapper.

Jim proves once again that "knowledge is power"!

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 8:01 PM 

A few more crumbs (which is about all I seem to be able to win lately)..

One of the few wrappers I have been able to snag (probably because it has a hole right in the middle of it)..
[linked image]

Never saw these before! The fronts are the same as the Fleer/Bakery stickers from the mid 1970's. However, these are cards and come from the 1981 Boy Scout Jamboree and were provided by Kellogg's...
[linked image]

I just thought these were cool! They are postcards of the R5 Aeroplane Series by Wischmann's. They were made in 2004 by John Wischmann (who I assume is a descendant) and come in a nicely illustrated box...
[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

September Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 6:01 PM 

Some things come in the mail and I'm happy to add them to the collection, others arrive and I get really excited. This pillow-top is one of the latter. It is 22 inches square and is, I believe, a complete set of the President Pennants. I doubt there were two versions of the Grover Cleveland. I would also think the five colors, blue, purple, maroon, red and green, are all there were. - Jack J.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 6:05 PM 

Jack, that is pretty cool!

It must be Davy Crockett week for me...

Near set of tan backs...
[linked image]

This thing is die-cut and measures over 33 inches long...
[linked image]

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 6:58 PM 

Jack, that's an awesome pillow topper. Some of the felt issues are really cool.

Todd, I looked at those Wischmann cards but didn't feel strongly enough to pull the trigger. I sent a note to the descendent guy asking him about the Airplanes but he didn't feel compelled to respond.

This message has been edited by PancakeBunny from IP address 184.60.60.216 on Aug 12, 2017 7:00 PM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 9:44 PM 

Daniel, I know what you mean. But I kept losing auctions so wanted to make myself feel better by actually getting something.

tony Fryer
(Login thescooper)

more of my favourites

No score for this post
August 12 2017, 11:48 PM 

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 13 2017, 5:54 PM 

Tony, what percentage of the print run do you think you have now on those Davy's?

Recent pickup...
[linked image]

Question: Would the wax paper band that came wrapped around the loaf of bread and told you there was a card inside be considered a wrapper for the set? (I assume the actual wrapper was just a normal bread wrapper)

Frank Evanov
(Login eagle147)

New

No score for this post
August 13 2017, 8:56 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]
Frank

tony Fryer
(Login thescooper)

No score for this post
August 13 2017, 9:32 PM 

Todd, not enough

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
August 14 2017, 3:35 PM 

So these came today....

Jbu8DW7.jpg

Assuming there were 16 cards in all, which makes sense given size and contents of this particular box, I'm only one away from a complete set. Unfortunately, of the two that popped up on eBay in the past couple weeks, I got the box in lesser condition, with its top flap missing.

The back says "Series Two - Razzle." According to the orange Sport Americana guide, the other series Chase issued in this format was Pit. It's hard to tell, but I believe the same box was used for both series. The entire back of my box is covered with a sticker with the rules for Razzle and a couple different denotations that it's "Series Two." However, one corner of the sticker was worn away over the years, and you can tell there was a different design and probably some words beneath the sticker, though without trying to remove it, it's impossible to tell for sure what it is. I suspect it's the rules for Pit. (Edited to add: Looking at the Sport Americana guide, they only three cards they list are for Razzle, as well; it appears the assumption that Pit was issued at all comes from text on the Razzle cards advertising it.)

The rules also encourage kids to buy three or four boxes and shuffle them for the best game. I tend to wonder whether my missing card ended up in the other box that was on eBay. Both were from the same seller, who said he found them among his late father's belongings. The seller said his father had made a note that he believed they were rare and from the early 1900s. He was right on at least one of those counts. Benjamin and Eckes speculated they were 1930 or later. As far as I can tell, they're the only ones who cataloged the set.

And one more interesting note: The box is wider than the cards themselves because apparently it also was issued with a pack of gum inside (it says so on the front). The whole thing sold for a nickel.

This message has been edited by a71678 from IP address 173.23.211.8 on Aug 14, 2017 3:58 PM

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 14 2017, 4:45 PM 

H624 Wanamaker Flags with three different backs. Also, some H620 Warship trade cards and a V5 Badges and Battle Colours.

Four unlisted States and Possessions cards from Liberty Baking Co. - Jack J.

[img][linked image][/img] [img][linked image][/img]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 14 2017, 7:44 PM 

Jason, congrats on your pickup! I hope you can complete the set.

Jack, I really like those bread cards! Very cool!

Some more pickups...

"Bazooka the Atom Bubble Boy"...
[linked image]

I must say, I like the actual R5's much better than the post cards...
[linked image]

Bill
(Login wdmullins)

No score for this post
August 15 2017, 2:50 AM 

This message has been edited by wdmullins from IP address 24.120.53.206 on Aug 15, 2017 2:50 AM

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
August 15 2017, 6:45 AM 

Nice one Jason

autograp@gmail.com
(Premier Login autograf)
Owner

Great..........

No score for this post
August 15 2017, 8:18 AM 

Great pickups everyone. Love those R5's. Have a pretty nice SGC graded set of them. Those look clean. They almost look like the weight cards of the 1950's.
""

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index