Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

August Pickups

August 1 2017 at 3:02 PM
No score for this post
Ryan  (Login SumoMenkoMan)
from IP address 46.5.16.37

Latest German Flea Market Pickups.

1927 Erdal Record Aviators

Bild/Card 1: Charles Lindbergh
Bild/Card 2: Clarence Chamberlin and Charles Levine
Bild/Card 3: Richard Byrd
Bild/Card 4: Edward Schlee and William Brock
Bild/Card 5: Johann Risticz and Edzard
Bild/Card 6: Otto Koennecke

[img][linked image][/img]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Re: August Pickups

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 1 2017, 10:09 PM 

My National Pickups:

A group of strips. My lone Allies in Action pickup. Down to one Generals and their Flags after these pickups and a bit closer to Heroes of the Sea.

[linked image]

Happy to say that Jon Hardgrove's prediction that I would have trouble finding a Mother's Cookies Sports Cars #14 didn't come true. Call my set complete! Also, the T68 Geronimo completes my set. Swimmers pickups are rare for me but I needed this one. The Suchard flag was an upgrade for my set of 29.

[linked image]

A complete set of R167; nice!

[linked image]

This group speaks for itself. My first R115, R24s, R66, and blue R114. These were the best Mickey's I could find (Bob Marcy had some really nice ones but he wasn't selling).

[linked image]

My first R116, R176, R10s, and colored border low number R177 Zoom. The R144 Strange True Story is beat, but so are my other three. The League of Nations and Skybird are major upgrades for two of my cards, down to seven War News Pictures, a nice R48-1 Film Funnies (missed out on a wrapper just this week from this set; waiting for Jack to post it), a great deal on a Believe it or Not high number, and one more closer to American Beauties. Not pictured are three R170 Warriors of the World (I dropped them off at PSA).

[linked image]

Completed my Ridiculous Blue Monster set. Not sure why I started this set and happy to have it completed.

[linked image]

A wrapper for my Harlem Globetrotters set:

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 2 2017, 12:48 AM 

Great share, Daniel. A great variety of cards. Someone else got the Film Funnies wrapper. It is a beauty. You'll get the next one. - Jack J.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 2 2017, 2:18 PM 

This Fold-A-Roos wrapper is my first wrapper from a test issue. I think it will be my last.

I understand why some collectors pursue the test issues, what with their rarity and all, but they just don't give me the nostalgic vibes that make me want them. The intrigue of collecting paper items comes from the items having wide appeal and distribution in the past, but now they're almost lost to the present. The fact that almost no-one had a pack of Fold-A-Roos in 1966 makes them less attractive to me. I'm not knocking these as collectibles, they're just not for me. I'll hold on to this one to remind me not to bid on other test issues. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll start collecting them ... I never know. - Jack J.

Anonymous
(Login flubadub)

No score for this post
August 2 2017, 7:36 PM 

I'll give you 6 bucks for it and you can put your mind at ease.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 2 2017, 8:58 PM 

Thanks, Flubadub. Tempting as your offer is, I think I'll hold on to it. Besides, I printed out some card images to go with it and it looks so much better. - Jack J.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 3 2017, 5:18 PM 

One cent R701-10 Power For Peace wrapper, unfortunately missing a corner.

A five cent R714-12 Stop 'n Go and a Barnabas wrapper. Does anyone know the meaning of the "C49-L" on the left border of the Stop 'n Go wrapper? - Jack J.

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 75.80.155.54 on Aug 3, 2017 5:28 PM

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
August 4 2017, 6:29 PM 

Pretty excited (well, really excited actually) to get some partial strips of Allies in Action. I believe that these exact strips might have been posted here earlier in Chris Watson's post on Allies in Action. Sorry about the glare on that top strip.

[linked image]

Got this by accident as I set a series of Snipes and didn't lower the price from the previous Snipe. Still, it will pair nicely with my set.

[linked image]

And a couple for set building:

[linked image]

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 4 2017, 6:49 PM 

A few recent crumbs (I can't seem to win anything off ebay lately. Seems like all I do is make others pay more for their stuff)..

One of my favorites. Thanks Joe!
[linked image]

Nice lot of Cracker Jack inserts...
[linked image]

Some different comic gum wrappers (including Archie, Henry, and Tommy Swell)...
[linked image]

One of the few wrappers I have been able to pick up...
[linked image]

These are neat! Boy what a huge set though..
[linked image]

Advertising brochure for the 52 sticker set from Gulf Oil in 1972...
[linked image]

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 4 2017, 7:36 PM 

Daniel - Great AA strips.

Todd - Better a wrapper winner than a wrapper whiner. But I know what you mean. I'm getting a few, but missing out on the ones I really want. Answer: Up the ante. But I keep upping it and still miss out. - Jack J.

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 7:03 AM 

Jack,
The same is happening to me. I have almost doubled what I had been bidding and am still losing.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 10:26 AM 

Todd - Maybe the answer is to combine our wrapper collections, sell off duplicates and bid absolutely crazy on anything we need. - Jack J.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 10:58 AM 

I'm glad it's not just me. I've lost so many eBay auctions lately that I seriously started thinking earlier this week that maybe I should just take a break for a while because I can't afford $500-$1,000 per item for every single item, and that's what most of the things I've bid on in the last ... month? ... have been going for. Unless it's a BIN, I can't seem to win even with a "nuclear" bid.

I wonder who these mystery bidders are. I keep waiting for the items to show up on these boards, but so far few, if any, have.

In the meantime, I did manage to pick up this Bazooka Spalding Sports Show wrapper from Jeff Shepherd:

68kK3Pi.jpg

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 3:31 PM 

Jack,
Actually I have thought of that very thing. But not just you, with everyone's collection. We could all combine our collections and make an awesome non-sport museum. I have it all planned out in my head. The building would be several stories tall. You come into a huge atrium entrance area that takes you to a bank of elevators. You get on and you can only go to the top floor. Here you debark and you see two glass encased scenes with an aisle between them. The scene on the left is a view of the inside of a house circa late 1800's. Inside you see animatronic characters in an exact replica of what a house looks like at that time complete with furniture, etc. (similar to Disney's Wheel of Progress). You see a mom (doing what mom's do), a father relaxing and smoking a pipe. A boy and girl working on their scrapbooks. The boy is pasting in the latest tobacco cards that their father brought home and the girl is pasting the latest trade cards her mother brought home from the store (or maybe a Church & Company soda card or an insert from inside a package of coffee). On the right side you see a similar set up, but this time you see inside a store. The store happens to be a tobacconist shop complete with banners and signs on the walls. The aisle down the middle looks like a cobbled street circa the same period. On the ground (encased so you can't take them) you see various tobacco and trade cards where they have been discarded to be picked up by children. Once you enter between the 2 facade's you enter the museum where all cards from the 1800's are on display in huge acrylic panels that you can see from both sides. Original tobacco banners and signs are everywhere on this floor. (Of course we would have plaques describing things like all museums have). You go all the way through this floor and come out the back where you go down one floor and the theme repeats. This time it is the 1920's. The house depicts a similar scene this time with mom opening a loaf of bread and pulling out a card for the daughter and the boy opening caramels to find the treasure inside. The store becomes a candy shop. This floor has all things 1920's. This same thing happens as you move down each floor. The next floor is the 1930's & 40's. The next 1950's. And so on. The very last floor you come out is actually a huge gift shop. Here you buy cards from all era's - from the 1800's to today. There are stations where you can even sell your cards to the museum for the collection or for resale. We would even produce our own series of cards distributed to museum goers talking about the history of cards.

Anonymous
(Login specc)

Thumbs up!

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 5:18 PM 

Truly visionary. Count me in!

Anonymous
(Login flubadub)

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 7:03 PM 

Todd I'm shocked! You actually have $500 or $1000 to spend on an item? That's a far cry from the $5 or $10 you had when you were standing in front of my table.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

No score for this post
August 5 2017, 11:23 PM 

Flub, that was me with the $500-$1,000, and that's just the point... I *don't* have that to spend on a card or wrapper! Now if you're talking $5-$10... I'm your man!

Todd, I love the idea for the museum. If I ever win the lottery, I'll make a big financial contribution and loan part of my collection, and you can add the Rhodes Wing, spotlighting in the most overpriced cards ever bought on eBay!

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

August Pick-ups

No score for this post
August 6 2017, 1:31 AM 

Great ideas on the Gum Card Museum, Todd. By the way, it's "The Carousel of Progress."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKz6qdexetY

Back to the Museum. I think there should be an on-going narrative with each scene. The two kids squabbling over who gets the best tobacco cards from dad. Sally getting the bread card from mom while Billy trades with a friend on the front porch. Mark with the Elvis cards in the spokes of his bike tires. Dexter making fun of Craig for keeping a couple of those silly Mars Attacks wrappers with his cards while in the back-ground on the small B/W TV, John Kennedy is reaffirming that the U.S. will put a man on the moon by the end of the decade. It would be a great opportunity to recreate the memories that push us to collect. And on one wall, a huge timeline flowchart of sets and makers, how they come and go relative to major historical events. Also, a great place for a Non-Sportsman Hall of Fame.

- Jack J.

This message has been edited by fallbrookjack from IP address 75.80.155.54 on Aug 6, 2017 11:04 AM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

No score for this post
August 6 2017, 7:25 AM 

Flub - HA HA! The last time I saw you I dropped quite a chunk of change!

Jason, Sounds good! (Tip: Remember you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket)

Jack, thanks for the correction and great ideas!

One more thing I forgot to mention. The lower floor would be designed as a space where we can have great non-sport shows with free breakfast - (I haven't had mine yet so it must be on my mind).

jim
(Login visionlure)

No score for this post
August 7 2017, 8:02 PM 

R148

[linked image]

Been waiting a long time for this one

Hi Dan, please add to gallery

thanks

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index