Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Just Introduced the Hobby to Some Local Kids !!

August 8 2017 at 2:41 AM
No score for this post
Robert T Mruczek  (Login RMruczek)
from IP address 74.108.69.227

Hello everyone:

I have to share this as I must admit it was a nice feeling to see that "look" in the eyes of a young collector as they just discovered an appreciation non-sports collecting !!

About three years ago I moved into a new neighborhood, lugging the entirety of my collection among my other possessions, and I've been steadily buying more cards since, typically unopened boxes and raw cards to upgrade my PSA registry sets.

One set that I've been working heavily on is "Battlestar Galactica" (Topps 1978), and over the past 2+ years I've opened dozens of boxes and went thru thousands of cards, submitting well over a thousand to PSA for grading, saving 1200+ high-grade raw singles in case I need some specimens for another set that I am close to compiling after my submissions arrive, and I typically give away as raffle prizes for "The Wrapper" (the Les Davis publication) whatever is left over.

Anyway, I gave a small handful of raw cards to a popular local candy/newspaper store owner around the block and he gave the cards to several local kids. From what I heard, they were ecstatic !! They saw the show in re-runs after watching the modern-take on the series starring Edward James Olmos, but they never knew that these vintage trading cards even existed...until now.

That was just a hundred or so in raw, mid-grade condition, maybe enough to build most of a set.

Well, after hearing how thrilled they were, I made the decision to give the entirety of my 1200+ high-grade raw cards to the proprietor to turn over to those kids so they each build a set. I think I had multiple specimens of all but 3 or 4 card numbers out of the 132.

When I saw the look on their faces of sheer appreciation and joy it was all worth it. They are absolutely hooked and the proprietor told me that they are even giving some of the many dupes to their friends who also like the show. I haven't seen that look of a first-time non-sports collector getting into the sheer enjoyment and wonderment of our hobby in a good 40+ years !! Definitely a much better outcome than selling these as a lot on Ebay happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Les Davis
(Login LesWrap1)

That's Great!

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 10:51 AM 

Robert is the most generous of our Wrapper Drawing contributors. This is a wonderful story...if only we could pry the phones from the kids' hands(Ha). It's a start though...and well-done, Robert!!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Charley Ramone
(Login oldbubblegum)

Re: Just Introduced the Hobby to Some Local Kids !!

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 4:31 PM 

Pretty classy guy that Robert!

Good on you!

CR

Robert T Mruczek
(Login RMruczek)

Re: Just Introduced the Hobby to Some Local Kids !!

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 2:26 AM 

Donating towards a "Wrapper" raffle winner is a win-win for all involved !!

If you have suitable items that could use a good home, by all means please consider contributing towards a future "Wrapper" raffle winner's prize.

Just yesterday, another "Galactica" unopened box arrived which I had won via an Ebay auction a few days back. After extracting some PSA submission candidates, I gave the rest to the candy store owner in my neighborhood to give to the kids when they returned. I was told that their dad came this time, and one of the comments that he made was how he used to collect these cards back when he was a kid...so maybe my efforts might get that dad to join the hobby as well happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index