Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

advice for grading, 1888 cards

August 8 2017 at 11:25 PM
No score for this post
ilya  (Login ilyaw77)
from IP address 24.188.159.76

Hey guys, greetings to everyone on this forum happy.gif
I'm a cigarette card collector for past 5 years and mostly collecting Great Britain issues with a different transportation topics. Recently I finished my set of Allen & Ginter 'Pirates of the Spanish Main', circa 1888 mostly G/VG cards conditions and for the first time I started thinking if I should grade it or not. I'm not very experienced in that and wanted to hear your opinions. Also how much it may cost and which grading services (if any) you recommend.

Thanks a lot.
Ilya

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

Re: advice for grading, 1888 cards

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 1:27 AM 

I think most collectors of the issue prefer PSA.

Here is the PSA POP Report.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1888/n19-allen-ginter-pirates-spanish-main/42225

I would only send in cards you think should grade PSA 5+ (Ex). If for any future resale, you should gain a premium over grading costs.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 10:24 AM 

I don't collect N cards but if I did this one would be at the top of the list. It's a beautiful set. Grading is a contentious topic. Your set is in "collector grade" but that shouldn't necessarily keep you from getting it graded. Grading serves multiple purposes but maybe most importantly for your cards is the prevention of any future damage. If you will be handling them from time to time it would allow you to enjoy them/handle them without fear of incurring further damage. You have to decide if this is worth the cost of grading.

David M
(Login GasHouseGang)

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 12:13 PM 

If you were to use PSA the current "special" for August 2017, if you are a PSA member, is $10 per card. So if you found someone who was already a member and willing to submit the cards for you, the minimum it would cost is $500 to grade the set of 50 cards, plus the shipping charges to/from PSA.

Bill Bengen
(Login billbengen)

PSA grading costs

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 1:23 PM 

At times PSA will offer specials at even better prices, sometimes as low as $6 per card or less. If you can afford to wait to grade, it will pay to do so.

Best in collecting, Bill Bengen

Ilya
(Login ilyaw77)

No score for this post
August 9 2017, 8:34 PM 

Hi Anonymous/Dan/David/Bill,
Thanks a lot for the links and your suggestions! I did a quick research on my own today and see couple of other grading competitors of PSA - SGC and BGS.
I see some people prefer one or another. What do you think of BGS guys? One of their grading services located in New York which can help me save some
money for the sending cards out and back, but on e-bay I never saw any vintage non sport card graded by this service.

On a side note guys, I never saw any card grading in Great Britain, is it only popular in US?

Thanks a lot,
Ilya

This message has been edited by ilyaw77 from IP address 24.188.159.76 on Aug 9, 2017 8:35 PM

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
August 10 2017, 5:43 AM 

Beckett Grading Service (BGS) has three components. The main grading company grades cards from before 1980 (the vintage cutoff year) as Beckett Vintage Grading (BVG), BGS has cards from 1980-present day. So if you search for BVG, it's the same company and the same graders. There is also a low-cost section of Beckett called BCCG, which only charges a few dollars per card, but grades on a 6-10 scale, where 6 is "Poor or better" and 10 is "Mint or better"; most real graded cards collectors consider that section an annoying scam. BGS/BVG is much more respected that BCCG, but less respected than PSA/SGC because most collectors don't trust Beckett to identify some card alterations like trimming.

The main reason most people grade with PSA is due to their Set Registry feature, where you can keep track of your collection and display it to the world in an easy to search and view format. You can even scan in your cards and show them off in digital albums. SGC and Beckett allow you to track your cards, but their Set Registries are lacking. It's very hard to see what others have and there's not much sense of competition between members.

I have no idea of the demand/value increase of graded cards in England. Most Americans I talk to about the current card market are shocked to find a card in VG condition could sell for $5, but the same card in Mint could be $1,000. The exponential growth curve of a card based on condition is amazing.

ilya
(Login ilyaw77)

No score for this post
August 10 2017, 11:46 PM 

Hi J0hn Raff3rty,
Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I was looking today at e-bay for some of the pirates cards grading and it confuses me a lot happy.gif Two absolutely similarly looking cards may have two very different grading. I saw one card with rounding corners and so/so back graded Excellent 5 in PSA and very good looking card graded only 25 in SGC.

For example I do not see a difference between these two cards. Both look at least the same condition to me happy.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-N19-Pirates-of-The-Spanish-Main-43-Edward-Low-SGC-20-No-Crease-/162626753439?hash=item25dd4f539f:g:954AAOSw8lpZHl30
28$ SGC 20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-N19-Pirates-of-The-Spanish-Main-41-Mansvelt-SGC-84-/202017535409?hash=item2f092ef5b1:g:4akAAOSwrhBZHl1-
260$ SGC 84

if I send that SGC20 card to PSA I'm guarantee to get as low grade as SGC did?

Thanks a lot,
Ilya

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 12:05 AM 

The SGC 20 card looks like it has a large surface scratch, as well as possible paper loss, on the front of the cards. It also has worn corners, while the higher grade card has sharp corners.

This message has been edited by sthoemke from IP address 76.228.79.146 on Aug 11, 2017 2:21 AM

ilya
(Login ilyaw77)

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 12:09 AM 

Now I see happy.gif never would notice on my monitor if you did not say where to look for it happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index