Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

PE-OWNED

September 25 2017 at 5:19 PM
MARTY KRIM  (Login 030190)

Hello Everyone:

First let me say that I have not researched this as there could be a clear explanation written somewhere, that I have missed..

Also, as a Senior Citizen I am fully aware that each day I am LOSING valuable brain cells (well maybe not fully aware since I AM losing brain cells)..

So over the very recent past while perusing thru the maze of non-American cards to come upon USA cards, I have seen that many now bear the monicker of:
PRE-OWNED..

I am sure this has been placed in order to SOMEHOW help us in deciding whether to bid or not..but I cannot figure out HOW it helps..

So I have been obsessing over what 1888 tobacco card is NOT Pre-Owned and I have come up with an example (do you agree with this):

I come upon a printing establishment that produced USA tobacco cards in the 1880s-90s - and find some on the shelves..

I ask the owner, can we work a deal where I take with me one of these cards and sell it on Ebay and we split the profit (of course he/she INSISTS that I take 51% and who am I to say no)..

In this case, I am not the owner of the card - so Pre-Owned does not apply..

I also thought about getting some cards from a family who generations ago working in an Allen & Ginter or Duke plant and took some home with them (ahem..stolen material) and now want to place them on Ebay..
In this case, it might also be NOT pre-owned - as being in possession of a product does not mean you own it..

Many of you are now starting to wonder about my sanity as I could go on, but I am stopping..

I leave it you to PLEASE tell me what PRE-OWNED means to a potential buyer..

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cliff
(Login Marslife)

pre-owned

September 25 2017, 9:20 PM 

A certified pre-owned card or CPO is a type of used card. Most often late-model, they differ from other used cards by having been inspected, refurbished, and certified by a manufacturer or other certifying authority. They also typically include an extended warranty, special financing, and additional benefits.

Jason R.
(Login a71678)

Re: PE-OWNED

September 25 2017, 9:40 PM 

So what's it gonna take to get you to go home with this mint condition "Here's Bo" set today? Only owned once by a little old lady who bought them on the way to church for her unsuspecting grandson.

Jon Hardgrove
(Login carbking)

Pre-owned

September 25 2017, 10:29 PM 

The category makes them significantly cheaper, as the initial owner absorbed the depreciation )

Jon.

J0hn Raff3rty
(Login swarmee)

September 26 2017, 6:12 AM 

eBay is trying to become more like Amazon.com. Why else would they do this or many other dumb things like star ratings/buyer write-ups for cards. And then applying stuff like 4 STARS: "I love my reprint Ruth card; looks just like the real thing." And putting it as the customer write-up on real Ruth cards or vice versa.

At least the descriptions for baseball cards no longer talk about whether they have scratched jewel cases... wink.gif

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

Non Pre-Owned

September 26 2017, 4:00 PM 

The Non Pre-owned state most often occurs when the owner is too embarrassed to admit they owned it.

For example: Upper Deck made a set of Ricky Martin cards in 1990's and whenever one of these cards are found in with other cards the owner always claims "It's not mine!" or "Where did that come from?" or some similar expression, thus resulting in the non pre-owned state.

smpep
(Login smpep)

September 28 2017, 10:30 AM 

All I can say is ... I don't want any "PE-owned" cards in my collection.

I like my cards urine free.

Just my opinion though.

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

Pre-Owned

September 28 2017, 12:28 PM 

Pre-owned is when I put a huge bid on something that I just have to have and I'm sure I will win it. So pre-owned is that time just before I own something. Unfortunately, all to often I find that someone else had to have it more than I had to have it and the item becomes "Not-me-owned". - Jack J.

(Marty - I hope you weren't expecting reasonable or serious responses about why Ebay does something.)

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>