Vintage Non-Sports Cards
Buy/Sell/Trade Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Baseball FAQs Links Gallery of Non-Sports Cards
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

October Pick-ups

October 3 2017 at 6:22 PM

Jack J.  (Login fallbrookjack)

Have always wondered about these Tutti-Frutti cards. I like 'um.

[img][linked image][/img]

Does anyone have any information on this blank backed 7" x 9" card from the 1893 Columbia Exposition? Are there others with different images? Is "World's Fair Gum" another name for a well know brand? Does anyone recognize the artist's signature? Speculation is welcome. - Jack J.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jeff
(Login teza11)

S73 American Actresses Tobacco Silk Uncut Proof Sheet…WOW!

October 3 2017, 9:03 PM 

I know that most of the team here collects newer issue, non-tobacco stuff, but there are a few of you still around that will appreciate this rare find. Here’s the expert description:

Chromolithograph printer's silk proof, 16.75 x 23 in., single sheet comprised of 25 rectangular tobacco cards featuring colorful and attractive portraits of 12 American actresses from the stage and screen, each identified in intricately designed border. San Francisco, CA: American Tobacco Co., ca 1910. The images represent the following actresses: Fannie Ward, Gertrude Hoffman, Laurette Taylor, Minnie Dupree, Blanche Ring, Hope Latham, Stella Hammerstein, Florence Oakley, Mrs. Leslie Carter, Marguerite Clark, Valeska Suratt, and Hilda Spong.

Each silk is credited to "Factory No. 171 1st Dist. Cal.," assigned to John Bollman Co., which began to manufacture cigars and other tobacco products in San Francisco in the 1860s. The American Tobacco Co. bought half of the Bollman stock in 1900, and the company was then conveyed to Liggett & Myers when the American Tobacco Co. was dissolved in 1911. The final separate silks here were likely distributed in packets of Pet Cigarettes.

A scarce series of tobacco silks, fancier and more elaborate in design than others issued at this time.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

nice Jeff!!

October 4 2017, 10:56 AM 

silks don't get their props.......... Yours or something you saw somewhere?

Jack - the Chicago fair was EPIC. Mucho stuff produced. Think I remember a dedicated site for the expo?

Jeff
(Login teza11)

Henry

October 4 2017, 1:16 PM 

It's mine. I'll enjoy it for a while and then make it available for someone else to do the same. Hope all is good!

Jeff

Jeff
(Login teza11)

New High Number T128 Contentnea Indian?

October 4 2017, 9:00 PM 

Card No. 135 appears to be a new high number image for both Todd and Dan's gallery.

Jeff

cliff
(Login Marslife)

October Pickups

October 5 2017, 9:12 AM 

Hey All!

Yes! they are still out there! just came in yesterday, T Card "shoe box find" from across the big pond (thanks Peter).

Not the best condition but they will go a long way in filling holes in my Master Sets!

TTYL!

Cliff

XmxNRflh.jpg

f5L41r2h.jpg

JpXFyHdh.jpg

3Mo0F4Fh.jpg

LSgl1IFh.jpg

This message has been edited by Marslife on Oct 5, 2017 9:16 AM

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

Re: October Pick-ups

October 5 2017, 6:35 PM 

Jack, My wife is a huge fan of that particular World's Fair. She has some memorabilia from it. Of course, this doesn't help in any way to answer your question.

For my part here's another Dirty Dozen; some corner damage. That brings me to nine of twelve! Keeping my eyes peeled for those last three (109, 112, 113 in case anyone is looking to unload).

mneIDdVh.jpg

This message has been edited by PancakeBunny on Oct 5, 2017 8:59 PM

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

October 6 2017, 1:31 PM 

I stumbled across this on eBay and was very happy to snag it:

[linked image]

It is the original art for a Groucho exhibit card. Hand inked and marked on the back with production notes.

This message has been edited by boxingcardman on Oct 6, 2017 1:36 PM

Larry
(Login luckylarry777)

October 6 2017, 1:56 PM 

wow look at me posting something besides '60s and '70s Topps cards LOL! According to my "American Tobacco Cards" these N342 cards are some of the earliest known tobacco inserts. I like images of actresses, and need to google this group. At auction the opening bid of $10 brought home these of beaters.
Larry

DTr7AK4h.jpg

Anonymous
(Login luckylarry777)

October 6 2017, 3:13 PM 

Last month I shared the Beatles card with the meatloaf recipe on the reverse. This month I share four new pick-ups:
Larry

[urlhttps://imgur.com/nTX3GoA][img][linked image][/img][/url]

Anonymous
(Login sthoemke)

October 6 2017, 6:50 PM 

I think the World's Fair Gum piece is most likely a page from a souvenir album.

Chris
(Login chrisj1983)

October 7 2017, 11:50 AM 

Here are the results of a brief hot streak in my quest for t59/related. I'm especially happy with the D34 Ohio Baking (bottom-right) and a rather unusual Big Run OP (bottom-left) happy.gif

[IMG][linked image][/IMG][/URL]

tony fryer
(Login thescooper)

From my old mate Alan

October 12 2017, 11:01 PM 

allen mchenry
(Login allenmc)

October Pick-ups and a thanks to Mark Finn

October 13 2017, 10:54 AM 

Two original artwork Heinz pick-ups. The Rickenbacker Aviator and the Waco D Airplane from the mid-1930's Heinz Famous Aviator and Heinz Modern Airplane sets (F-277).

I'm very happy these two amazing pieces arrived safely in Houston. These two very rare one-of-a-kind originals don't make it to my collection without the incredible assistance of my good friend, fellow collector, the Iconic Mark Finn...whom I owe a special thanks.

The Heaslip Airplane bears the original signature of William J. Heaslip (regarded as one of the finest Aviation Artists of the 1920's thru the 1940's who's work includes Coca-Cola's 1942 America's Fighting Planes F-213-5, and who's client list includes Howard Hughes, and who's personal friendship includes Orville & Wilbur Wright).

Without my good friends Mark Finn & Barry Martin to help unwrap some of mysteries behind the Heinz Aviation series, these two beautiful paintings never arrive home.

I'm hopeful the planned Heaslip publication is as good as I think it will be...

In the meantime, I can look at and admire the fine artwork in front of me (with help from my good friend Ava)....

[urlhttps://imgur.com/jnlqbau][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/Aq2XzAd][img][linked image][/img][/url]

This month, my friend Ted Hamady (Smithsonian Air & Space Museum Historical Researcher) sent a personally inscribed book he wrote titled "The Nieuport 28 America's First Fighter." The Nieuport 28 was the plane Rickenbacker secured his first 6 air kills during World War I. Rickenbacker later flew the Spad XIII, and it's the Spad featured in the original Heinz painting completed by William Heaslip. Ted was very kind to send a copy of his book, it's fantastic reading and an amazing look at America's First Fighter Plane. The book is truly Amazing!

[urlhttps://imgur.com/xCd4cSd][img][linked image][/img][/url]

[urlhttps://imgur.com/oMVByG4][img][linked image][/img][/url]

allen

This message has been edited by allenmc on Oct 27, 2017 10:50 AM

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

October 13 2017, 11:38 AM 

Allen,
Those are amazing! I'm also very glad Ava helped you out.

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

very happy to see Mr. McH. is well!

October 14 2017, 1:56 AM 

and just FYI - I count 3 d's.......

Todd Riley
(Login non-sport.com)

October 14 2017, 9:21 AM 

A few recent pickups..

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

These are pickups from last weekend...

[linked image]

[linked image]

All American Club Of National Defense (theater giveaway)...
[linked image]

[linked image]

This looks like an embossed Halloween postcard but is actually from bread...
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Not sure what the story is on the Hood's black & white versions of the cards.
Could they be the first issue and were then enhanced with color?
Or are they a later issue when they were trying to reduce costs?
(we may never know)
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Ahhhh! The proverbial cigar box full of tobacco cards!
When this is found, your heart starts to race, your imagination soars!
Could there be some scarce issue in there? How about some rare back brands?
Or how about just some you need to fill in some sets?
[linked image]

Alas, it is mostly common "T" issues. At least most are in decent shape.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I really like these balck bordered backs on the Buckner issues...
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I was very excited to get this Tom Corbett Bread Label set in the albums...
[linked image]

[linked image]

I was a bit bummed that there was writing on the cover...
[linked image]

However, I then read the back and noticed that if you sent in your set it got
graded and returned to you...
[linked image]
So this child got a grade of "Very Good" for his efforts. I thought that was pretty neat!
(and "No" I didn't get the badge, who knows what happened to it)

I liked these frog tobacco trade cards...
[linked image]

I also think these mechanical trade cards are neat (HM's in the ACC)...
[linked image]

[linked image]

Daniel H
(Login PancakeBunny)

October 14 2017, 7:53 PM 

Happy to have picked up this NM group of Red Menace:

4RLf4ffh.jpg

Decent run of R120 Remember Pearl Harbor; I didn't have any R29 Century of Progress so happy to have these three; I'm down to needing ten to complete my raw master set of Sky Birds. The balance are your basic set building with a couple of upgrades.

wIkWpUBh.jpg

Huge boost on my R170 Warriors of the World. The R8-1's were part of a package deal. I have a set so these are available.

WfA8UNWh.jpg

Nice advances for a few graded sets as well as a low number colored border R177 Zoom and a Joker back R112.

1xn7FLQh.jpg

An entire R24 set was up on eBay recently. I got the easier half while I retained my usual status as the underbidder on the more difficult half. Still, very happy with this group. Also, a few strip cards for my M.P. & Co. War Scenes set.

LaTpC0Th.jpg

These next three are sort of sporty, but I'm a huge Novel fan. I'd call these R722-UNC Big League. Two are near complete boxes missing only one flap.

PY5mvmom.jpg KajTYhgm.jpg IfcTm0Sm.jpg

mr moses
(Login 1880snonsports)

Todd

October 14 2017, 10:55 PM 

LOVE the finest butterflies and bugs. One of my favorite sets.....

Jack J.
(Login fallbrookjack)

October Pick-ups

October 15 2017, 4:26 PM 

The high number Tom Mix booklets are tough in any condition and I'm glad to get these. I've not pursued the Battle cards in the past and it was a thrill to add these. No matter how often I see cards on-line, it doesn't compare to holding them in your hand and studying each card. It's feels a lot like it did when I collected cards when I was a kid. These cards have much the feel of the incredible Mars Attacks cards. Thanks Norm Saunders. - Jack J.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>