Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

Allied Power - WIP- Sherman Firefly Part 9

June 13 2009 at 1:39 PM

(Login Paul_McMahon)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi lads , I found the will power over the last couple of days to make some more progress - It's like watching paint dry at this stage but the finish line is in sight.... just over that mountain wink.gif

I was able to get the light guards into place and glue the light housing sans bulb - that will go in once the painting is done. I have added the loops onto the turret as follows.

Tools used.
[linked image]?t=1244912615

The square paper is 5x5 mm box - one line matched the scale plans I had for the distance between the upper an lower loops. I marked off on the piece of paper the attachment points of the loops. The cut strip of paper was then attached to the turret with the help of some blu-tac.
[linked image]?t=1244913179

Using the marked points I pressed the needle into the turret to get my mark point for the drill. ( Drill twist is 0.3 )
[linked image]?t=1244913356

When all the holes were drilled I made up the loops using brass wire ( .3 ). The Bug was then used to form the loops - Slip the wire under the section width- screw down - bend both ends up with blade - cut the loops and start again. The red arrow is the actual section I used for these loops.
[linked image]?t=1244913541

The loops were then inserted into the holes and pressed in until there were all a even distance from the turret. Superglue was used to fix them in place and then some Mr.Surfacer was applied over the connection points.
[linked image]?t=1244913603

I added the rear rectangular bracket with some bolt heads - these were later replaced with some wire. A wire handl was also added to the rear stowage box.
[linked image]?t=1244913711

Keeping with the turret - I detailed the commanders hatches with some handles and the the periscope- head cusion is Mr.Surfacer.
[linked image]?t=1244913875

The bent inner handle was made from a scrap piece of brass from the Fighting 48th PE set that comes with the conversion.
[linked image]?t=1244913914

Rear lower hull - the smoke emitter box was detailed with some small pieces of plastic and a piece of lead wire for the cable.
[linked image]?t=1244914025

Four grab handles were added to the rear deck. On the turret the release handle for the M.G mount was added with wire and a small disc added on the opposite side.
[linked image]?t=1244914108

Just have to add the tow shackles and a few minor pieces and then its the tracks happy.gif

[linked image]?t=1244914215
[linked image]?t=1244914281

Thats it for the moment - time for a cuppa happy.gif

As always - my ears are open to suggestions and advice happy.gif

Best regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Excellent work - Masanori Sato on Jun 13, 8:37 PM
  3. Superb work - Domingo Hernández on Jun 14, 5:39 PM
  5. Firefly serial --> Chapter 9 - Luciano Rodriguez on Jun 15, 6:37 AM
  7. The quest for accuracy. - Paul McMahon on Jun 15, 7:15 AM