Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

Tamiya GB --> JS-2 building steps from 7 to 9.

June 28 2012 at 7:25 AM

(Login cmtlu)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Hi everyone,

I follow on my own way in this -to me- rare case of 1/48th scale things don't fly.

Today is a very boring chapter, even true armor modellers. First half is about apparently intrincate parts funnier to assembly than to see in a full SBS summary. Second half is about some apparently simple parts demand much more work than expected.

Tamiya kits are simply perfect to learn how to make models. If you want someone to try the hobby just gift him a Tamiya kit, read never too many parts and perfect fitting always.

The plastic tracks included in all Tamiya 1/48th scale kits are the best way to reproduce realistically track sagging meanwhile you do not aim to move suspension arms logically. This sort of rigid tracks demands good quality production to success as they cannot be sort or long to fit right.

Track link and length parts require very little cleaning up. Only concern are the ejector marks I filled with CA glue and sanded later.

[linked image]

That left side image shows everything fits perfectly resulting in a very realistic track sagging.

[linked image]

Its necessary to follow instructions with attentions. As I advanced in my former post, tracks are not symmetric and each side follows its own assembly sequence. First I placed the upper track run over the return rollers

[linked image]

next wrapping the sprocket. I glued the links together but not to the part. The sprocket is kept free until final adjustment.

[linked image]

I repeat same procedure with the idler at front.

[linked image]

Next the six curved links part.

[linked image]

The bottom run is made by two plain simple parts.

[linked image]

The addition of the very last part proves the great precision of the Tamiya engineering.

[linked image]

Finally the road wheels are glued to the tracks with a drop of MEK.

[linked image]

Side fuel drums have been always hard to deal in plastic and the JS brigs four. Moreover, I had to change theirs mounts to the specific vehicle I am making. For that I removed the visible area in order to make the corrections.

[linked image]

Those parts also have some ejector marks to deal with.

[linked image]

One has to be careful when deleting the joints. I also removed handles and thinned the edges of the drums.

[linked image]

New mounting arms are made of fine styrene sheet. We can make the eight parts using the same measures if we work thoughtfully.

[linked image]

0.15mm evergreen strip was used for the drum strips. In order to prevent melting due to reaction with liquid glue I only glued the ends. I curved the strips with the aid of a roller before placing the parts.

[linked image]

Some small details are added with more styrene bits.

[linked image]

My major concern was how to make the handles. I was not much worried about how to get the exact shape but how to make all of them identical.

I prepared my own folding tool by adding some PE leftovers to one plain pliers and then it was pretty easy to get the right shape on thin aluminium stip. Metal strips are really convenient because its hard enough to the keep the shape but weak material to cut.

When done you can clean-up the tool and remove the PE leftovers with acetone.

[linked image]
The angled parts can be folded precisely by marking the styrene slightly pressing with a blade

[linked image]

The four side fuel drums complete. I used future to glue the strips and the handles. From here to the end I will know if I made the right decision instead of using Gator Glue for placing those delicate parts.

[linked image]

Okay, on next chapter the interesting part starts.

Ric.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. excellent work, - Roman Volchenkov on Jun 28, 8:02 AM
  3. Ok that just proves how rubbish i am at tracks!!!! - Doug Frame on Jun 28, 10:54 AM
    1. Super work - Andrew Deeley on Jun 28, 12:32 PM

4. Need some help? :) - Alvaro Rodriguez on Jun 28, 2:09 PM
  6. Pleasure to watch - many thanks. Cheers, Ralph (n/t). - Ralph Riese on Jun 29, 3:06 AM
    1. Re: Pleasure to watch - many thanks. Cheers, Ralph (n/t). - Rob on Jun 29, 5:19 AM

7. Marvelous Scratchbuilding Ricardo - Konrad Schreier on Jul 3, 11:43 AM
  9. Simply ..... - Jose Luis Lopez on Jul 3, 5:37 PM
  11. Thanks for posting this. Great info. - Calum Gibson on Jul 5, 5:34 PM
  13. Super details - Paul_McMahon on Jul 8, 2:59 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse