Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

Tamiya GB - Pz. III H in Basic Colors

July 3 2012 at 12:12 PM
  (Login koschrei)
Missing-Lynx members

The marvelous work everyone else has been doing for this GB has me just blow away - always a pleasure to see great work, but the extra effort to provide SBS detail on the process is just a wonderful way to build the scale and the hobby. My efforts of recent have been a bit scarcer, but I have managed to get some paint on the Pz. III H project. Here you can see the colors used. .

[linked image]

After a light coat of Floquil zinc chromate red primer (not shown) over the metal parts, a second overall primer/base coat was mixed from Tamiya surface primer and Panzer Grey (mixed about 1:1) thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner and put down. This coat ends up semi gloss, which is perfect for the next step.

Then some of Mig's new AK Interactive weathering fluid was sprayed on to facilitate the chipping (this must go over a smooth surface, BTW). My first try using this after seeing Mig work with it at AMPS in Indiana this spring, and it is a very useful medium. One interesting property is that the longer you let it dry the less it will react to water, so you do have to keep working or you lose the ability to chip easily.

That was followed by a color coat of RAL 8000 Gelbbraum mixed from Tamiya XF-60, XF-52 and XF-2 at a 2:1:1 ratio. That was further lightened with XF-2 for highlighting. The RAL 7008 Graugreun was mixed by adding FX-51 to the mix, for a 2:1:1:1 ratio. This color combination is the standard camouflage ordered for Afrika in 1941, and is darker than the later sand colors used by the DAK.

The low contrast is intentional, as period images show little of the pattern. The Graugreun was sprayed in wide bands freehand to create a disruptive pattern. According to the order RAL 7008 was to cover 1/3 of the vehicle, but I used less, to match the images which seem so monotone.

[linked image]

Here you can see some of the chipping up close - the AK Interactive fluid makes this process go pretty easily.

[linked image]

Lob in any comments - I can already see that some of the wheels need more attention, I will try some warm water on them now that the AK Interactive fluid is over a week old. Failing that there is always paint happy.gif

Konrad

This message has been edited by koschrei on Jul 3, 2012 12:15 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. FAB - Andrew Deeley on Jul 3, 1:54 PM
    1. Thanks Andrew! - Konrad Schreier on Jul 8, 1:43 PM

2. Re: Tamiya GB - Pz. III H in Basic Colors - Jose Luis Lopez on Jul 3, 5:52 PM
    1. Thanks Jose - Good Comment, on those colors - - Konrad Schreier on Jul 8, 2:05 PM

3. Simply delightful presentation. Hat's off. Cheers, Ralph (n/t). - Ralph Riese on Jul 4, 7:17 AM
    1. Thanks Ralph - Konrad Schreier on Jul 8, 8:57 PM

4. Nice looking so far. - Diego Quijano on Jul 5, 10:22 AM
  6. Desert beauty! :) - Alvaro Rodriguez on Jul 6, 1:35 PM
    1. Thanks Alvaro - Konrad Schreier on Jul 9, 1:30 PM
    2. Dbl post - oops NT - Konrad Schreier on Jul 9, 1:30 PM

7. Afrika Rising - Paul_McMahon on Jul 8, 2:56 PM
    1. Thanks Paul - - Konrad Schreier on Jul 9, 1:35 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse