Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

B/W camouflages! :)

July 22 2012 at 2:04 PM
  (Login CMT_Alvaro)
Missing-Lynx members

Response to very interesting

Hi:

Just some quick thoughs on the question about camouflages with the Mr Lopez technique.

Ok. Only time will tell but the key and the success of this new approach is the use of non saturated colours. Thatīs why we see all of those previously painted (b/w) details under the Panzer Grey Layer. Jose had already show us the same with his desert colour Enigma. So, for an OD or any other single coloured vehicle, the technique seems to work perfectly.

Talking about camos, and because the use of low saturation colours, the story may be different. I think that there is a bunch of camouflage patterns that may be reproduced using the same method. Think in a black over green, green over sand or so vehicles. No problem at all (*). Or multicoloured camos where the camo pattern is composed of different colours over a base colour where the camo colours do not overlap (like the camo on Ralph Rieseīs Stuka Zu Fuss here). Ok, no problem as well. The technique become more difficult (*) but not impossible to perform.

Another story may be a camo where the camo colours (the darker ones mainly) are one beside the other. Working with non saturated colours may be risky because the border between those colour may turn into a darker shade. That seems the main shortcoming to me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(*) no matter if the camo is soft (like a NATO camo) or hard edge(like a Caunter), if you go wrong painting and you had to apply any retouch could be difficult!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, that doesnīt bother me at all. I love this (hard to perform well) technique and its great (end eyecatching) result. What I see here is a model that looks like an artist picture due the richness on every single squared centimeter/inch.

In some way, and looking at those pictures, looks like Jose has turned our 3D models into 2D treasures! :D

Regards!
Alvaro

This message has been edited by CMT_Alvaro on Jul 22, 2012 2:07 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: B/W camouflages! :) - Jose Luis Lopez on Jul 23, 5:34 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse