Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

Return to Index  

Tamiya StuG III (early) with Legend stowage - lost JL's style

August 12 2012 at 9:15 PM
Ralph Riese  (Login RalphRiese)
Missing-Lynx members

I lost JL's style partly because my first mix of armour yellow was more like buff. It gave an interesting result, but by the time I added more yellow to the mix I was covering much of the underlying shades and contrast. It got worse as the overspray monster took hold of my airbrush whn applying the red brown. Subsequent reapplication of the yellow covered what remained of the experiment. Not to worry - I've learned afew things and now have the opportunity to build the late version in all-over faded armour yellow!

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
I used XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown for the red-brown. The overspray is clear here, as are my efforts to hide it with more yellow. No sign of the underlying contrast any more.

I used XF-52 Flat Earth, XF-72 Brown (JGSDF), and XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan for the dirty areas at the bottom of the skirts and running gear.

I'm hoping the filter and oils will blend the overspray together.

Don't know whether the track armour was also painted in yellow or more likely a conventional track colour. Thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Now on to some quiet, spatter-free hand painting. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. The Space Shuttle Door Gunners model club voted... - David Harmer on Aug 13, 2012, 3:52 AM
    1. I'll mount an appeal... - Ralph Riese on Aug 13, 2012, 6:20 PM

2. paint too thick? - Roman Volchenkov on Aug 13, 2012, 3:53 AM
    1. I think so... - Ralph Riese on Aug 13, 2012, 6:22 PM

3. The former work is there still.... - Luciano Rodriguez on Aug 13, 2012, 4:58 AM
    1. Colour preconceptions... - Ralph Riese on Aug 13, 2012, 6:28 PM

4. Paint - Jose Luis Lopez Ruiz on Aug 13, 2012, 5:16 AM
    1. Light bulb moment... - Ralph Riese on Aug 13, 2012, 6:36 PM
      1. Re: Light bulb moment... - Jose Luis Lopez on Aug 14, 2012, 4:02 AM

5. ' Who put that there!!" - Doug Frame on Aug 13, 2012, 5:56 AM
    1. StuG - Andrew Deeley on Aug 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
      1. Stugggg'd off !!! - Doug Frame on Aug 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
        1. Doug; Andrew... - Ralph Riese on Aug 13, 2012, 6:39 PM

6. Stugging along nicely - Paul_McMahon on Aug 14, 2012, 2:34 PM
    1. Stowage... - Ralph Riese on Aug 14, 2012, 5:57 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse