Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Turned barrel for Tamiya Stug III Ausf J ???

January 25 2009 at 5:53 PM
Tony Mollica  (Login tmollica)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Everyone,
Could you advise me if there is a turned barrel available for the Tamiya Stug III Ausf J please ? I can't seem to find any.
Thanks very much
Tony Mollica

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sven Frisch
(Login SvenFrisch)
Missing-Lynx members

Will be hard to find !!!

January 25 2009, 6:27 PM 

Because there were no StuGs III Ausf. J ! Do you mean the Ausf. G ? Armourscale should have them. You might want to check www.quarter-kit.com or track48.com

Cheers
Sven

Respond to this message   
Tony Mollica
(Login tmollica)
Missing-Lynx members

my mistake, it's for an Ausf G but still no luck

January 26 2009, 3:53 PM 

Thanks Sven, you're absolutely correct of course, it's for a G.
I've tried Track48. 3 different manufacturers list barrels for the 75mm KwK 40 L/48. These are all listed for the Panzer IV Ausf H/J (my other current project). For example, Armorscale list 3 different barrels for this gun. I used one on my Panzer IV, but it is too long when compared to the Stug barrel. Can anyone advise which would be the correct one ?
Thanks
Tony

Respond to this message   

Paul McMahon
(Login Paul_McMahon)
Missing-Lynx members

Gun barrels

January 27 2009, 8:53 AM 

Hi Tony happy.gif I have used a steel ruler to measure the length of the gun's used on the Stug III G and Panzer IV using side profiles drawn by Hilary Doyle in the New Vanguard books (#37 and #39)

The Stug III G from October 1944 has a approx barrel length of 24mm ( from a 1/76th scale plan ). This measures the tip of the muzzle brake to where it enters the topfblend.

The Panzer IV J from December 1944 has approx length of 28.5mm ( from a 1/76th scale plan ).

To convert these measurements to 1/48th scale we ( I think - willing to be corrected here ) multiple 24 x 156 and /100.

This gives a measurement of 39mm for a Stug III barrel from the tip of the muzzle brake to the LINE where it ENTERS the topfblend.

So... take one of the PzIV barrels , assemble it and then MARK off a line 39mm back from the tip of the muzzlebrake. Next widen the hole in the topfblend if necessary and gently push the barrel in until the line marked on the barrel matches up with the beginning of the topfblend.

This may be a possible work around for you. If any guys out there actually know the correct length in 1/48th please feel free to correct what I have said happy.gif

Best regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Tony Mollica
(Login tmollica)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Paul

January 27 2009, 3:25 PM 

Hi Paul,
Thanks very much for your trouble. I'll follow your advice, or, if worst comes to worst, trim off a little of the length.
regards
Tony

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse