Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Allied Power - WIP- Sherman Firefly Part 7

May 9 2009 at 11:49 AM

Paul McMahon  (Login Paul_McMahon)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi all , as this is my 1st Sherman Firefly I want it to be as accurate as possible as I am not an expert on on the in's and out's of Shermans.
I would have plowed on had not Frank Berger kindly raised his concern regarding the all open spoke wheels I had on my model. After looking through 50 Google web pages of searches , flicking through the books I have as reference and not being able to find anything to support the all open spoke wheel VC Firefly I came to the conclusion that now was the time to do something about it rather than lament later.

With that in mind I had a number of options at hand -

#1 - use the ribbed inserts from the Hobby Boss kits to fit in the Tamiya set
#2 - use the complete ribbed wheels from the Hobby Boss kit
#3 - find two set of the Tamiya ribbed wheels and cut them down the center and glue together,

As is I chose Option #1 as it was the handiest for me ( I did not want the skinny ribs of the HB kits on the outside , I also had not got enough wheels from the Tamiya to do the half and glue option - this option will be my preferred route in the future - get some spare wheels and make a resin set from a master happy.gif )

The following pix show the work done replacing the already installed open spoked wheels.

1st pix is of the Tamiya part stuck onto a piece of wood with some Blu-Tac. The wheel was pressed firmly into the Blu-Tac so as to make sure the part did not fly off while using the drill on it. The inner part of the wheel has to be removed- I did this with my drill set at a medium speed. I held the piece with my thumb and forefinger while bringing the drill to the plastic stub - I allowed some of the material to be removed , stopped and cleaned it with the chisel blade and continued with the drill. By mounting the wheel on the wood with some blu-tac it allows you to rotate the wheel easily when working from different sides to remove the plastic.
[linked image]?t=1241882894

This pix shows the tools & progress from left to right. Un-touched parts , stub material partly removed , completely removed , insert dry fitted.
[linked image]?t=1241882928

Next was the removal of the spoked wheels. I had intended to use some spare bogies to mount the wheels. When I looked at the installed wheels I just knew I would end up breaking them and possibly damaging the other hull details. So instead of breaking them off I cut the wheels along the shafts with a razor saw blade fitted in my craft knife. I then cut some 2 mm rod to size and inserted it into the new wheels. After cleaning up the cut parts on the bogies with file and sandpaper I used Tamiya Thin glue to fix them in place.
[linked image]?t=1241882978

I left a spoked wheel either side of the Sherman just to add a bit of visual difference as I know that Fireflys did have mixed wheels due to wear 'n' tear or damage.
[linked image]?t=1241883329
[linked image]?t=1241883349

This pix shows the type of track I will be fitting - Fighting 48th's Type T62 (curved cleat, 3 rivets).
[linked image]?t=1241883366

Next up is to do some more PE stuff - fit the front light guards , see about doing the lights , smoke box emitters at rear and one or two other things.
After that its the tracks i think - have to clear my mind for that happy.gif
Ohhh look time for a cuppa wink.gif

Best regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login waynebull)
Missing-Lynx members

keep going paul

May 9 2009, 4:56 PM 

loks stunning paul.the paint stage isnt to far now then you can have some fun .all the best wayne

Respond to this message   

(Login pjpanzer)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Looking very good, Paul!

May 9 2009, 6:27 PM 

Hi Mate;

You are doing some tremendous work on this one, my friend. It warms my heart to see a Firefly get such TLC. I am loving what you are doing with this build...

Don't fret over the track work, Tim's tracks are every bit as good as the model itself. Mine went together with very little fuss. Just give yourself an afternoon to fiddle, and you'll do fine, Paul.

I am eager to see more on this one....

Cheers, Pat

Respond to this message   

(Login BProbst)
Missing-Lynx members

Adalbertus wheels

May 10 2009, 3:09 AM 

Adalbertus make a set of resin replacement wheels for the Tamiya Shermans which not only solve the spoked vs. spokeless issue but are far more detailed to boot, clearly showing the grease nipples etc. on the front, and providing full details on the rear.

Check the review here:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/adalbertus/adal48504.htm

Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia

This message has been edited by BProbst on May 10, 2009 3:10 AM

Respond to this message   

Paul McMahon
(Login Paul_McMahon)
Missing-Lynx members

Adalbertus wheels

May 10 2009, 4:36 AM 

Hi Bruce , I got a set of those wheels early on and found them to be non circular. ( nice detail but the set I got disappointed me )

Best

Paul

Respond to this message   

(Login BProbst)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Adalbertus wheels

May 11 2009, 4:18 AM 

Well that sounds strange. Did you contact the manufacturer directly? I found him quite responsive (when I contacted him on a different matter).

If the wheels I got were non-circular I didn't notice it. They looked pretty round to me. You do need to do a fair amount of slightly-tedious cutting and drilling to get them onto the model, but IMO the end result was well worth it.

Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia

Respond to this message   

(Login domingohm)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Paul

May 10 2009, 12:09 PM 

a very detailed work my friend, I love the details you've entered.

Keep posting

Respond to this message   

(Login GregHessig)
Missing-Lynx members

Great Paul. best wishes with the tracks going smoothly nt

May 10 2009, 1:11 PM 

Looks nice but needs paint wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login cmtlu)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Great work & great tutorial --> The painting is near N /T

May 11 2009, 5:31 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Erik-Helm)
Missing-Lynx members

Once again Paul,

May 11 2009, 6:32 AM 

my deepest respect for your detail-party. And hope to some colour soon !?
Good job mate.

cheers Erik

Respond to this message   

(Login RickLawler)
Missing-Lynx members

Looking great,

May 11 2009, 8:38 PM 

The attention to detail will surely payoff in the end.

Rick

http://ricklawler.plastic-garden.com/

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Allied Power - WIP- Sherman Firefly Part 7
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse