Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How to make realistic bullet holes in kit windshields???

June 3 2009 at 8:57 PM
  (Login GregHessig)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi, any experience out there how to get that hole with the cracks coming out (not meant to be nasty).

Thanks, Greg

would hitting a small chisel do it?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Rathgeb)
Missing-Lynx members

Well...

June 4 2009, 8:39 AM 

...with a 1/48th scale gun, I suppose.

Sorry, I could not resist. wink.gif

As I'm writing, let me congratulate you (and all the others on this DG) for the great and inspiring work you share!

Cheers,
Peter

Respond to this message   

(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Probably the easiest way....

June 4 2009, 12:16 PM 

is to look at some photos of bullet-scarred windshields to determine the pattern of the damage. Drill small holes through the clear plastic (and you may want to use thinner clear plastic for plain glass windshields). Using a new Exacto #11 blade, draw the cracks gently where you want them. Bear in mind all modern auto windshield glass is laminated so it doesn't come apart. Many German WW2 vehicles did NOT use safety glass and sometimes their glass windshields shattered like window glass in houses. Again, look at photos for the best references. For your Hummers, you appear to be modeling the unarmored HMMMVs so the glass will not be that thick. The M1114s and other "bank vault" HMMMVs have armored windshields well over 2" (50mm) thick. It takes an RPG round to penetrate them in most cases. The cracks will radiate from the impact strikes or bullet holes, and often cross each other with multiple hits. I don't have any photos at hand to demonstrate any of this.....sad.gif You can use photos of civilian vehicle damage also - it will often look the same.

Respond to this message   

(Login GregHessig)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Bruce. It's for a civilian truck nt

June 5 2009, 7:58 PM 

nkdc

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How to make realistic bullet holes in kit windshields???
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse