Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tamiya GB, dioramas allowed?

May 23 2012 at 9:52 AM
Jon Greenwood  (Login JonGreenwood)
Missing-Lynx members

Before I start cutting up bits of foam board and getting a base ready, and getting all the other things I need, are we allowed to do full on Dioramas?
Or is it more just about the Tamiya kit itself?

Oh and whilst I am here asking, anyone got any good suggestions for cobblestones in 1/48th and some late war German infantry in action poses?

Cheers

Jon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Luciano Rodriguez
(Login cmtlu)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Of course!

May 23 2012, 10:49 AM 

John,

Dioramas of any kind are most welcome, needless to say. wink.gif

Regarding your questions,

1> Verlinden produces a reasonable cobblestone sheet in resin. Other brands produce cobblestones in paper and railroad modelling can be a valid source for that stuff too.

2> Apart the Tamiya late war German infantry (that is workable to make a couple of nice infantrymen), I recall Dartmoor making some late war figures too, not all in fully in action poses, but usable as well.

HTH

Lu

http://www.onefortyeight.com

Respond to this message   
Jon Greenwood
(Login JonGreenwood)
Missing-Lynx members

Railroad stuff

May 23 2012, 12:00 PM 

Hi Lu
Dartmoor, OK I'll check those out thanks.
What scale in railroad terms is close to 1/48th?
I have no clue about O gauge, or whatever else they may have happy.gif

Thanks

Jon

Respond to this message   
Gaston Marty
(Login GastonMarty)
Missing-Lynx members

I would not trust O scale...

May 23 2012, 3:15 PM 

There is apparently an "American" and "British" standard for O "scale", one of the two being more like 1/43, and apparently, unfortunately, the more common one for non-plastic modelling related diorama accessories...

Most of the non-plastic modelling so-called "quater-scale" stuff, both railroad and car related, despite being often described as quater-scale on the railroad side (1/43 metal cars are typically advertised correctly as 1/43 scale), almost always looks way oversized to me, and much more like the ubiquitous metal car scale of 1/43, perhaps because of this confusion. This extends even to a supposedly 1/48th scale model of the Titanic at my local museum: The ship's overall dimensions look OK for 1/48th scale, but all the seats, lounge chairs, doors and staircases on it look completely overscale, and much more like 1/43. This despite 1/48th being THE established ship modelling scale for several centuries...

There is a real "petiteness" to actual 1/48th stuff that most non-plastic modelling hobbies have a very, very hard time getting their heads around... This seriously limits the huge amount of accessories that would otherwise be useable.

Gaston

Respond to this message   
Josh Emery
(Login joshemery)
Missing-Lynx members

O scale and O guage

May 23 2012, 7:49 PM 

I can speak for the US and I believe what I say applies to the rest of the world as well. O scale is 1/48, the confusion in railroading comes from O gauge and 027. O gauge refers to the specific width between the rails. Any toy train that runs on 3 rail O gauge track regardless of the scale would be called O gauge. O gauge railroading has historically been considered toy trains as opposed to scale modelling and because of this, O gauge railroaders typically do whatever looks good regardless of scale. They use a lot of 1/43 die cast cars for example. O scale railroaders are scale modellers, they use 2 rail track and every bit as picky about scale as any of us are. The point is, if you are sure you are buying an O scale item, it is 1/48, all Woodland Scenics O scale buildings and figures are 1/48. But, you do have to be careful, items that just say "O" or O-27 are not scale items. JTT offers some very reasonable pattern sheets, they come unpainted white, not as pictured here
http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/advanced-search-results.asp?GetItemNo=50&Keywords=&Brand=&Scale=&Category=SCENERY&SubCategory=Architectural&SubCategory2=

Josh

Respond to this message   
Jon Greenwood
(Login JonGreenwood)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Tamiya GB, dioramas allowed?

May 25 2012, 1:28 PM 

Well I noticed there seems to eb a lot of RR shops in the UK, but never interested in that kinda stuff.I'll try and see if I can locate an actual shop I can go down to and see what they have that may work.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.Much appreciated.

Jon

Respond to this message   
Jim Spellmire
(Login Railmen2000)
Missing-Lynx members

US O gauge is 1/48 - European is 1/43

June 4 2012, 3:07 PM 

In the US, 0 gauge trains are 1/48th scale. However, most current 0 gauge trains (i.e., Lionel, Weaver, K-Line, etc.) are made as toys, and not exact scale replicas. When marketing true 1/48 trains, they usually identify them as 0 scale rather than 0 gauge trains. Most postwar Lionel trains actually scale out to about 1/56 scale, even though they run on 0 or 027 gauge track.

In Europe, most 0 gauge trains are 1/43 scale. True 0 scale in Europe is 1/43.5 scale, that is why HO scale (half 0 scale) is 1/87. Some European trains scale out to 1/45. That is because of the different width of tracks in Europe. Remember that when Germany went into Russia during WWII, they had to use Russian rail equipment or convert their own to fit the different sized RR tracks in Russia at that time.

Jim

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse