Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions
of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased,
and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination
of the violator's account.
It's taken longer than it should have, but it's finally finished ( a visit back to the UK to see Tangerine Dream got in the way of modelling time).
Mainly OOTB with a few added items. Decals are SKP which are great once you sort out the mistakes.
No figure with this one and I'm still trying to work out a suitable base to put it on.
Sorry to be a nit picker, but it's not a Centaur (wrong power plant) but a Cromwell mk. Vl. I'd like to do a Centaur if I can get someone to do the RMASG decals in 1/48th.
1> Congratulations on being the first participant completing two models (crusader Mk III and Centaur) for the Tamiya GB. Hope some more will follow your example.
2> Congratulations on the very nice Centaur which is your best yet to me. I really like that scheme unknown to me on a Centaur. I like the hard edge camo very much, no turret aiming markings and the white stars over the registration numbers. Very cool actually.
Thanks for sharing amigo.
PS: Looking forward to the repaint on that composite Firefly too.
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. One thing though. It's not a Centaur. It's a Cromwell Mk.V1. Virtually identical to a Centaur but it used the RR Meteor engine as opposed to a Liberty, so the engine deck is different. They were used by Czechs, Polish and British forces.
Basically Johns model is of the Cromwell mounting a 95mm howitzer, it was called the Cromwell Mk.VI or Cromwell 95mm CS.
Late built Cromwells varied in thier upper hull and hatch layout and one would assume that its likely some 95mm CS tanks were built with later decks and hatches too, Accurate Armour do conversions for the various patterns.
Effectively all you need to convert is the gun from the Tamiya 75mm to a 95mm CS that John has scratchbuilt.
Up to a point. Mk.V1 Cromwells were built on D,E & F type hulls and from what I've read (and I'm no expert), the Tamiya 48th and 35th models are based on a C type hull. This is fine if you are doing a Liberty engined vehicle or a Cromwell Mk.1-111 (or some Mk.1V's). To depict the later hulls, you need to remove the four hinges from the two rear hatches and fill the lines and sand smooth. Then a new panel line needs to be scribed across the whole deck, in line with the existing one just before the engine inlet cowl.
There is a simpler way and that is to do as I did with my Mk.V1.....cover the whole of the engine deck with stowage!! I went the whole route on a 1/35th Cromwell Mk.1Vf and redid all the hatches only to blot them out with stowage. Muppet!
One other thing. If you are going to build a specific Mk.Vl, check which type of drivers hatch it has. It could be the original uneven two piece, the "Vauxhall" hatch, the diagonally split two piece (as on mine) or the side opening type as used on F type hulls.
If you'd like a plan drawing of the D-F type hulls, send me your email address.
I used a rather Heath Robinson approach to the gun. I measured the 1/35th version from Tamiya, then using a calculator, multiplied the results by 35 and then divided them by 48.
The paint is Tamiya using Mike Starmers mix for SCC15 (sprayed) and NATO black (brush painted). The camouflage pattern is mostly guess work as I could only find profiles of one side.