Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

NEW! Upcoming Tamiya 1/48th scale Elefant

November 3 2016 at 3:57 AM

Luciano Rodriguez  (Login cmt-lu)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Gents,

Tittle says all. –> The beast is here!

Lu

(Images courtesy Gustav Jung)

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Good news

November 3 2016, 5:20 AM 

HI
Great news.

Bruce will be sad its not his M3 sad.gif

However with a new fighting compartment roof,drivers front plate and i think engine deck (?) you can do the Kursk Ferdinand. Ideally you need new tracks for the earlier ones but I'm not sure if the difference is noticeable in 1/48.

Regards
Amdrew

Respond to this message   

Luciano Rodriguez
(Login cmt-lu)
MODERATORS ONLY - 1/48 Scale

Yup, Ferdinand at last... : )

November 3 2016, 5:35 AM 

Andrew,

You are very correct and that is my choice for sure. I have zero interest in the Elefant but I am big fan of Ferdinand instead. wink.gif

Lu

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

At least the apparent lack of zimmerit will make the conversion.....

November 3 2016, 11:30 PM 

to the Ferdinand somewhat easier, thought there are snares galore in the details - a lot was changed during the reworking of the Ferdinands into the Elefants. I suspect the early tracks could be ignored in 1/48, but we'll have to see what the kit looks like. I would build this as the Elefant, since Italy is one of my theater interests. I would bet that someone in the aftermarket sphere will bring out a conversion set for the Ferdinand for the Kursk fans.

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Note that the way the parts are broken down, with separate....

November 3 2016, 11:33 PM 

superstructure roof, engine section deck, and front plate, would allow Tamiya to release a modified version as the Ferdinand, though its anyone's guess as to whether or not they actually would do that.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Note that the way the parts are broken down, with separate....

November 4 2016, 1:34 AM 

Hi Bruce
I thought that originally but I feel the breakdown is actually to keep small parts to a minimum.

If they wanted a Ferdinand engine deck they just had to mould the Elephants two side engine covers as separate items. This would do away with the need for a whole new engine deck.

As you say the IF or WHEN Tamiya do a Ferdinand would be anyone's guess. Without going to the lengths of Dragon, Tamiya could quite easily increase their 1/48 range by making these simple variants of tanks, but that's another story !!

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

I believe you are correct

November 5 2016, 10:38 AM 

Many of Tamiya's 1/48 scale armor kits are the basis for at least two different kits. Makes sense that they would eventually expand on this chassis. Wasn't there an old Italeri 1/35 scale tank that used the same hull as the Ferdinand/Elefant? I'd like to see that one.
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Technically it is a Ferdinand

November 8 2016, 8:57 PM 

The name change from Ferdinand to Elefant had nothing to do with the rebuilding of the tanks, and came some months later. So, even in this configuration, it was still called Ferdinand. Also, Ferdinand was used in official writing up to the end of the War.

Respond to this message   
Brian Crowley
(Login FirstMass)
Missing-Lynx members

Enough . . .

November 4 2016, 8:58 PM 

. . . of the German stuff. Where's an M3 half track?

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

That man wins the internet.....

November 4 2016, 10:47 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Give that man a gold star nt

November 5 2016, 12:23 PM 

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

not being a US halftrack expert

November 5 2016, 10:20 PM 

but can an M3 be used as a basis for other halftrack variants? Or has the modeling world been able to separate which versions were self propelled guns or air defense versions?

I don't know, that's why I'm throwing this out there. We've often fallen victim to our own expertise.
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes

November 6 2016, 3:10 AM 

THi
Yes the M3 Can be used as the basis for other versions.

Fortunately the modelling world didn't have to sort it out the US Army did it for us. I suggest a quick search on Wiki for M2, M3, M5, M9 it will give lots of info.

One of the easy ID features on M2/3 is the the rear hul side and rear join is square and on the M5/9 the join is rounded. The US only used M2/3 the M5/9 were exported.

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes, this is one of the confounding things about Tamiya's.....

November 6 2016, 11:13 PM 

ignoring the US half-tracks. One good kit could be converted into at least a dozen different variants, most based on the M3 but others based on the shorter M2 scout car. The M2 could be also the M4/M4A1 mortar carrier and the M2 armed with the M3 37mm AT gun as used by 2nd AD. It could also be used for an M15 MGMC (2x.50MG and 1x37mm). The M3/M3A1 could be done as the M3 GMC, M3 command/radio vehicle and the M16 MGMC. Dennis's very early tires could allow building an early North African vehicle, either M2 or M3, or M3 GMC. The same chassis and most details could be used for the M5/M9 Lend-Lease versions used by British and Commonwealth countries. I admit I have given up expecting Tamiya ever doing this, because Shunsaku Tamiya marches to his own drummer, and the drummer is on something.....happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Joaquin Gª Gazquez / panzermodelling.com
(Login jggazquez)
Missing-Lynx members

It's a compulsory model

November 7 2016, 5:12 AM 

Incredible news,

This will be a compulsory model, every one loves the 1/48 scale, must to be one.

I hope Tamiya do also a sticky zimmerit for this one.

I'm anxious to see it.

Great news!!

Regards
~JQN
Joaquin Garcia Gazquez
[linked image]
www.panzermodelling.com
www.almeriamodelismo.com

Respond to this message   

Chris Camfield
(Login Seroster)
Missing-Lynx members

Zimmerit

November 7 2016, 7:41 AM 

Someone on Facebook shared pictures of the instructions (because they were at the show where it was announced!) and it mentions

"Zimmerit Coating Sheet for 1/48 Scale Elefant (Item 12671)"

Respond to this message   
Richard Isner
(Login RichardIsner)
Missing-Lynx members

Hatches? Not opened?

November 7 2016, 7:33 PM 

Hi,

I am thrilled with the subject, but very disappointed that all of the hatches aren't able to be shown opened or closed. I personally think that limits the options.

Too bad.

Richard

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Hatches? Not opened?

November 8 2016, 4:39 AM 

Hi Richard

Tend to agree with you. Although it makes no difference to the variants I much prefer the option of all hatches being open or closed.

I think it's just a cost reason, each individual part increases the tooling costs. On the bright side Tamiya have not gone Dragons route and opened up everything and anything.

It is possible to open up the closed hatches but it's a lot of hassle. Still it is a Elephant

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Steve Faxon
(Login noxafs)
Missing-Lynx members

Opening hatches

November 10 2016, 8:42 PM 

Is fairly easy to model......good place to get started with some scratch building skills.....give it a whirl

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse