Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Panther A

November 18 2016 at 3:52 PM
Tony Ormandy  (Login Tony_M_Ormandy)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi all
I am building "Tank Workshop" conversion Panther A on to Tamiya Panther G, but cannot find 1/48 scale
mesh cover for the engine deck grills. Can someone help me out here please ?

Tony

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jeremy Connaughton
(Login Jeremy-Connaughton)
Missing-Lynx members

Have you tried Hauler?

November 18 2016, 4:00 PM 

This message has been edited by Jeremy-Connaughton on Nov 18, 2016 4:02 PM

Respond to this message   
Tony Ormandy
(Login Tony_M_Ormandy)
Missing-Lynx members

Had a look at hauler

November 18 2016, 6:45 PM 

Hi Jeremy
Yes I have a look at Hauler as I have used ear photoetched before. The Panther A mesh covers are much bigger.
Thank you.
Tony

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

etch

November 18 2016, 9:41 PM 

Hi Tony

Unfortunately nobody to my knowledge does an etch set for the Panther A in 1/48 scale.

For my Panther A build I plan to remove the inner etch screen, lengthen the etch screen frame and then overlay this on some
fine etch mesh. I did a similar thing on my IS-2 build and although fiddly and delicate it does work.

This plan is going by memory from a quick look at the etch and conversion which I have.

Ideally we need a Panther A from Tamiya wink.gif

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

What I am doing with the Panther ausf A conversions.....

November 18 2016, 11:08 PM 

is using Hauler 1/48 Tiger II ausf B engine grill sets trimmed on the inner end. Definitely not perfect, but they will look the part.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks

November 19 2016, 12:27 AM 

Hi Bruce
thanks that may be a better way to do it.

Andrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Andrew - I should have mentioned what I plan to do....

November 19 2016, 9:01 AM 

The inboard ends of the Tiger II ausf B engine deck PE grills have a couple of projecting points at the corners. I'll cut those down to make those ends as rectangular as I can. Not perfect, but it is highly unlikely that Hauler or anyone else will produce a set of PE screens for a limited aftermarket conversion set for the Panther ausf A or D.

Respond to this message   
Tony Ormandy
(Login Tony_M_Ormandy)
Missing-Lynx members

A BIG thanks to you all

November 19 2016, 2:37 PM 

Hi all
Thank you to you all for your help.

Tony

Respond to this message   

Paul McMahon
(Login Paul_McMahon)
Missing-Lynx members

Mesh covers for Panther A - A Partial Solution

November 22 2016, 7:16 AM 

Hi Tony , there is an actual set of mesh covers available from a PE producer - the problem is you only get two mesh covers instead of the desired four.

Part Model of Poland produce a P/E set for the Jagdpanther Part P48025 - Jagdpanther (1/48) and in the photo below you can see the two larger mesh grill sets.

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/part-p48025-jagdpanther-148-p-14991.html

( €17.06 for the P48025 set )

[linked image]

Two possible solutions - buy two sets to get the the desired 4 screens
or
Buy one set and use the cunning plan of deck stowage to cover up the two non covered grill areas.

Hope this is of some help

Best regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Good spot

November 22 2016, 3:27 PM 

Hi Paul
Good spot. I wonder why they did that the Tamiya is a G2? Maybe a case of forward planning in case Tamiya released one.

Thanks
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Tony Ormandy
(Login Tony_M_Ormandy)
Missing-Lynx members

Bigger Thanks

November 23 2016, 5:14 AM 

Hi Paul
Thank you,what a great find.Ordered 2 set.
Best Regards
Tony

Respond to this message   
Paul McMahon
(Login Paul_McMahon20)
Missing-Lynx members

Your most welcome

November 23 2016, 6:20 AM 

Glad to be of help to you Tony and best of luck with your build. Please post a pix or two of the finished item if you can in due course happy.gif

Andrew, I am not 100% certain why they added the bigger grills to the set - it might have something to do with the MR Modelbau 1/48th Early Jagdpanther conversion.

[linked image]

This has been out a while though I cannot tell you what came first.. the P/E set or the resin conversion!

Best regards

Paul

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Even better

November 23 2016, 9:25 AM 

Hi Paul

Even better. I was not aware that MrM had done the deck for JP G1 in his conversion. I know that fighting compartment rear wall needs moving ever so slightly but even I won't bother with that.

That may have to be a buy for me.

Regards
Andrew

This message has been edited by deeley on Nov 23, 2016 9:29 AM

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Regrettably, the MR early Jagdpanther rear deck has a problem.....

November 23 2016, 2:45 PM 

The air intake grills are the wrong pattern. They look good but have three fore and aft ribs instead of the two that there should be, and I just caught this - they also have a fourth transverse web instead of the three there should be. Here is a photo I cribbed off the web - this is the Jagdpanther ausf G1 in the IWM in London:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by baker24 on Nov 23, 2016 2:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Good spot

November 24 2016, 12:21 PM 

Hi Bruce
Thanks you saved me some money. How did Mr B get it soo wrong ?

Still back to plan B

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Andrew, if you have a Panther A/D conversion from TWS,

November 24 2016, 9:44 PM 

you could make a scab mold of the intake grills from that. Of course, there is no prototype for the narrow intake next to the aft superstructure wall.....sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Andrew, if you have a Panther A/D conversion from TWS,

November 25 2016, 3:37 AM 

Hi Bruce
I'm away from my reference at the momentum.

The two forward narrow grill intakes which are next to the fighting compartment rear wall. Are these not the same as on an Panther Ausf G ? I had a quick look on the net and they appear to be the same as the Ausf G. I will check my PT books when I have a moment.

Yes I have a TWS Panther A/D conversion. I'll check the pt books.

It's just a shame MrB did get it so wrong as their intake matches no JP or Panther grill know. Maybe a WoT special sad.gif

Regards Nadrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce Culver
(Login baker24)
Missing-Lynx members

Andrew, the front intake grill is the same size as the Tamiya G2....

November 25 2016, 10:46 AM 

but the details are different - on the JgPnthr G2 the grills have all straight transverse webs, but on the G1 they were curved as for the Panther ausf A. So the grill webs would have be to be made curved as much as possible, a real pain in the patoot. Here's another shot I pulled off Google Images:
[linked image]

Note how the late (G2) grills have the three vertical webs, probably where MR got that detail, but the early grills have only two.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Deley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Re grills.

November 25 2016, 2:27 PM 

Yes Bruce your spot on.

Funny I had trouble finding plans when I googled - lots of Russia birds thought !! -

Yes a moulding if the TWS grill is the way to go, also the front grilles are different sizes by the looks to.the G2 longer than the G1.

On second thoughts it's really a whole new engine deck if one doesn't not to lengthen the fighting compartment. Maybe a 3D printer is needed happy.gif

Regards
Andrew

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse