Home > Discussion Groups > 1/48 Scale

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Groups. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=47210&messageid=1113823253
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Advertisement

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any issues with the Tamiya JS-2?

February 1 2017 at 12:54 PM

Rob Gronovius  (Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

Just picked one up in a trade and plan on working on the kit this weekend. Any problems to look out for? It looks to be a straightforward build, but being forewarned is forearmed.

BTW, any real reason to put the four metal weight rods inside other than to add some weight to the kit?
RobG
rgronovius(at)hotmail(dot)com

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Probably not unless you are super fussy

February 1 2017, 4:32 PM 

Nice enough kit overall. I dont know about the roadwheel size, but oddly they got that wrong in their 1/35 IS-2 and ISU=152 but they were correct in the older IS-3. But, its relatively trivial. The weights just add weight... older Tamiya kits had a metal chassis but more recent ones are plastic with add in weights.

Respond to this message   

Wayne Bull
(Login waynebull)
Missing-Lynx members

Nothing much

February 2 2017, 2:08 AM 

Just small stuff like blanking the periscopes to avoid the see through.and some more detail on the commanders cupola and some new engine grills if your so inclined. Other than that not a lot needs doing. Here's my second one half way done

[linked image]

Have fun
Wayne

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks

February 2 2017, 10:18 AM 

the kit came with Hauler engine screens. Yes, I know the original Tamiya kits came with diecast metal hulls. I have virtually all of them.
RobG

Respond to this message   

Alvaro Rodriguez
(Login CMT_Alvaro)
Missing-Lynx members

Interesting build log here...

February 2 2017, 10:47 AM 

Hi Rob:

No idea how much you want to add or change to your build but here you got an old but rather nice and interesting vissual building blog on that beast.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1337698157

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1338246216

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1339874004

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1340535078

HTH!
Alvaro

Respond to this message   

Wayne Bull
(Login waynebull)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Alvaro

February 3 2017, 10:12 PM 

Do you know if it is the cyno(superglue) or the accelerator that turns it black.I have never seen that before and none of the brands I have here in NZ do that as far as i know. The reason i ask is that i think colored superglue would be handy as it would be easy to see where you put it ( eye sight is a bit less than perfect at close range)

Thanks for the link and through that the site .Some very nice work goes on there and i never knew it existed till now.

Have fun Wayne

Respond to this message   

Alvaro Rodriguez
(Login CMT_Alvaro)
Missing-Lynx members

Black CA

February 4 2017, 9:26 AM 

Hi Wayne:

It´s not the accelerator but the cyano glue... that is black coloured.

Coloured cyano glues have been around for some time (that build log is amost five years old already) and those are quite handy as, as you said, are far easier to see than clear ones. Those are available not only from some glue manufacturers but from modelling ones also, like Wave.

Black cyanos use to be "rubberised", that is, tinted using rubber dust particles. It is supposed that could add some flex at the cured cyano (that should be also a rather interesting feature) but that´s hardly noticeable at all.

Those use to be as much expensive as ordinary clear cyanos. But I would advise you to look for alternate sources (like eBay i.e.) as this seems to be quite popular item for make up... at least for some chinese manufacturers!

Regarding the accelerator, no secrets here. a must have if you wanted to (a) use cyano glues as fillers -like Ricardo did in a few parts of his JS build- or to (b) avoid any collateral damage by cyano fumes like in clear parts. A word of caution here. Not all cyano accelerators are safe for modelling -some might be rather agressive- so I would suggest you ensure to use one labeled as "foam safe".

HTH!
Alvaro

This message has been edited by CMT_Alvaro on Feb 4, 2017 12:31 PM

Respond to this message   
Bryan Krueger
(Login MaschinenKrueger)
Missing-Lynx members

Excellent build log! Thanks for sharing the link.

February 7 2017, 11:26 AM 

Respond to this message   

Shon Stephens
(Login shonrs)
Missing-Lynx members

I remember this build...

February 11 2017, 9:13 AM 

... and I was really impressed. Did the modeler ever post pics of it painted, Alavaro?

Thanks,
Shon

Respond to this message   

Alvaro Rodriguez
(Login CMT_Alvaro)
Missing-Lynx members

Painting SBS

February 16 2017, 2:10 PM 

Hi:

Yes, of course, there is also a highly detailed step by step about the painting of that beast... but be aware! As the painting scheme may not be the one you would be expecting for! wink.gif

As a teaser, I can tell you in advance this is the subject that inspired that project:

Military_Tech_Museum_Lesany_2010_01.jpg

Anyway, the SBS well worth a look IMHO!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1341625166

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1342197441

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/message/1344967775

HTH!
Alvaro

Respond to this message   
Shane Ahyong
(Login Stomy)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Any issues with the Tamiya JS-2?

February 3 2017, 6:30 AM 

Great kit. You have the etch screens, so the other detail to fix (if you could be bothered) is the width of the vision slits in the commander's cupola - slightly to wide. As already mentioned, you might also want to blank off the sponsons, periscopes and turret ventilator. The wheels are fine dimensionally.

There has been some debate about the road wheel diameter in 1/35 - noticeably too small in the Dragon kits. The difference between Tamiya's IS-2 and 3 wheels is fractional, even trivial. Measurements of actual vehicles differ slightly accounting for the difference between the Tamiya IS2 and 3 measurements. If I had no nit-pick the surface details of the Tamiya IS-3 wheels have slightly more finesse than the IS-2 (IMO).

Cheers,
Shane

Respond to this message   

Alvaro Rodriguez
(Login CMT_Alvaro)
Missing-Lynx members

Wrong reply! (deleted - n/t)

February 16 2017, 2:09 PM 

Alvaro

This message has been edited by CMT_Alvaro on Feb 16, 2017 2:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Andrew deeley
(Login deeley)
Missing-Lynx members

Etch screens

February 3 2017, 9:58 AM 

Hi
Hauler do etch screens they do two types

1 square mesh for post war
2. Diamond mesh for ww2

Andrew

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
Missing-Lynx members

I have wartime screens

February 3 2017, 1:54 PM 

I plan on a basic out of box build with the obvious addition of the screens.

Thanks for the input guys.
RobG

Respond to this message   

Wayne Bull
(Login waynebull)
Missing-Lynx members

Dont forget

February 3 2017, 10:04 PM 

To add a bit of texture to the cast parts as they are in need of a bit roughing up as russian stuff tends to be a bit rough and the weld beads as again they are pretty viable and not the neatest welds.

Lookforward to seeing how you go with the project

Have fun
Wayne

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse