Back to PuttingZone
Respond to this messageMain
Original Message
  • Re: Lifting vs Keeping Putter Low
    • (Login puttmagic)
      Posted Mar 3, 2003 10:26 PM

Hi Geoff, thank you for taking the time to provide your insight into my question. I read your response several times and found that I got a much better understanding of what could be happening with my stroke. I experimented with several "feels" and I was having difficulty getting consistent. However, I have finally found out what was happening in my
      stroke.

I was not having a problem with keeping the face square through impact and I remain very accurate in terms of direction. What I tend to do is actually extend my arms toward the target in my stroke. Very slightly, but still there is a separation from the connection with the shoulders because I am allowing the arms to "swing" toward the target. This swinging is causing the larger contact dispersion than what I want. Also, I was setting up with the heel of my putter higher than the toe...... I mentioned earlier that the sole of my putter is rounded so I need to feel the face level.

My wrists are not breaking down, but my whole left and right arm are extending to the target..... I guess not the worst mistake you could make.... but still it introduced variability. I have been working on keeping the relationship of my arms constant with my shoulders and the results are very good so far. The impact pattern is now much better. Most of the marks are within 1/4 inch with some outliers toward the toe to 3/8ths or 1/2 inch. I must admit that this is practicing in my den.... unfortunately Mother Nature is not cooperating in the Philadelphia area..... but now I know what I need to do to get more consistent striking of putts on the sweet spot.

I suspect that the same move is what may be causing my tendency to hit full shots with my irons thin...... can't wait for the weather to break so I can experiment with that as well.

I really appreciate your help. If you are interested, I'd be happy to explain what feelings I am using to get the desired results. But I assume you already know. Thanks again Geoff.

p.s. I picked up a copy of "The Mental Art of Putting" when I saw your recommendation on the jacket cover. OK, I'll come clean... I probably would have bought it anyway, but your recommendation helped.

Regards, Ed

Phone (908)-953-7027
      Cell (215)-353-6175
      AMS Project Executive for AVAYA
      Internet: EDZEBROW@US.IBM.COM
      NOTES: Edward Zebrowski/Philadelphia/IBM
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.