Back to PuttingZone

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  

Geoffrey Mangum Biography

April 15 2015 at 1:00 AM
sammy  (no login)
from IP address 50.101.100.188

Geoff... would you consider writing a brief autobiography so we all know who you are and where you're coming from?

I've searched the internet about you, but it's still too nebulous to pin you down fully. Perhaps your CV is somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

Wikipedia would be okay. Thanks. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

My Bio

April 18 2015, 10:56 AM 

Dear sammy,

It's pretty straight-forward.

Born September 18, 1952, in Norfolk, Va; grew up in Leaksville, later Eden, NC, to age 18 in 1970; attended UNC-CH undergraduate school 1970-1973 and graduated in 3 years with major in English and minor in math and physics; worked a year as a janitor 1973-1974 in a hospital and went to Europe; then attended graduate school at UNC-Greensboro for a Masters in English 1975-1977 then in the PH.D. program 1977-1978; left to attend Wake Forest University Law School 1978-1981 for a JD degree; practiced law in Legal Aid 1981-1982; married to Anne in 1982 and helped raise her two daughters then ages 14 and 12; served as the Indian Law attorney for five North Carolina tribes in Legal Aid 1982-1984; at the Office of the North Carolina Appellate Defender 1985-1988 winning 16 of 20 cases in the first year (80%) and a career record of 34 wins in 63 cases (53%) versus average attorney rate of 25% -- the highest success rate of any criminal appeals attorney in the history of practice before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court; private practice in Winston-Salem, NC, 1988-1990; private practice in Greensboro, NC, 1990-1996; quitting law and taking up golf beginning in 1990 at age 38; worked as greens keeper mowing greens and setting pins and the like at four courses 1996-1998; founded PuttingZone in 2000 after ten years of research and study combining all writings on putting since 1870 with modern sciences of physics, anatomy, biomechanics, motor sports learning, and the new neuroscience of brain function for perception, movement, learning and other putting-related processes; published book Optimal Putting: The Brain, the Instincts, and the Four Skills of Putting in 2005; currently operating the PuttingZone network of over 200 Certified Coaches teaching in 21 Countries worldwide, with twice-yearly teaching tours of Europe and twice-yearly teaching tours of China.

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum
Putting Coach and Theorist

PuttingZone.com -- over 200 Certified PuttingZone Coaches teaching in 21 Countries Worldwide and growing strong!
The best putting instruction in the history of the game -- integrating the Four Skills of putting (reading, aiming, stroking for line, and stroking for delivery pace) by combining all putting lore in history with modern science for physics, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, motor sports teaching and learning and performance, and especially the NEW brain science of the non-conscious processes of perception and movement action in putting skill.

This message has been edited by aceputt from IP address 71.54.49.31 on Apr 30, 2015 3:42 PM

Respond to this message   
sammy
(no login)

Thank you, Geoff .....

April 18 2015, 3:16 PM 

I knew you were a lawyer but I didn't know why you were so knowledgeable in math, physics and logic, and now I know. Your comprehension of the neuro-sciences is reasonable.

Your English (not American) grammar is what grabbed me too, and again my curiosity is satisfied. I sincerely thank you. Bobby Jones was an engineer, English lit, and lawyer, and it all shows in his golf books.

Many a time I had to parse your comments sentence by sentence to fully comprehend some of your occasional overwhelming pedantic prose! wink.gif

Of course, I could ask you many other nosy questions about your life and experiences but I shall resist... except for this one question if you will permit me:

"...quitting law and taking up golf beginning in 1990 at age 38; worked as greens keeper mowing greens and setting pins and the like at four courses 1996-1998..."

Why?! Retirement?! Epiphany?! Happiness?!

Respond to this message   

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

Lawyers and the Legal Profession Suck

April 20 2015, 8:43 AM 

Dear sammy,

When I first decided to go to law school and become a lawyer, I wanted more than an academic life, something real that mattered to others. Boy, what a mistake to think that the legal profession would welcome that!!

After 3 years of law school and 10-15 years practicing law (I "started" quitting in 1990 but wasn't able to fully extricate myself from the quagmire until about 1996 or so), I learned first-hand and with great certainty that the legal profession is ONLY for the propertied class and is utterly arrayed against the poor, the working class, and the individual. Lawyers who gain status and financial success (apart from "drug lawyers" and "ambulance chasers") are those who work exclusively for 1) Corporations, 2) Insurance Companies, or 3) Governments.

You might notice that all three of these sorts of entities OPPOSE INDIVIDUALS, not exclusively but definitely primarily. And when the lawyers for these entities fight the individual, they get paid and funded in the fight with MONEY TAKEN FROM INDIVIDUALS -- corporations use consumer dollars to fight consumers, insurance companies use the insured's premiums to fight the insured, and governments use taxpayer dollars to fight the citizen. So these lawyers get money, stability, and societal status and respect. And the State Bar and Bar Association embrace and reflect and protect and reward this fundamental alignment of the profession, while spurning those who stand on the other side of the battlefield. For example, a person who chooses to work for the poor gets ever-after branded by peers as a "sub-lawyer" and finds great difficulty getting a second job, regardless of talent and ability. I personally was often insulted and treated rudely by other "real" lawyers because of my "low status" in the professional pecking order. Once when I was raising my family in a small town representing Native Americans as part of Legal Aid, a local "civil lawyer" actually attempted to take my teenage stepdaughter out of our family to "save" her from her "bad" family environment. Over a three-year span, two other "civil" lawyers whose restored historic house (serving as their office) was adjacent to my driveway passed me within five feet every morning and NEVER said hello or acknowledged my presence in the driveway or my status as a fellow member of the Bar. Quite clear how they saw things!

The legal profession then encourages and rewards those with "situational ethics" at best, and favors people without empathy or compassion or ideals in favor of the bleary-eyed functionaries of the hierarchy. Of the thousands of lawyers I met, not more than 2% were tolerable as human beings.

In addition, the legal profession is racist and up until about 1975 was sexist as well.

According to a recent national study of minorities in the legal profession, "African-American representation among lawyers dropped in 2013 to 4.2 percent from 4.7 percent in 2009, whereas the percentage of Hispanic and Asian-American representation increased to a five-year high of 5.1 percent during the same time frame." The US Department of Labor said:

"Based on Department of Labor Statistics, the IILP found that “[a]ggregate minority representation among lawyers is significantly lower than minority representation in most other management and professional jobs. While aggregate minority representation [sum of all ethnic minority groups as percent of total lawyer population] among lawyers slightly inched up in 2013 to 14.4 percent, this representation still remained lower than the professional labor force as a whole (25.8 percent), and lags behind other professions such as accountants and auditors (27.8 percent), software developers (38.2 percent), architects and engineers (24.3 percent), and physicians and surgeons (31.8 percent)."

These percentages compare to the ethnic mix in America as follows:

Americans 308,745,538 100.0 %
White American 223,553,265 72.2 %
African Americans 38,929,319 12.6 %
Asian American 14,674,252 4.8 %
Native Americans or Alaska Native 2,932,248 0.9 %
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 540,013 0.2 %
Some other race 19,107,368 6.2 %
Two or more races 9,009,073 2.9 %

So Blacks are 12.6% of the general population but only 4.2% of the legal profession, only one-third the number of Black lawyers that would constitute "parity" in society, and that number is declining.

While I was pretty successful in battle, the profession had no place for me, so I am now a confirmed lawyer-basher> After I quit the profession, I taught minorities and women how to pass the Law School Admissions Test in free five-class sessions twice a year, and this was the FIRST LSAT preparation class specifically for minorities concerning the admittedly "racially and culturally biased" LSAT (according to the Law School Admissions Council, created just because of that reason). I also helped minority law graduates for free prepare to pass the State Bar. That was my way of combating the racism in the profession.

So, I was determined to have nothing further to do with the legal profession, and that gave me time on my hands, and I took up golf again at age 38. At that age and with a legal background for learning alien expertise, one does not waste a lot of time getting oriented to a sports skill. That's why I read everything there was to read about putting over a number of years (1990-2008), researching and locating and organizing all that had been written in golf since 1870 about putting skills. And then surveying this existing lore 1870-2008 with basic analytical skills and critical intelligence, it was obvious that golf has never seriously thought about putting skills for reading, aiming, stroke and touch. At that point, about 5-10 years into the study, it became obvious that if I wanted to putt well, I would have to study and resolve how these skills work from scratch, and so I began looking for sciences that would apply to that project: physics, anatomy, biomechanics, motor learning, and neuroscience. I've been on the hunt down that trail ever since.

Cheers!

Geoff

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Back to PuttingZone