Back to PuttingZone

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  

Aiming the putter face accurately

August 21 2015 at 11:51 PM

Geoff Mangum  (Login aceputt)
Owner
from IP address 71.54.49.31

Aiming the putter face accurately:

An interesting technique for accurately aiming the putter face thru the ball at a distant target is surprisingly simple -- 1. Stand back behind the ball and face directly along the line from center of ball to the target spot; 2. When viewing the ball from the "straight-on" perspective, the ball looks like a circle or like a dart board hanging on the wall with the line of sight aiming 90 degrees into the wall; 3. The "bullseye" on the back equator of the ball (as dart board) is thus uniquely selected by the "down-the-line" perspective and is "centrally located" at the exact middle of the circle of the ball; 4. Walk into the ball keeping the eyes on this exact dimple or spot on the equator of the ball and then put the putter's sweetspot right next to this "bullseye" spot; 5. With the putter face's sweetspot "touching" the ball's "bullseye" spot, see the straight line from this back equator "bullseye" thru the center of the ball, and then twist the putter face until the AIM of the putter face 90 degrees off the "sweetspot" splits the ball in half from "bullseye" thru center of ball.

That's it -- see the "bullseye" when lined up to the target, place the putter sweetspot at the ball's "bullseye" spot on the back equator, then aim the putter face thru the center of the ball. There is no real need to try to point the putter face at the far target, so long as the "bullseye" is where the sweetspot touches.

Very simple and you're safe and accurate from the point the putter sweetspot is matched to the "bullseye", since the "aiming" thru the center of the ball is already determined by the "bullseye"-center line thru the ball. Just seeing the "bullseye" and then matching the sweetspot to the "bullseye" is really all that requires care.

This is one of many "first-ever" innovations for putting skills developed in the PuttingZone,http://puttingzone.com, the most comprehensive and effective putting instruction in the history of the game, with over 200 certified PuttingZone coaches teaching in 21 countries worldwide!

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum
Putting Coach and Theorist

PuttingZone.com -- over 200 Certified PuttingZone Coaches teaching in 21 Countries Worldwide and growing strong!
The best putting instruction in the history of the game -- integrating the Four Skills of putting (reading, aiming, stroking for line, and stroking for delivery pace) by combining all putting lore in history with modern science for physics, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, motor sports teaching and learning and performance, and especially the NEW brain science of the non-conscious processes of perception and movement action in putting skill.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Markd
(no login)

Leonardo

August 24 2015, 2:34 PM 

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication! Bravo, well done!

Respond to this message   
sammy
(no login)

Best Guess?....

August 25 2015, 1:39 PM 

Seems like "...twist(ing) the putter face until the AIM of the putter face 90 degrees off the "sweetspot"..." is just a "best guess" alignment attempt because there is nothing to indicate when the putter face is 90 degrees off.

Also, there is no guarantee that the putter face and path return to the ball at 90 degrees off.... so again it's a best guess again .... statically and dynamically.

Respond to this message   

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

Splitting the Ball for Aim and Stroke

August 29 2015, 2:55 PM 

Dear sammy,

That is exactly incorrect. Once the exact back of the ball is identified, there is NO OPTION about how to aim the putter face thru the center of the ball and it is OBVIOUSLY EASY. Two points make a line, and in this case one is "selected" (the back of the ball) by looking straight along the aim line thru the back of the ball, and the second one is obviously NOT OPTIONAL (the center of the ball), and is also EASY to aim thru.

The aim of the putter face SPLITS the ball in two halves by this central aim thru the center, and this split line is also the STROKE line to move the putter face sweetspot straight along this SPLIT line. And that is perfectly correct.

It's no more "guess work" than knowing the way from one point on the back of the ball equator thru the center of the ball. You might want to try it to see just how accurate and simple this is, as it does not require any "pointing" of the putter at a remote target, since the back point on the ball combined with the OBVIOUS CENTER of the ball accurately points at the target automatically.

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum

PuttingZone.com -- over 200 Certified PuttingZone Coaches teaching in 21 Countries Worldwide and growing strong!
The best putting instruction in the history of the game -- integrating the Four Skills of putting (reading, aiming, stroking for line, and stroking for delivery pace) by combining all putting lore in history with modern science for physics, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, motor sports teaching and learning and performance, and especially the NEW brain science of the non-conscious processes of perception and movement action in putting skill.

Respond to this message   
JP
(Login 86general)

The aiming line

September 3 2015, 2:36 PM 

That is genius! Can't wait to try it.

Question....regarding your video showing how to set your hard, eyes, and throat over a putt, then swivel the head like an "apple on a stick" to trace the line to the target--you teach this using the right eye. I am left eye dominant. Is there a different procedure for left eye dominant people to trace the line?

JP

Respond to this message   

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

Dominant Eye and Beside-the-Ball Aim Checking

November 14 2015, 4:18 PM 

Dear JP,

No, eye dominance does not matter in beside-the-ball aim checking. The GEOMETRY is what runs ANY eyeball straight along the ground, and the setup plus aim the skull 90 degrees off the head-rotation axis and aiming the eyeballs also that way is what makes the line across BOTH eyes match that line on the ground sideways to the aim line of the putter face.

The only "one eye" in the aiming technique is to use the REAR eye (whether dominant or not is irrelevant) to get sensitized to the one focal spot of the visual field when the eyeball aims straight out of the skull, as this spot 1" sideways off the bridge of the nose is the visual laser beam spot that actually runs straight sideways and that also uniquely identifies the exact end of the line spot where the putter face actually aims.

Other than that, the aiming is the same by one golfer putting right handed and then the same golfer putting left handed. Square up to the aim line of the putter face, aim the skull at the beginning of the aim line, rotate the head, and follow the eyeball along the ground to the end of the line in the focal spot of the rear eye.

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum

Respond to this message   
Blesi
(Login Blesi)

Greater Detail on Aiming the Putter Face

September 20 2015, 8:15 PM 

Dear Geoff,

Thank you for your generosity in sharing your insights about putting. I am continually impressed with your ability to sort through the details of the different aspects of putting using your knowledge of physics, human anatomy, geometry and golf course design. The way that you cut through putting theory dogma is refreshing, and your insights have definitely helped my putting.

I'm hoping that you will graciously expand upon your recent post that introduced an innovative way to aim the putter face. In particular, I'm interested in what I'll call the "order of operations" of this method.

You state: "4. Walk into the ball keeping the eyes on this exact dimple or spot on the equator of the ball and then put the putter's sweetspot right next to this "bullseye" spot". My first question is whether you are suggesting that we already have taken our stance to the side of the ball when we put the putter's sweetspot right next to the "bullseye spot", or are you suggesting we place the putter at this spot before we have completed taking our stance at the side of the ball when our eyes can still focus on the back of the ball?

Next question: You state: "Walk into the ball keeping the eyes on this exact dimple or spot on the equator of the ball". Having attempted this in my practice sessions I have found keeping my 65 year old eyes focused on an exact dimple is quite difficult. Are you literally able to focus on an exact dimple, and if so, is this a skill that most people can intentionally develop over time? Do you have any suggestions for developing this skill?

Thank you for considering these questions and thank you for the fine work that you do.

Blesi

Respond to this message   

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

The Bullseye Spot

November 14 2015, 4:25 PM 

Dear Blesi,

Before or after doesn't matter much to me, but perhaps it makes a difference to you.

Seeing the exact back is partly a cognitive understanding that the back dimple on the equator is the same as the center of the circle seen in the at-the-target direction, always equidistant from every point on that circle.

Then it is anchoring the bullseye spot to real spots on the ball or the grass near the ball. For example, the bullseye may be next to the first letter "i" in "Titleist". The exact back of the ball may also be directly above a certain grass blade vertically below it, and these two spots are on the aim line or in the vertical plane of the aim line off the surface plane.

If you cannot keep this spot in vision, yes that training can improve over time.

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login Robertcg)

Line on ball for aiming

April 1 2016, 12:39 PM 

Geoff I draw a line on my ball.I then pick an aiming point on the green and align the line on the ball at my aiming point. I double check that the line on the ball is correctly aimed by standing behind the ball and using either edge of the putter shaft as an extension from the ball line to the aiming point with my dominant eye open only. If alignment is good I step to the ball , square the putter face(which also has a line on top of it) to the ball line, then set my body lines parallel to the ball line. At this point aiming is no longer part of my thinking process. I trust my aim and have one less thing to think about. Also the line on the ball gives me feedback about my putter face alignment and stroke path at the point the ball leaves the putter face. A wobbly line as the ball rolls tells me the face and or path was wrong .A end over end roll with no wobble tells me my path was correct and the face was square and if the ball misses the hole I can't blame putter face alignment or path. I realize I am using crutches but if allowed by the rules why not take advantage. What are your thoughts?

Respond to this message   
Wayne
(Login waynerlen)

Dead-Eye Putting

April 21 2016, 10:30 AM 

Mr. Mangum, I recently posted an article supporting the Dead-Eye method in putting. I mentioned that in the back stroke of the putt I started using the right shoulder to start the swing rather than the left(I am right handed and right eye dominate). Would this be a correct way to start the putt? I find that it helps me to fire at the target better.

Thanks, Wayne

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Back to PuttingZone