Back to PuttingZone

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  

Dead-Eye Putting

April 21 2016 at 10:18 AM
Wayne  (Login waynerlen)
from IP address 172.2.221.50

Recently I have had trouble with my putting stroke. I went on the internet to find some help. I came across and article called Dead-eye putting, written by Geoff Mangum. The article was comprehensive. After reading the article I went to he local golf course to practice. spent 1 1/2 hours using the Dead-Eye method. I made some putts and missed others. I returned home and read the article again.

This past Tuesday before my round of golf I practiced on the green and still did not feel quite right with the putts. For some reason I worked with my pendulum stroke. I was starting the stroke with my left shoulder (I am right handed), but decided to start the stroke with my right shoulder. I started making the putts right away because my right hand was now going thru the ball and on line. The other thing that helped was one of the key factors in Dead-Eye putting. That was to use a straight and level fixed gaze out of the head - without using eye muscles - to look vertically down on the ball then scan straight alone the line of the putt to the target.

I encourage all golfers to review this article and implement this technique.

Thanks,

Wayne Wilson
DeLand, Florida

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

First and Only

May 18 2016, 11:14 AM 

Dear Wayne,

I frequent DeLand a lot for the two good bookstores there.

I need occasionally to point out and claim that my teaching about how to use the straight-out gaze for perceiving accurately where any putter face aims across the green is the FIRST and ONLY teaching in golf that gets that skill figured out. Frankly, no one in golf history has ever seriously tried to figure out how the body works for aim perceptions.

This is a beside-the-ball technique or skill about assessing where a previously-pointed putter face actually points or aims. It is not really a technique for pointing the putter face -- only for verifying or checking where a pointed putter face actually aims. But if you in fact have this skill, then you can venture forward to point "sort of" correct and the find out exactly where that effort ended up pointing the putter face, then adjust the pointing anew and check it again. This beside the-ball POINTING can ONLY be tried if and only iff you have the skill and technique for straight-gave checking where any putter face in fact points.

Cheers!

[linked image]

Geoff Mangum
Putting Coach and Theorist

PuttingZone.com -- over 200 Certified PuttingZone Coaches teaching in 21 Countries Worldwide and growing strong!
The best putting instruction in the history of the game -- integrating the Four Skills of putting (reading, aiming, stroking for line, and stroking for delivery pace) by combining all putting lore in history with modern science for physics, anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, motor sports teaching and learning and performance, and especially the NEW brain science of the non-conscious processes of perception and movement action in putting skill.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Back to PuttingZone