Back to PuttingZone

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  

Eye testing procedure

October 8 2016 at 1:58 PM
Marcos  (Login marcoossobron)
from IP address 47.61.38.153

Dear Geoff
My daughter Is missing many birdie opportunities from 10-15 feet distances in every round. I believe she has sight issues because her technique and touch are well and I am afraid that visualization is the key. She is right eye dominant and uses only that eye for reading the line but as
she plays with astigmatism contact lenses I am afraid that she is not perceiving well the line.
Wich would be your procedure suggestions?
Thanks very much Geoff.

This message has been edited by marcoossobron from IP address 47.61.38.153 on Oct 8, 2016 2:04 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Geoff Mangum
(Login aceputt)
Owner

Vision in Putting

December 15 2016, 7:28 PM 

Dear Marcos,

I don't think she uses "only her dominant eye to read the line of the putt." Reading a putt is assessing the surface shape and green speed, and eye doninance is for aiing at a target intending to move towards it or at least fix its location in relation to your head and eyes.

Eye dominance only activates "situationally" and is not constantly "on." It really activates only to a soecific object or location, not to a region.

"Aiming" from behind the ball to "see the LINE" from ball to target near hole activates the dominant eye. But ince the putter face is poonted behind the back of the ball, eye dominance isn't what matters.

Once the putter face is POINTED, then the golfer standing at address beside the ball is no linger "aiming" but now is trying to verify ir determine exactly where the POINTED putter points -- at the intended target or left ir right?

For this, two problems complicate the process: 1) not knowing whatyou are trying to accomplish or how that is done correctly with the head and eyes; and 2) the astigmatism.

I can send you a big article describing all this if you email me at geoff.mangum@gmail.com.

The astigmatism might be "curling" visuual reality, and that's an issue for an opthalmologist.

You can get a lot iof improvement using a line on the ball, aiming that at the target, matching the putter face to the aimed line, and forget checking or verifying and just commit to putt that exact line with usual pace.

If the astigmatism is biasing the "down the line" aiming, you need to find out about that by some DIY testing. Get a small laser, have her aim a 10-15 foot putt at a target on the base of a wall, then place the laser onthr putter face to see what sortt of accuracy is in place. Then repeat this using a line on the ball to see if that is better. If problems remain, it could be an issue for the eye doctor. If THAT doesn't help, adapt to the unavoidable bias and see if living with the issue results in improvement (e.g., "play your hook").

Cheers!

Geoff Mangum

This message has been edited by aceputt from IP address 71.54.54.234 on Dec 15, 2016 7:31 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Main  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Back to PuttingZone