Postings about donating, selling or re-selling any drugs are not allowed on this board. Thank you for your cooperation. Anyone who posts about donating, buying or selling drugs will be banned from this board. If you need to contact the board monitor send an email message to: Over 40 High FSH Board Monitor

Return to Index  

approach CR with caution - from an ex-practicer

September 1 2011 at 11:53 PM
No score for this post
  (Login miraclex2)

Fertility is a very different matter from living long. In fact, having a baby inside you drains you away, because human fetus is the best parasite there is (in my obgyn's words). If you don't eat enough, the odds are, your baby will eat enough, just that you will get whatever is left over. Therefore, it is my intuition that our body must feel completely comfortable that it is getting all the nutrients it wants before kicking in high gear for a baby. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen OBESE (not someone with vanity pounds), just outright obese women graduating from IVF clinic, and skinnier women have to go back over and over again (including myself).

My DH (then BF) and I did CR about 10 years ago and got to know quite a few people who did the same. The biggest drawback is, you are constantly depressed and shivering even in summer. Typical CR calls for 30% reduction of normal calorie, so you feel hunger all the time. A constantly hungry person cannot be a happy person. The rationale behind CR is, you put your body in a slow mode, so your cells divide slower (because they lack fuel), your metabolism is slower, and you age slower, which makes perfect sense. It actually works if living long is what you want. So in a way, I believe that all your organs will age slower too, but here is the trick, how do you convince your deprived body that you are competent to carry a child?? And, when I meet these CR practitioners, I can tell that their brains move slower too.

We both quit CR after a year and half, because frankly life was not worth living if you had to be constantly deprived. CR can only slow down aging, it doesn't revive you. So let's say you already have a diminishing ovarian reserve, CR is not going to restore it, it is just going to make your oocyte supply diminish slower, in theory, which to me, is not a big help.

However, there is some merit to getting the right calories, because not all calories are equal. Do not cut any calories unless you are overweight, but being slightly overweight is actually fertile. Cut out all the bad empty calories such as sucrose from processed sugar, and concentrate on the good calories like protein, or fructose from eating fruit, and essential fatty acids that our body needs but cannot manufacture by itself.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. what on earth is CR??? - Anon on Sep 2, 12:11 AM
    1. calorie restriction - MIR on Sep 2, 12:16 AM

2. Confirmed my thought that you don't live longer, it just seems like it :-) - kfx216 on Sep 2, 9:31 AM
  4. This has always been my feeling.... - Tracy on Sep 2, 1:37 PM
  6. Yep...totally agree - Al on Sep 2, 11:02 PM
  8. not true for everyone - K on Sep 3, 9:27 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement