Postings about donating, selling or re-selling any drugs are not allowed on this board. Thank you for your cooperation. Anyone who posts about donating, buying or selling drugs will be banned from this board. If you need to contact the board monitor send an email message to: Over 40 High FSH Board Monitor

Return to Index  

Reasons why I am pro low-stim

September 15 2011 at 2:32 PM
No score for this post
  (Login miraclex2)

As most of your may already know, I am in the mourning the loss of my uterus phase. But I want to share my lesson with you, so that you can learn from my mistake and make a better decision.

High stim is very effective for good responders, which most of us 40+ are not. I had 4 back to back medium-to-high stim IVFs at the beginning of the year, 2 of them stacked month after month, with the rest a natural cycle in between. I researched the impact myself before going in, there is really no conclusion. My RE at Stanford advocated it citing no proof on negative effect, but when I talked to other REs, the general consensus is at least 8 weeks between high stim if not even longer.

At first I thought it was because the ovaries may be overloaded. Until I talked to my oncologist who treats my precancerous uterine condition which surfaced after the intensive IVF regimen. He told me that the E2 generated prior to retrieval is essentially unopposed estrogen dominance, and such amount of estrogen is above and beyond what our body is designed to deal with normally. Excess estrogen is what causes many cancers of the reproductive system including uterus, ovary, cervix and breast, which is why he had encountered pregnant cancer patient who underwent many rounds of IVF. Of course, everyone's estrogen receptors are a bit different, mine are more sensitive, so a bit more boost of estrogen throughout 4 cycles can bring on precancerous changes. The medical establishment will never tell you that there is a link between IVF protocols and cancer, because IVF has become such a gigantic business that they will have enough "research funds" and lobbyists to "prove" otherwise.

Which is why I am more determined to go the mini-IVF route, one or two eggs at a time, much less estrogen in follicular phase, and the combined cost of 3 cycles which yield me just as many eggs as in one cycle is even lower than one full cycle. Most importantly, it is better for my body.

I believe that if Alexis with all the money her mom can spare for her, chooses not to blast her ovaries every few months but to go for natural or low-stim every month, must have a better medical advice than me, since money is not an issue for her.

Therefore, I would caution those who are poor responders like me to be very careful about high stim, and go for regular checkup and biopsy. Just keep in mind that IVF entails health risk and you must monitor very carefully.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Well... I would agree..except.. - BabyDance on Sep 15, 3:00 PM
    1. Darn Iphone autotext. "Stims" not stuns! nt. - BD on Sep 15, 5:23 PM

2. what do you think of bioidenticals - anne on Sep 15, 4:47 PM
    1. I don't know. And the problem is, nobody knows about the - MIR on Sep 15, 8:04 PM

3. makes sense, but shouldn't apply to poor responders - Jamie on Sep 15, 4:56 PM
    1. It is not that linear, I produced way more estrogen - MIR on Sep 15, 5:33 PM
      1. wow! - Jamie on Sep 16, 2:32 PM

4. Doesn't Ganirelix bring Estrogen down? Also what about a high responder? - Emilie on Sep 15, 6:58 PM
    1. This is what I was told by the oncologist - MIR on Sep 15, 7:27 PM
      1. Thanks MIR! what number do you think is a 'high responder?' - Emilie on Sep 15, 9:19 PM
        1. the average AFC for our age (40-42) should be 5-8 - MIR on Sep 15, 9:59 PM
          1. That's really interesting - di_nyc on Sep 16, 1:04 AM
            1. lots of clinics set the limit to 600 - MIR on Sep 16, 1:59 AM
              1. Re: lots of clinics set the limit to 600 - di_nyc on Sep 16, 11:55 AM
          2. 300-450iu - Emilie on Sep 16, 8:37 AM
            1. Just based on what the clinics told me - MIR on Sep 16, 10:54 AM
              1. limit at 6? - Emilie on Sep 16, 11:47 AM

5. similar estrogen levels for me, high stim or low stim - jkl on Sep 16, 12:53 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement