Postings about donating, selling or re-selling any drugs are not allowed on this board. Thank you for your cooperation. Anyone who posts about donating, buying or selling drugs will be banned from this board. If you need to contact the board monitor send an email message to: Over 40 High FSH Board Monitor

Return to Index  

MIR & others - need advice re: embryo banking & CGH results (BFN mentioned)

May 7 2012 at 2:53 PM
No score for this post
TenaciousB  (no login)

I'm trying to increase the odds of a take home baby via embryo banking and CGH genetic testing w/Dr. T. The road has been long and it's not over yet. Currently clouding my judgement is my prior BFN with 2 CGH normals last Fall (crushing). Subsequently, Dr. T ordered a Yale EFT biopsy which showed I have a lining issue (glandular developmental arrest) and must go on 3 months of depot Lupron to treat/fix it before FET.

Drum roll...after my latest 3 embryo banking cycles (Winter/Spring 2012) I have my CGH results:

1 CGH genetically normal embryo (yay!!!)
1 inconclusive embryo (well, perhaps it's o.k.?)

First of all, of course I'm THRILLED and relieved that I have 1 normal ("it only takes one," ...etc.). --- uh, well, maybe it really takes more than one in my case.

Re: my inconclusive embryo. I've read that the inconclusive CGH diagnosis happens when lab doesn't have complete genetic info from the biopsy to be able to say for sure that it is normal. However, it's often the case they have partial genetic info that looks fine. (so that blast is a big "?" I will probably transfer it, since there are many stories to be found of healthy babies coming from inconclusives).

I feel like a shrew for complaining, but statistically speaking, I was sooo hoping for a couple more CGH normals. I had 20 mature eggs retrieved over the course of these last 3 cycles, 16 of which were biopsied at day 3. My original theory was that I could anticipate 1-2 normals out of each 10 mature eggs retrieved at my age. But in my heart of hearts, I was really hoping for 3 normals, so I'd have two shots at FET (2 blasts for the 1st FET and a 3rd to try again if the 1st doesn't work).

I based my hope for 3 CGH normals on having had 2 normals out of 15 mature eggs retrieved on my previous round of 3 cycles (Summer/Fall 2011). But of course I'm almost a year older now.

Let's pause for a brief moment of freak out: I just turned 44 a few weeks ago (aaaah!). I have to take 3 months of depot lupron before FET (aaah!). I'll be 44.5 by the time we do a transfer and if it doesn't work, my age related egg quality will be further diminished at that point. Ladies, I feel like I'm at the edge of cliff.

So the question is, if money were not an issue, would you recommend banking one (or two) more CGH normals now, or should I just move forward with what I have (40% chance of pregnancy per CGH normal embie)? I really hate to gamble. But, as much as I try to stack the odds in my favor, there will never really be a guarantee. I could just as easily collect more CGH normals and STILL not get preggers in the end. My DH is convinced that my lining issue was the main reason for our latest BFN and we'll get a good result this time. Lord, I hope he's right.

Any strategizing, encouragement or words of wisdom would be most welcome.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses