Postings about donating, selling or re-selling any drugs are not allowed on this board. Thank you for your cooperation. Anyone who posts about donating, buying or selling drugs will be banned from this board. If you need to contact the board monitor send an email message to: Over 40 High FSH Board Monitor

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to square one (success, or lack thereof ment)

March 23 2012 at 12:41 PM
No score for this post
SillyPuppy  (no login)

So, after having spent some time getting an opposing opinion of how to handle the aging ovaries of ME and what might be the best protocol for success, I have now come to the conclusion that I have JUST ABOUT as much success TTC on my own as I would using ANY medical intervention AND I won't be putting my body through untold challenges due to medications AND I won't be potentially spending upwards of 20K per shot trying to have a 1% chance of success.

Who knew that being 45 was going to be such a sucky year?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kim
(no login)

So sorry you are feeling this way!!!!

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 2:27 PM 

Feeling the same way if it make you feel any better! We are hoping to do one more round of IVF but with ZIFT - which is slightly more expense than regular IVF. I feel like the $'s would be better spent on other things we need at this point! I'm 43 but headed to 44 in a few months so wondering about making this last effort. If I just did not have high FSH I'd feel better.

I have a friend on another board that used the same doctor I am and tried ZIFT at age 45 and had success on the first try. She had NO issues with high FSH and responded well (10 eggs) to moderate stims (starting at 300 step up to 450). The RE put back 8 embies into her fallopian tubes. Anyway she must be in her second trimester by now - and passed the CVS test on her little boy a month ago. Any way wanted to share some hope and success at 45 with you!

SillyPuppy
(no login)

Re: So sorry you are feeling this way!!!!

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 2:51 PM 

Yes I have just had a phone call with SIRM and while they don't say I won't have a shot, my takeaway from the analysis is that even with that shot I will be looking at spending a lot of money for very little chance of pregnancy at this point. The odds that they give ALONG with the odd of medicated TI or IUI seem to offer about as much success as my trying to conceive naturally given my only factors for failure right now is the diagnosis of DOR due to age. I guess some people are ready to jump on those odds but I am not feeling like I can afford the risk NOR do I want to spend the time traveling back and forth. I am not opposed to medicated cycles of IUI or TTC but would like to find someone who is flexible on protocol as I am not sure my RE is currently.

Ugh.

I might feel MORE inclined to be aggressive if I were 41 but at 45 it is like I have reached the magical cut off point for all success.

SillyPuppy
(no login)

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 2:56 PM 

What WAS your friend's FSH by the way? AMH?

SillyPuppy
(no login)

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 3:07 PM 

We talked about ZIFT just so you know. And we also talked about EZ-STIM. My consult was WONDERFUL do NOT misconstrue my reality check with dissatisfaction. I found it to be quite informative and helpful and I learned a heck of a lot.

I was thrilled the doctor was so very kind and frankly humble in sharing knowledge.

Kim
(no login)

Not sure

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 3:50 PM 

Not sure if she would even know what her FSH is or AMH. I asked her if our doctor did ICSI and she said not sure....so doubt she knows what FSH or AMH is-lol!!!

I laugh and wish I could be like these women who know nothing about fertility treatments and get lucky!

I think her AMH is lower and FSH normal because she tried IVF at 44 (a year earlier) her true first time and had 10 embies but none viable for transfer b/c she tried to do genentic testing. So, our doctor recommended she try ZIFT - and it worked on her first try.

SillyPuppy
(no login)

Re: Not sure

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 4:18 PM 

My FSH is 10.5 to 13 and my AMH is .55. My estradiol is kind of low: 21 and 12 but I had 8 AFC on a count recently.

I just do NOT think I can swing a ZIFT out of state and incur that much cost only to find that I not only feel like CRAP but I am NOT pregnant and 20K in debt. I think it helped that the doctor told me my odds were not great even with ZIFT.

UGH.

ChickenLittle
(no login)

I'm in the same boat TTC naturally...

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 4:31 PM 

I hope you can find comfort in the fact that you'll be saving yourself a lot of stress and $$$ by TTC naturally! It seems that the vast majority of women I know who get PG at 42+ do so TTC naturally, while ART procedures yield others no luck. It may be that the actual mechanism/integrity of the eggs of older women don't fare so well with all the stims and jostling around that they get with ART...You've got the same odds either way, so why not get down with your bad self naturally--starting by getting an ovulation/fertility monitor (if you don't already have one) and some good supplements?

I decided to let go of IVF after an unsuccessful cycle last year at 42 years 10 months. Once I really examined the stats, the 5% success that women over 43 have, at the top clinics, is matched by Mother Nature, so why throw away $$$ I don't have on such long odds? TTC naturally isn't stress-free, but at least the price is right. wink.gif

Do I wish there was more I could try? Sure. But I have to be realistic and follow both my gut and my rational mind, rather than that keening, yearning, "OMG, I'll do anything as long as I have a shot!" part of my heart that wants a child so badly, it pushes me toward any glimmer of ART hope, however slight.

But enough about me! Regardless of what you decide. good luck to you.

May you find success! xo Chix

SillyPuppy
(no login)

Re: I'm in the same boat TTC naturally...

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 5:32 PM 

I like that I am not alone in this mentality. Tell me more about your journey if you feel comfortable sharing?

MIR
(Login miraclex2)

8:1 yield tells me that chromosome abnormalty is a HUGE problem

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 5:39 PM 

She is incredibly lucky of course. But getting one to work with 8 embryos? That is very sobering for the kind of chromosome abnormalty we are dealing with at 40+. It also sounds like her ovaries are much younger than her cohort. Her ovaries are barely 40.

Kim
(no login)

Agreed, but there was another woman at 43 with only 3 put back

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 9:45 PM 

I read this other woman a year ago posted on another site that she had luck with ZIFT with only 3 fertilized eggs put back with ZIFT at age 43 and had a take home baby.

Deep down I truly feel that the top few (2-5) follicles probably hold a good egg - just a feeling and nothing scientific holding that one up:)

Kim
(no login)

Last thing - I really like the idea of banking too

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 10:28 PM 

Banking a 1 to a few embies really is such a great idea! Wish I had the stamina to carry on to try banking with vitrifying embryos but think my husband and I are getting to the end of the process - but I must say he has been quite a good sport at "giving" in so many places! If it were a year ago and not have gone through as much as we have, I'd say let's give it a go.

SillyPuppy
(no login)

Kim

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 10:33 PM 

I don't know your story but just want to offer HUGS to you as your post sounded as if you are so exhausted from a process that I have only just begun to research.

My hat is SO COMPLETELY TIPPED to the women who have struggled with fertility in their desires to have a family. I think if anything my below rant was a generalized SHOUT TO THE UNIVERSE that there should be heightened awareness of both reproductive health and viability of having a child in later years so that women have the ability to make informed choices while living their lives.

Kim
(no login)

It's fine - we are so incredibly lucky to have a wonderful child of our own

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 10:50 PM 

SillyPuppy
(no login)

that is how I feel too

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 11:10 PM 

but I surely wish I had thought more about #2 earlier in the game. Sigh.....

anne
(no login)

your numbers are pretty good for your age

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 4:39 PM 

most of us at your age have crap numbers. perhaps you could supplement with a bit of estrogen?

SillyPuppy
(no login)

Re: your numbers are pretty good for your age

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 5:24 PM 

I KNOW I asked my RE about that and she didn't seem to think much of it but she doesn't like my insight or questioning her knowledge much either. The person I talked to at SIRM today was SOOOO nice in telling me that she thought we should be able to ask our REs ANYTHING and they not be bothered and that they should be willing to try other protocols.

I AM eating food supplements that increase estrogen: Maca, Wild Yam and also eating a little more soy in the form of tofu but nothing crazy just to see what happens but wasn't sure if I could get a prescription and find a way to get some MORE into my body.

I do have another RE that I talked to locally that is a bit more flexible so if THIS RE won't budge I think he will.

I am in agreement that I might as well just TTC naturally because my odds are NOT that great with ART and I don't really have 20K X 3 to blow on trying. I COULD try some IUI with meds or TI with meds but then the question becomes WHICH protocol is worth doing AND am I messing up my old body by doing it.

Anonymous
(no login)

DE and success ment.

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 5:28 PM 

When and if your ready there are some low cost DE options. So sorry ,but yes 45 is going to be a challenge..

SillyPuppy
(no login)

I know (DE and child ment)

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 5:31 PM 

I know. Trust me. The very minute I walk into the door of an RE the FiRST thing out of their mouths is DONOR EGG.

I am just not at that point that I am feeling that yet. I am also considering adoption very strongly AND I have a biological child so perhaps my urgency is not as intense as it might be for others? I don't know yet. I swear I go up and down all day long every day with all of this stuff. It is a roller coaster ride.

Lauranz
(Login phoebegrace)

I too had a genetic child and thought adoption was my next best step

No score for this post
March 25 2012, 4:03 PM 

And that DE was not an idea I wanted to entertain. Then after a loony drawn out adoption disaster where teen bithmum changed her mind... We couldn't risk more heartache and time following that route. We eventually got to DE after we were offered embies that I would have run with but my DH then did an about face and said yes to DE. I'm nursing her now.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement