Got It!

by Tom S.

I ordered the death certificate and they provided a tif file for me to download to my PC after I paid electronically.

It's the right record. I've been searching for information regarding what happened to my grandfather's sister for seven years. She died at age 24 in Chicago as the result of an infection related to a possible miscarriage.

Her husband, Jonas Baltramonaits, returned to Lithuania after WW I ended with their two children, Maria (born in Lithuania) and Kazys (born in Chicago).

The family's bad luck continued with Kazys Baltramonaitis. Kazys made it out of Lithunia in 1944 ahead of the advancing Russian army. He was in a U.S. DP camp in Wiesbaden, Germany on 2 July 1945 per the documents I found at the International Tracing Service (ITS) in Germany. He requested that he not be sent back to Bolshevik-controlled Lithuania. The card listed Chicago, Illinois as his birthplace.

It looks like U.S. authorities did not believe him because his DP card was annotated with the entry saying he was returned to the U.S.S.R. on 17 August 1945. He spent the rest of his life behind the Iron Curtain in Russian-controlled Lithuania.

Now I have to try and find her grave at St. Casimier's Cemetery.

Tom S.

Posted on Jul 14, 2008, 12:47 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Thanks for the update. , Jul 15, 2008
    1. Even Less Time. Tom S., Jul 15, 2008

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement