"Kiatitai" location

by Star Lakavage

I found a website called www.lithuanianmaps.com run by Mr Andrew Kapochunas. The site contains digital copies of older maps of Lithuania. I had no idea where to start searching for "Kiatitai" so emailed Mr Kapochunas and received a rather speedy response. He also added in his email that the spellings are very unreliable-something I already assumed. He did send this note:

"The closest approximation, I believe, is "Getautai," in northern Lithuania. It is too small to appear on antique maps of Lithuania, but not too small to appear on the topographical maps on my site."

This might be a good approximation, considering that many times in my searching, the K in our last name was changed to a G, a similar guttural sound. Not sure how it might work into my grandfather's route to the US since he lived in Sudargas and left from Hamburg, Germany.

But if you're looking for older maps and have an idea of where the area is that you are searching for, you might investigate Mr. Kapochunas's website (www.lithuanianmaps.com). He includes a short bio of how he arrived in the US, also interesting.

In my original posting on Kiatitai, I mentioned finding several towns ending in 'tai' east of Sudargas. My error! I found several towns ending in 'tai' WEST of Sudargas. Just call me directionally challenged-even tho I did spend a long career in a geography based field!

Hope some of this info, especially Mr. Kapochunas's website is helpful to others if not entertaining!

The search continues!
Star

Posted on Jul 24, 2017, 6:45 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement