Email Donna if something gets out of hand   Rules for the Foo Forum   Back to GA Forum II  

Return to Index  

A simple analogy

March 23 2010 at 9:08 AM
Anonymous 

I heard one of the talking heads on TV this morning supporting the health care bill under the idea that the majority of people supported the majority of the proposals in the bill. Quite possibly true, quite likely misleading or irrelevent.

Let's say that I am your boss and you are my employee, and let's say you make a salary of $80,000 per annum. I come to you with the following proposal:

-I will cut your work week from 40 hours to 36 hours

-I will give you an additional vacation week each year

-I will give you a company car

-I am adding a day care reimbursement to our benefits plan

- To offset the additional costs to the company of these benefits, your pay will be reduced by 35%, from $80,000 to $52,000

If I were to ask you your feelings on the individual parts of the proposal, just about any person would be favorable to the first four items, or say 80% of the individual proposals. It's very doubtful if anyone would support the plan though, given that it would be difficult to justify a pay cut of $28,000 as an exchange for the benefits received.

You would like 80% of the proposals, you would vote "no" on the overall plan.

Not that complicated.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Obviously it is that complcated because 219 congressmen fell for it - Anonymous on Mar 23, 4:14 PM
    1. No Reps voted for it. - Anonymous on Mar 23, 4:22 PM
      1. Of the 34 Dems who voted against the Bill... - Anonymous on Mar 23, 5:37 PM
        1. Pelosi calls that leadership - Anonymous on Mar 24, 9:06 AM
          1. I'd call it a dictatorship, seems that is the way we are heading with o as our leader - Anonymous on Mar 24, 9:26 AM

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
free hit counter
Page Views in 2009