Email Donna if something gets out of hand   Rules for the Foo Forum   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Republicans and Health Insurance Reform

March 22 2010 at 1:14 PM
Anonymous 

A question for my conservative friends. For six year, the republican party controlled the White House and Congress. During this time you didn't even try to reform health care. Why? You are so angry now and full of lots of so called solutions that you claim were never considered. Please tell me then, why in SIX YEARS, you couldn't come up with a plan.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

other things had priority

March 22 2010, 1:21 PM 

it was not an 'agenda' item

why, with the economy in the toilet, was it so high on the Democrat list?

don't tell me it was to cover 30 million more people because that DOES NOT HAPPEN for 4 years, although the taxes start this year

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: other things had priority

March 22 2010, 2:38 PM 

Of course it wasn't an agenda item. Why would you care that people have a chance at affordable health insurance. I know you believe that a kid born in Harlem to a single mom has the same opportunity that a kid born in Boca Raton, FL to two a family of doctors has. Just the luck of the draw.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

that kid in Harlem likely qualifies for SCHIPS

March 22 2010, 2:49 PM 

and Mom for Medicaid

please don't drag out that tired myth about poor children dying for lack of affordable health insurance.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

The OP started with a fair question.

March 22 2010, 2:55 PM 

But then you lapse into the greedy, evil Republican caricature. It's very difficult to sustain a discussion with you.

In your simplistic example, the kid born in Harlem could be covered by his Mom's health insurance or, if she has none, he could be eligible for SCHIP or Medicaid. Moreover, why is he the product of a single parent household? Did the Mom choose to have a baby out of wedlock? Did she have the baby knowing that it would be a struggle to support him financially? What responsibility does the kid's parents have for raising and taking care of him? Where's the personal accountability? Now, if he really is the result of an unfortunate set of circumstances, there are protections built into the system. But the majority of single family household aren't the result of bad luck. A conscious set of decisions led to the situation.

Let's also look at the kid born in Boca Raton. His family was probably successful due to hard work, not for ill-gotten gains. And our tax code is already extremely progressive. Why should they be penalized for success? You libs want not just equal opportunity but equal results. In doing so, you get it bass ackwards -- rewarding failure and penalizing success.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Why should the family from Boca pay for the bad decisions the woman from NY made?

March 22 2010, 3:01 PM 

There are haves and have nots in this society. We are not a communist country (yet). The family from Boca is already taxed at close to 50% to take care existing entitlement programs. If the kid from NY got hit by a car crossing the street, he would be taken to a hospital, and treated at no cost. (Thanks in part, to the family from Boca, and those like them) If the kid from NY wants the same life style as the kid from Boca, then he should make the right decisions. Graduate from school, get a college education, and secure a job. I'm sick of you bleeding hearts. The world is not fair!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Why should the family from Boca pay for the bad decisions the woman from NY made?

March 22 2010, 3:07 PM 

I believe that a country as rich and as great as ours should be able to help its own. You believe that everyone is given a fair chance. Fair enough. We disagree.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

But we do help our own.

March 22 2010, 3:17 PM 

Exhibit A - Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, SCHIP, Head Start

Exhibit B - We're one of the most charitable nations in the world. Look at our efforts in Haiti. Did any other country help nearly as much as the USA? Likewise, look at what we've done to help sub-Saharan Africa.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Why should the family from Boca pay for the bad decisions the woman from NY made?

March 22 2010, 3:46 PM 

We help our own more than any country in the world does. Our poorest residents would be middle class in more than half the world. Between charities and government assistance you can help for pretty much anything you need, if you are in need.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 22 2010, 4:25 PM 

"I believe that a country as rich and as great as ours should be able to help its own."

The problem is idealistic people who believe that, but also believe it's someone else's (call them the pragmatic people) problem to figure out how to pay for things. There are no free lunches, someone has to pay for all these things. And there is a limit to what permanent imbedded costs the government can sustain. We are not talking Hurricane Katrina Relief or the Iraq War here, we are talking about an entitlement program that realistically will never end.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

how does this bill help that kid in Harlem?

March 22 2010, 5:05 PM 

"affordable" insurance? ha ha ha

that's one of the LEAST likely outcomes...

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Republicans and Health Insurance Reform

March 22 2010, 1:21 PM 

Because the Republican party lost its way. It got fat and happy, self-absorbed with power.

The same thing has happened with the Dems in a short period of time. They over-reached, resorted to accounting gimmicks, bribery and assorted tricks to pass a bad bill. They'll be punished for it in November.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely." We need term limits. Desperately.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 22 2010, 2:41 PM 

Does that have any relevence with what's going on today? Or is that a less than subtle change of subject?

Even if you think the Republicans totally screwed up the world, that is not a justification for them sitting by idly while the current crew in charge sets the country up for financial ruin. That's not why we elect leaders.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 22 2010, 3:22 PM 

What I find interesting, is that the GOP is up in arms over an issue that provides a better quality of life for all citizens. The question of cost should have come up when former Pres. Bush bought a war in two Countries, that cost billions each month, but I don't recall hearing the outcry about future generations being strapped with paying for a made up search for Weapons of Mass Distraction. No bid contracts to rebuild infrastructure. The GOP really cares about us. Ya right !!!! Sorry, I mentioned Bush. I know we can't do that.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

The bill doesn't "provide a better quality of life for all citizens".

March 22 2010, 3:26 PM 

In fact, Obamacare does just the opposite. The massive deficits and debts to finance it and all of our other entitlement programs, along with higher taxes to pay for it, will lower the quality of life for all citizens.

And, if you don't think Bush was criticized for spending too much, then you weren't listening.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 22 2010, 3:52 PM 

"that provides a better quality of life for all citizens"

If that were true, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It arguably makes the health care situation worse for roughly 85% of Americans in order to make it better for 10% of Americans. That has been the problem with COMPREHENSIVE reform since day one.

Respond to this message   
anonymous

March 22 2010, 4:24 PM 

I agree, nobody brings 2 useless wars costing billions. Stop the bloody wars to pay for the healthcare. Where are the priorities here? Continue to spend billions on wars or take care of american citizens. I don't care if Reps get upset because Dems bring Bush up, the warmonger was a bad president! Americans are paying dearly for his ugly policies and will continue to pay for a long time.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

here we go again

March 22 2010, 4:29 PM 

'Americans are paying dearly for his ugly policies and will continue to pay for a long time. '

1) what policies

2) how will we pay for a long time

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 22 2010, 4:31 PM 

"I agree, nobody brings 2 useless wars costing billions."

Let me guess, you were in the less than 1% of Americans that were opposed to the Afghanistan War in 2002? Or is this another case of revising history?

I will grant you that the Iraq War was controversial, but there was not one iota of controversy about attacking Afganistan when they refused to give up Bin Laden. The country was more united in that decision than it was in deciding to go to Europe in either WW1 or WW2, or to Korea in the 1950s.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

interesting, but not surprising, to me that you think more government spending

March 22 2010, 4:39 PM 

is the answer to healthcare issues

government intervention is the reason for most of the undesireable outcomes in the health services marketplace: the idiotic, wasteful regulations; the CYA approach to testing, diagnosis and treatment; the perverse incentives that cause states to spend more than they have so that they can get even more of the money the federal government doesn't have; the barriers to cross-state marketing; the coverage mandates that inflate costs

and government spending almost always has adverse consequences that are worse than the problem that was meant to be addressed

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
free hit counter
Page Views in 2009