Email Donna if something gets out of hand   Rules for the Foo Forum   Back to GA Forum II  

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

oh yeah, the (miss) universe contest

April 3 2012 at 11:19 AM
Anonymous 

Sex change might not bar wannabe beauty queen
The Associated Press

The Miss Universe Organization announced Monday that it might reverse an earlier decision and allow a transgender woman to enter the Miss Universe Canada pageant.

Jenna Talackova, 23, was born male, leading organizers to disqualify her last month as a finalist in the 61st Miss Universe Canada pageant in May.

The rules of the contest run by Donald Trump's New York City-based organization say entrants must be "naturally born" females. The Vancouver woman underwent a sex change four years ago.

But shortly after Talackova announced a news conference in Los Angeles with high-profile lawyer Gloria Allred for Tuesday, the New York-based Miss Universe Organization said in a statement on the Miss Universe Canada website that Talackova can compete "provided she meets the legal gender recognition requirements of Canada, and the standards established by other international competitions."

The statement did not elaborate and messages seeking clarification from Miss Universe organizers were not immediately returned.

Vancouver constitutional lawyer Joe Arvay, who is on Talackova's legal team, told The Associated Press that Miss Universe Canada's latest statement about Canadian legal gender recognition requirements is "incomprehensible."

"I have no idea what they're talking about," he said.

Arvay said the pageant requirement for "natural born" females does not comply with Canadian human rights legislation and that a complaint will be filed with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

"In the absence of clarity, we will be proceeding," Arvay said. "At the present time, it's gobbledygook."

Allred's office said its news conference is still proceeding as planned.

The disqualification won Talackova widespread sympathy and raised the question of whether the pageant has the right to decide who is female.

Her change of gender was hardly a secret before the event because she had competed in the 2010 Tiffany Miss International Queen Competition for transgendered and transsexual women in Pattaya, Thailand. In a video interview for that pageant, she said she had lived her life as a female since age 4, began hormone therapy at 14 and changed sex at 19.

"I regard myself as a woman with a history," she said.

Connie McNaughton, Miss World Canada in 1984 and first runner-up for the world crown, had called the decision outdated and discriminatory. Professor Patrizia Gentile of Ottawa's Carleton University, who did a dissertation on beauty pageants, equated the ban with the exclusion of blacks and Jews from pageants in earlier times.

From the conservative side of Canadian society, Gwen Landolt, national vice president of REAL Women of Canada, said the pageant was simply being realistic in barring Talackova.

___

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous

Just wait 'til

April 3 2012, 11:37 AM 

they start transforming monkeys and dogs to humanoids. What will they be called and who is to say that other primates or even the female canine would not be eligible? Isn't modern medical science such a jewel. Joy to the world....all the former boys become girls now.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Just wait 'til

April 3 2012, 11:45 AM 

One big Liberal wet dream!!!

Everything that was wrong is now right and everything that was right is now wrong.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

we have gone down the rabbit hole Alice

April 3 2012, 11:46 AM 

and there is no turning back.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Why do Republicans need to paint everyone with one broad stroke?

April 3 2012, 12:13 PM 

Democrats and Liberals are not the same, the term is not interchangable.

PS I'm a Democrat and I agree with the Miss Universe ruling...so what do you have to say now?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Why do Republicans need to paint everyone with one broad stroke?

April 3 2012, 12:25 PM 

"Democrats and Liberals are not the same, the term is not interchangable."

"PS I'm a Democrat and I agree with the Miss Universe ruling...so what do you have to say now?"

Democrat = Liberal. No difference. If there is a difference name one.

You agree it should over ruled or you agree with HIM being barred from the pagent? Which one?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

To answer your question

April 3 2012, 1:11 PM 

one there is a difference between Democrats and Liberals and two I do believe the person should be barred from the competition.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: To answer your question

April 3 2012, 1:12 PM 

What is the difference between Liberals and Democrats. Name just one.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

As usual, you answered only part of the question...

April 4 2012, 5:57 AM 

You said there is a difference between Democrats and Liberals. What is the difference?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

nothing, you said it ALL

April 3 2012, 1:38 PM 

PS I'm a Democrat and I agree with the Miss Universe ruling...so what do you have to say now?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

agree meaning i agree with barring the transgender contestant

April 3 2012, 7:08 PM 

sorry to disappoint you...some Democrats actually believe in rules too

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: agree meaning i agree with barring the transgender contestant

April 3 2012, 8:22 PM 

Maybe you should change. Parties.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

But therein lies the problem

April 3 2012, 8:39 PM 

Just because you align with one party or the other doesn't mean you have to agree with everything, most people aren't wired that way. I don't just vote down the party line on everything, I actually take the time to ponder how each item would impact me personally, not just mindless voting because someone told me to.

Not towards anyone in particular but if many people would think for themselves and not believe what all the talking heads on both sides told them to believe the country would be a better place.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

ahhh, the problem

April 3 2012, 8:57 PM 

or as my professor likes to call it - the opportunity.

my problem with the democrat party is they want to stand for everything. And many of those special interests are in opposition with each other. Life has limits. I'd like it if both parties only focused on what the limited role of government should be, which aligns me with conservative or libertarian candidates.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

What you propose

April 3 2012, 9:02 PM 

sounds great except for just thinking about the effects on you only. It is time for the 'Me generation' to think beyond what is in it for them, but consider others and future generations. Short term thinking and selfish goals got this country in trouble over the past generation (15-20 years). We are easily tempted to trust our own ideas or impressions based on what feels good at the time. The devil is in the details and turns the wheels when you give up control to others so readily.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Not really

April 3 2012, 9:08 PM 

I do think of others, even in my daily life I put others ahead of myself, sometimes to my detriment. Every law infringes on someone's beliefs regardless of party affiliation. The reality is that special interests, corporations and big business own most of this country anyway, they will back the candidate that will benefit them and contribute to their campaign fund, while ordinary people don't really matter.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Do you realize how ignorant you sound when you post stuff like that.

April 3 2012, 3:01 PM 

You hold ignorance up to be some kind of virtue. How sad.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Okay

April 3 2012, 4:11 PM 

smart A, show and tell us what you know about animal research, altering genes and DNA structures, surgically enhancing, removing, or adding body parts to suit the requests of their subjects and the many bizarre practices our medical system has morphed into in the name of progress. Who is paying for this with what money? Follow your tax dollars to the research institutions and other forms of payment that we are all stuck with in the name of good care. Ask anyone with half a brain (ask kids and average Americans) how this makes sen$e and what we should do about it. Simple. Put an end to ridiculous and expensive procedures that have no merit, public benefit, or cost effective studies. Common sense for everybody. Frankenstein was a sad story.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Can you say

April 3 2012, 4:17 PM 

freak show? It has gone too far, and you know it.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - oh yeah, the (miss) universe contest
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
free hit counter
Page Views in 2009