Fuller Park & The Urban Legends of Athens, Texas

Return to Index  

Another Off The Wall Story

November 19 2006 at 9:43 PM
  (Login Hawk_The_Slayer)
Forum Owner

Fuller Park originally featured an old petting zoo owned and run by Mr. and Mrs. Fuller, Mr. Fuller being at that time, a Southern Baptist Minister and Philanthropist.

He also practiced as a family physician and veterinarian, from what I know of what has been told of him by older people, in the area.

Thus, there existed the old monkey cages, old-timey wrought-iron-girdered fences, etc., which, of course, attracts young people to it.

One of the reasons that people (in the distant past) have made this place an Icon of Athens legend over the past hundred or so years is because it was rumored that Mrs. Fuller had a miscarriage and committed suicide.

She has even been called a witch for it, no doubt by God-Fearing members of the Church.

As to whether that is actually historical fact, I have never known, or spoken to any older person that claimed that this was true & some of my mother's older relatives actually knew some of their descendants.

However, as far back as when I first moved here as a kid, I can remember of it being spoken of, especially around this time of year, obviously.

Throughout the years, it has become one of the most visited places (esp. just before and after midnight) over the past 50 years or so.

During the outlandish and overblown eighties, there was a cult (whether satanic or not is unknown, but rumored as such) that was apparently into things like witchcraft and the like who practiced sacrificial rites with animals of all kinds (chickens, dogs, cats, pigs, goats, etc.) and were sometimes left at the site (and others around Athens - under Monkey bridge, for one) for people to discover.

Also, their graves were desecrated & the actual bodies of the Fullers themselves were exhumed and relocated to an old cemetery of which I can't remember the name of, however.

Another hot spot of misdeed just east of Athens off of Hwy 175 is Beck's Chapel.

By: Some Guy Named Tim

This message has been edited by Hawk_The_Slayer on Nov 19, 2006 9:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Becks ...JustinNov 20, 2006, 12:35 PM
  Monkey Road & Thunder Bridge Nov 20, 2006, 2:58 PM
   monkey/thunder bridgenewish athens resMay 16, 2007, 2:18 AM
    Re: monkey/thunder bridge Aug 20, 2010, 10:01 AM
  Old Henderson County Hospital Jan 31, 2007, 8:47 PM
  Why Old Hospital is still thereDawnJul 22, 2007, 5:46 PM
  Raised in AthensBorn and raised in AthensFeb 24, 2008, 9:45 PM
  Fuller Park Mar 4, 2009, 1:49 AM
 Hospital - and thoughts on other "sites"BethApr 24, 2011, 6:25 PM
 Virgina Fuller's deathJust meSep 10, 2012, 9:01 PM
 MONKEY/THUNDER BRIDGE ALL MYTH I KNOW... Oct 13, 2012, 8:56 PM
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement