GLORIA WASTES ANOTHER $500,000 TO INFLUENCE U.S. FORIEGN POLICY
by Napanice (no login)
TALK ABOUT LACK OF FORESIGHT. BUSH IS ON HIS WAY OUT, THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES ARE ALL IN THE FIELD BUSILY CAMPAIGNING FOR THE NEXT ELECTION AND GLORIA WANTS TO PAY A LOBBYIST $500,000 TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT? SHE WOULD BE BETTER OFF CONTRIBUTING TO THE CAMPAIGN OF HER FAVORITE CANDIDATE BECAUSE THAT WILL DEFINITELY SERVE THE PHILIPPINE INTEREST IF HER PICK WINS THE PRESIDENCY.
RP signs $500,000 deal with US lobby firm
An American firm will lobby for Philippine interests at the US Congress for a six-month fee of $500,000.
Ambassador to Washington Willy Gaa said the contract with the lobby firm International Practice of Covington & Burling LLP will be submitted to the Philippine Procurement Transparency Group before it takes effect.
The firm, one of the influential lobby groups in the US, has former Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat as partner and chairman, he added.
Gaa said Eizenstat’s team in Covington & Burling will give priority to correcting the "grave injustice" done to Filipino veterans of World War II.
"Our consultant and his excellent team will work broadly on a bipartisan basis, particularly in Congress," he said.
Gaa said that the Philippine government remains committed and determined to win benefits, dignity and recognition that Filipino veterans "truly deserve."
"In carrying out his task, Ambassador Eizenstat will have the support of the top tier of the government affairs and international practice groups of Covington & Burling LLP," he said.
Gaa said no additional expenses will be charged to the Philippine government in the $500,000 contract that he signed with Covington & Burling.
The Philippine embassy in Washington would be releasing to the public a copy of the contract after it has been registered with the US Department of Justice, he added.
Covington & Burling will provide the following services:
• Support efforts that can result in increased US Trade opportunities for the Philippines;
• Support efforts that can result in increased foreign direct investment from US companies; and
• Support efforts to develop new initiatives or expand current programs that support the ability of the Philippine Armed Forces to strengthen capabilities in the areas of security and anti-terrorism.
The lobby firm will also work with Philippine government officials:
• To promote increased levels of US Development Assistance to the Philippines; and
• Ensure that members of the US Congress and government officials are regularly and accurately updated on developments in the Philippines to promote understanding of the importance and positive developments taking place in the country.
Posted on Jan 31, 2008, 4:01 PM from IP address 126.96.36.199