Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

Return to Forum  

Getting rid of Nortons--and the password to do it

March 5 2007 at 9:55 AM
Thread started by Tnetter--copied by Max  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Response to StaceyK's tips on cleaning up your computer

Tnetter (Login TxNet)
The Frugalista Files
I was just going over Maxine's thread from Aug. 06 when StaceyK was working on Maxine's computer. My dd's Norton expired & she never thought to tell me, and has been complaining about tons of popups. I thought for now she should download the free anti-virus at AVG, and uninstall Norton. However, when she tried to uninstall, it asked her for her uninstall password. She doesn't have an uninstall password. Is there a way around that? And how do we find all the places Norton has infiltrated from the Symantec website? I told her to put the word "uninstall" in their search box & all it came up with were the regular directions of go to start, control panel, blah, blah, blah.

Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner
Stacey knows this one!
February 28 2007, 6:16 PM

But I've forgotten. We had this problem, too, and spent forever getting through to technical support. I think Stacey might be working, but I'll try to give her a call and find out. I remember it's one of those things you say "Duh!" about when you find out..... Stay tuned.

Tnetter
(Login TxNet)
The Frugalista Files
Could you also ask her
February 28 2007, 6:18 PM

If there is a free popup blocker? Or is that part of spyware blocker? I am going to have dd download firefox since she goes to MySpace so much.

Stacey_K
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files
I think (post contains step-by-step instructions)
February 28 2007, 6:30 PM

it might be something stupid like, password, or symantec. if not you'll have to do what Maxine did and spend a hour or so on the phone to talk to them. the only true way to get completely rid of norton is to format the computer. Deleting it using the password and uninstall on Maxines, along with the below, was sufficient to get it to lie dormant.

1. Click on Start | Settings | Control Panel
2. In the control panel double-click on Add / Remove Programs
3. Look through the list of installed programs for any item that says either "Norton" or "Symantec" or "LiveUpdate". (for example "Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition" or "Norton AntiVirus 2000")
4. For each "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate" item, select the item and click Add / Remove. Follow the instructions, and click Yes or Yes to all when prompted.
When you are done there should be no items in the list that say "Norton", "Symantec", or "LiveUpdate".
5. Click OK to close the Add / Remove Programs window.
6. Reboot your computer if it hasn't already automatically rebooted.
7. Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus (or c:\Program Files\Norton) folder.
8. Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder.
9. Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder.

as for pop-up blockers, most browsers now (if you've updated them) have them already. IE and Firefox both have effective pop-up blockers, free.

and use AVG grisoft for your new virus protection. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1>;

Stacey_K
(Login Stacey_K)
The Frugalista Files
registry files
February 28 2007, 6:38 PM

the problem with norton is it gets into your registry files. there are ways to remove it from the registry, but I would not recommend for the average PC user. In Maxines case, we did not touch the registry, and the computer ran just fine. If however you find the computer locking up, or having problems with the new antivirus, it could be a registry conflict. If so, you can try messing with the registry, or do a format and reinstall Windows. Course if you are looking at that option, I guess you'd have nothing to lose by playing with the registry first.

edit to add from Microsoft: WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner
Tnetter, when you get the password right...
February 28 2007, 9:44 PM

Be sure to post it. When this thread plays out, I will add it to the thread that is already in the archives.

I think you're really going to enjoy having AVG on your computer. I've never had a virus and it is so easy! Be sure to set it up so that it automatically updates once a day.

Tnetter
(Login TxNet)
The Frugalista Files
The Symantec people post contains password
March 1 2007, 8:43 AM

said if you use the Symantec Removal Tool http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001090708472107?OpenDocument&seg=en&lg=en&ct=us, you don't need a password.

It didn't work for us, just kept sending us back to the Control Panel Add/Remove. They said it was because we had a corporate version.

I did find on one of my searches of their website, that the password is symantec.

Tnetter
(Login TxNet)
The Frugalista Files
I couldn't get Symantec off her computer
March 1 2007, 8:40 AM

Even talked with them via live chat twice. Seems it is a corporate edition, which means the guy who built her computer put it on. They said I need to talk to another department. I think at this point it will be easier to take it to a computer friend of ours. Dh has something on his computer that needs to be fixed too.

I did download the AVG for her, but she's still getting a ton of popups. It found & eliminated 3 things. I'm surprised it wasn't 300.

Barb
(Login BarbVT)
The Frugalista Files
Here's the link at Symantec
February 28 2007, 7:24 PM

It will remove all of Norton from your system, even from the files it has attached itself to. Someone posted this last fall and it was the only way I could get it off my computer. The ADD/REMOVE program on my computer wouldn't do it. Hope it works for you. It's from the company that makes Norton and they assume you want to reinstall it after you have removed it. You just don't do that.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039