Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Prepaid cell phone threads

December 23 2006 at 2:19 PM
Maxine  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Paging Sandy, TwoCatsMom, or anyone with a Tracfone
September 2 2006 at 8:12 AM Darcy (Login DarcyMae)

The Frugalista Files
One of my Labor Day tasks is to get set up with a new cell phone plan. I think I'm going to try Tracfone. My understanding is that if I give the email of a current TracFone user when I sign up, we both get bonus minutes.

Email me if you want to give this a try!

EDITED TO ADD: TwoCatsMom has emailed me. Hopefully by this time next week, we will each have 120 free cell phone minutes! Thanks, TCM.

This message has been edited by DarcyMae on Sep 2, 2006 4:03 PM
This message has been edited by DarcyMae on Sep 2, 2006 8:14 AM
This message has been edited by DarcyMae on Sep 2, 2006 8:12 AM

Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message
Author Reply
2catsmom
(Login 2catsmom)
The Frugalista Files
See your e-mail. n/t

September 2 2006, 12:26 PM

2catsmom

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Don't forget there are

September 2 2006, 5:19 PM

codes that you can use with Tracfone to get extra units. I used one with my RAF and got 60 extra. Check out the Tracfone user group at Yahoo for lots of helpful info. Also, have you chosen a phone? I made sure I picked one where incoming text messages were free ( Nokia 2600 ). Good luck!!

Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
Sandy, question for you

September 5 2006, 11:17 AM

Are these offers through your landline phone? We used to get phone messages (on our landline) re: Tracfone specials, etc. but now that we've moved and have a new landline number, we no longer get the special offers.

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
They called me once

September 5 2006, 7:10 PM

on my landline phone about a special. In the past week they have emailed me 3 times about the same special. Are you looking for a special now? I know one of current specials is 200 free units when you buy a one year card. I'm actually thinking about doing that one.

Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
Specials

September 6 2006, 10:44 AM

Yep, I'm looking for a special now. I think we have 12 minutes left, which lasts a while unless you're out of the local area (and then double minutes are deducted)!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Have you checked out

September 6 2006, 11:58 AM

the Tracfone forum over at Yahoo? If not, here's what alot of people are doing for cheap minutes. Tracfone keeps running an offer where you buy a 60 minute card for $19.99 and you get another 60 minute card for free as well as a free phone. This month it is a Motorola C155. They send a RAF to another email address for that phone, use a code to get 30 - 120 extra minutes along with the RAF for each phone, then transfer the minutes from the new phone to their current phone. Still with me?! By the time you add the 60 minute cards with a code you can end up with 6 months of service and at least 490 minutes for $19.99. It takes some work tho but you end up with really cheap minutes. If you want me to explain this in more detail let me know and I will.

If you're interested in the one year 250 minute card, the code to get 200 extra minutes is 50809.

Have you updated your account with them so they have your new phone number? How many times did they usually call you with a new offer? I've had my phone a month and they've only contacted me with the one offer.

Also, do you know what cell provider your service is on? Mine is Cingular and I just found out this week that I can recieve text messages that are sent from Cingulars website for free. Isn't that neat?!

emma
(Login emdav)
The Frugalista Files
Where do you get your phone?

September 6 2006, 1:25 PM

Dh wants me to get a Tracphone for my trip. Do you have to do this online and wait for the phone to come or can you do it at a store? I need to have my phone by Friday.

Thanks!

2catsmom
(Login 2catsmom)
The Frugalista Files
Emma, We bought our phones at Walgreen's...

September 6 2006, 3:09 PM

I think that places like K-Mart and WalMart sell them too. Maybe Sam's Club too. You have to go online to fill it and get the telephone number. If you decide to get a tracfone, let one of us on the board refer you and we each get an additional 120 minutes free. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at goonytoonz1 at yahoo dot com.

2catsmom

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Lots of stores sell

September 6 2006, 3:58 PM

them. Walmart, Kmart, Target, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Office Depot are just a few. I wanted a specific model and only Kmart and Office Depot carried it. It was $10 cheaper at Office Depot. It takes 3 days for the RAF ( refer a friend )program to send you a code to get your 120 minutes so you won't have time to get that before Friday. You usually get 10 minutes when you buy a phone and then an extra 10 minutes if you activate in online. Try and find a Nokia 1100 ( either Walgreens or Rite Aid ) that comes with 60 minutes with the purchase of the phone.

Also, Net 10 is the same company as Tracfone and all minutes are 10 cents. I think the phones cost more than Tracfones do and they don't have RAF or codes.

Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
Specials

September 6 2006, 2:30 PM

Thanks for the code! No, I haven't yet looked at the Yahoo group. What does "RAF" stand for? We have a really ancient Nokia phone from Tracfone (rebuilt phone).

Yes, we have updated our account so they have our new landline phone number. (They've never actually called my cell phone number with an offer.) I'd say they used to call about every 3 months or so with a special offer.

I have no idea what the provider is (okay, I'm showing my lack of technology here), but our old phone wouldn't show any text messages, anyway. It's cool that you can receive the text messages for free!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
RAF is

September 6 2006, 4:08 PM

the refer a friend program If you want to find out who your provider is you can go to http://www.fonefinder.net and enter in the first 7 digits of your phone number and it will tell you. Most Tracfones use the Cingular network, that's why the coverage is so good on them.

When I picked my phone I made sure to pick one that got incoming text messages for free. Also, that it was a Nokia. I've never had a problem with a Nokia phone.

emma
(Login emdav)
The Frugalista Files
How did you know?

September 6 2006, 5:07 PM

How did you know which phones will give you free incoming texts? Thanks!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
I can't get a link

September 6 2006, 5:44 PM

to work to their site but if you click on questions, then features, then text messaging and the question How many units are deducted for using the text messages service? it has the listing. The phones that have free incoming texts are Nokia 1100, 2600 and 3390 and Motorola V170 and C155. Outgoing texts are 0.3 cents each. All the other phones are either 0.3 cents or 0.5 cents to send or receive a text. I'd avoid the Motorola V170 tho as lots of people have problems with it. I have the Nokia 2600 and love it. Good luck with your search!

Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
RAF

September 6 2006, 8:32 PM

My Nokia is old: 5125 (thick and heavy!), but it appears we could receive text messages. (Who knew--thought it was too old.) Also, looks like our provider is RCC Holdings.

emma
(Login emdav)
The Frugalista Files
I bought my phone--Question

September 7 2006, 9:09 AM

Hi, I bought a Nokia 1100 that was on clearance at Target. I haven't opened it yet but the package says it comes with 60 bonus units. Do you think I can do RAF and get the bonus minutes than came with the phone? Thanks!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Yes, you sure

September 7 2006, 9:34 AM

can do that. I just checked out the codes and both of the following worked as of 9/2/06. With the RAF add code 58094 to get either 30, 60 or 120 extra minutes. Usually people get 60. For the 60 minute card that comes with the phone use code 54604 to get 30 extra minutes. Don't forget to activate online for 10 extra minutes too. Are you planning on getting a case? Walmart has the best prices for them, at least around here. They are made by Samsung and only cost $7.87

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

More on Trac Phone and Virgin Mobile prepaid cell phones

December 23 2006, 2:27 PM 

Does anyone have any TracPhone codes?
December 16 2006 at 4:40 PM StormySkies (Login StormySkies)

The Frugalista Files

And where do you get the codes from???

Thx

Author Reply
Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
This should still be valid

December 17 2006, 11:32 AM

When I bought a one-year card a couple of months ago, the woman told me this code is good until next year (not sure how long into the year, though).
1 year card - get 200 free units, code 50809 (so, purchase 250 minutes, get 200 minutes free)

I got the code from Sandy here, and I believe you can sign up for emails from the site. If you go to tracfone.com, there should be a place to enter your zip code so you can view specials in your area.

Barb
(Login BarbVT)
The Frugalista Files
double minutes

December 17 2006, 12:14 PM

If you redeem airtime minutes before the 23rd of this month, your minutes are automatically doubled. No code needed.

I have trouble finding codes too but Tracfone calls us sometimes with an automated message about codes.

Viv
(Login TexasViv)
The Frugalista Files
Please explain how a Tracphone works

December 17 2006, 2:25 PM

We have a cell phone through Alltel - pay $10 + taxes each month for 100 minutes. We only use an average of 8 minutes a month, most months we use -0-, (I computed it) so I feel the $10 is wasted. Since we don't use the minutes, we lose them. DH refuses to get rid of it in case I have car trouble and need him.

Edited to correct spelling

This message has been edited by TexasViv on Dec 17, 2006 2:27 PM

Barb
(Login BarbVT)
The Frugalista Files
Tracfone

December 18 2006, 7:40 PM

A tracfone is a "pay as you go" cell phone. You can buy the phone in WalMart, KMart, and convenience stores along with the cards to add minutes at 60, 100, 150, or 200 minutes. I usually buy the 60 minute card at WalMart for $18.93.

You activate the new phone and redeem your minutes at http://www.tracfone.com

We don't use many minutes but want the phone for emergency calls or to check in with each other. We just purchased one for our son that is a small flip phone. He works on weekends and is outside in the woods so I wanted him to be able to make calls if he needed to.

Since we buy the smaller minute cards, we have to redeem minutes every two months (online). If we don't, we lose the phone number we now have. You can reactivate the phone if you forget to recharge it with minutes; just get a different number. I think starting with the 100 minute cards, you only have to add minutes every three months. There is also a deal with not recharging for a year but I can't remember the details on that one.

When you activate a tracfone, you give your area code where the phone will be used the most and get a pretty large area where your phone is not "roaming". You can still use the phone anywhere you travel in the U.S. but when you are roaming, you use two minutes of time for every minute you talk.

The tracfones come with a message service. You have to call in to get your messages which uses minutes. You can also send text messages. On some of the tracfones text messaging is free and on other's it takes a fraction of a minute (or a unit as tracfone calls them).

So, I am paying almost $10 a month to have my tracfone which is what you are paying. I don't think changing to a tracfone would be an advantage for you. You already have a good deal.

One good thing about a tracfone though is that they are pretty inexpensive to buy so it's not the end of the world if you lose it. But the person who finds it can recharge it and use the phone for himself. Tracfone doesn't care who uses the phones and they don't try and find out who has it if you lose it or it gets stolen.

Darcy
(Login DarcyMae)
The Frugalista Files
Tracfone Voicemail

December 19 2006, 4:09 AM

Barb, you can retrieve voice amil from any landline (and thus not use your Tracfone minutes for this purpose):

Call your cell phone and let it go to voicemail. When the voice message comes up hit the pound sign and then your PIN number when prompted.

Barb
(Login BarbVT)
The Frugalista Files
Thanks!

December 19 2006, 4:17 AM

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
I find codes

December 19 2006, 8:13 AM

at the Yahoo Tracfone message board. For awhile Tracfone was text messaging me almost every day and sending me emails a few times a week.

You can get 20 minutes free ( with your next refill ) if you sign up at their site to be an insider.

There is a code out now that gives you extra time instead of minutes. I've also read that to get the double minutes promotion that is going on you had to get an email or text from them.

Viv, a Tracfone could be cheaper for you but not much. Target has all phone cards on sale 10% off through Saturday. A card that is good for a year is $90. It is a 250 minute card and there is a code that will give you 200 extra minutes. For the second year if you have enough minutes left, you can buy a year of service only for $50 or $60 ( I'm not sure which one ). You can get phones as low as $9.99. The Nokias are great little phones but there have been some issues with the software in the Motorola's.

Miranda
(Login Miranda_MO)
The Frugalista Files
Excellent tip--thanks!

December 19 2006, 2:45 PM

Had no idea about this tip, Darcy. Thanks!! Dh is off to try that right now.

LisaCNC
(Login Straitlover)
The Frugalista Files
I just bought a new Tracfone

December 19 2006, 8:34 AM

My phone I have is an old analog one, and most of the time I can't get a signal. So, I am upgrading to a new digital one. Supposedly, I can port ove rmy number and leftover minutes to the new one (I've got about 900 minutes and don't want to lose them!). We'll see how it work out when I get the phone.

My phone is only for emergencies, so I do the one year plan. They ahve a special right now where you buy a one year card for $99 ($106.74 w/ tax). You get 250 minutes and a free phone. I got the Nokia 2600 (supposed to be a good one). It is a single rate phone (no more roaming where you use 2 units per minute), and I think incoming text messages are free (don't plan on using that feature, so I didn't pay too much attention to that). Also, they are doing free shipping (Fed Ex 3-day) right now for purchases over $19.99 (on the Tracfone website). And, if you activate the card online by 12/31 and use the promotional code 50809, you get an additional 200 minutes. My receipt alos showed a free accessory kit when I went to check out (that was a suprise as I didn't see it listed anywhere and alomost bought one for 19.99). The acc kit is a car charger, hands free headset and phone case.

W/ the one year plan, the phone is active for 365 days, so you don;t ahve to add any more minutes to keep from losing your number. Any minutes left at the end of the 1 year roll over, so you don't lose them (same w/ any of the other cards). So, it costs me $8.90 per month for my phone, which is a pretty good deal. I mainly only use it if I get stuck in traffic and am running late for work.

This year, my sis is paying for part of the cost ($20) as my Christmas present, so it's costing me less! She asked what I wanted, and that's all I could think of that I needed. Works for me!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Just found a good

December 19 2006, 12:58 PM

site for codes and other useful info. Here are the latest codes http://www.compare-prepaid-cell-phones.com/Codes-for-Tracfone.html.

BethannM
(Login BethannM)
Moderators
I went with Virgin Mobile

December 20 2006, 3:44 AM

I wanted to get Mozy a prepaid cell phone for Christmas this year. (Mozy is the young lady that lives with us, but is usually away at college.) Her college is in a different area code, so she can't just call from her dorm room. She has to have calling cards, etc. I know a cell phone would be helpful to her, but they're so costly on a regular basis.

I did some research, and ended up with Virgin Mobile. It uses the Sprint network. The flip phone I bought was $20. It looks like a $20 phone, but it's cute nonetheless. She can save up and buy a cooler phone if she wishes. I had a budget to keep to. I also bought her a $20 airtime card.

As near as I can tell, Virgin has the best rates, which was one of my main factors. I want her to be able to afford to add minutes, kwim? You only have to add $20 once every 90 days to keep current, which was longer than anyone else, unless you went with an annual card, but we can't afford that. There are several plans she can choose...she can just pay minute-by-minute, which is 18cents a minute, which is cheaper than tracphone by almost half. Or, she can pay $6.99 and pay 10 cents a minute for every call in a month ($6.99 a month, plus 10cents a minute). Or she can pay for more expensive "plans" and get free nights and weekends. I think for now the 18 cents a minute is a good plan. If she finds herself making more calls or longer calls than she thought, she can spring for the $6.99.

It also had the best rating for prepaid systems from JD Power and Associates.

Anyway, that's the one we went with. I hope she likes it! I keep our Christmas budget to $50 per person on our kids, so I was tickled to be able to get her a phone plus some minutes and still have a little left for something fun. I'm planning to make some pajama pants, but it's already Wed and I don't have them started, so we'll see!!

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
BA - Tracfone may look

December 20 2006, 8:28 AM

expensive at first glance but they actually are quite affordable. I'll be adding airtime to mine in a few weeks and it will cost either 9.5 cents, 11 cents or 16.5 cents a minute depending on what codes I use or not.

The biggest factor in going pre paid is finding out what provider they use and how the service is in your area. Verizon and Cingular are the best here, I could have went with T Mobile or Virgin for next to nothing ( DD gets a steep discount at work ) but service is iffy here. Net 10 is good too at 10 cents per minute. ( they are a division of Tracfone )

Tell Mozy to keep an eye out at Target for sales on Virgin cards. They have the $20 cards on sale frequently 2/$30.

I always had my doubts about pre paid plans but now I love it. The best part is no taxes! It's a bit more work then post paid but I save over $300 a year.

Respond to this message   
Sandy/Md--cut & pasted by Max
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

How I got Tracfone for 3.5 cents a unit

March 6 2007, 12:28 PM 

How I got Tracfone for 3.5 cents a unit
March 5 2007 at 8:24 AM Sandy/MD (Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files

From time to time we discuss the benefits of pre paid cell phones versus post paid. Tracfone usually comes up and I thought I'd share how I got units so cheaply recently.

First, I got my Tracfone in August '06 for $40. With my airtime I got for getting the phone, activating online and 2 RAF ( refer a friend ) I had service time until 1/15/07 without spending another cent. My old post paid cell phone bill was $36/month so I saved a decent amount of money during that time.

Dd wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas. I suggested the Tracfone deal that is always on their site. Buy a 60 unit card, get another one free along with a refurbished Nokia 1100 for $19.99. They were offering free shipping also. With tax this was $20.99.

Now the fun begins. I signed up my original phone for the insider news which would give me 20 free units when I added airtime next. I added one of the 60 unit cards along with a code that extended my service time for 2 more months for a total of 4 months and gave me my 80 units. I could have used a code for free units but needed service time more.

There was a way to still do RAF so I sent a referral to myself for the new phone. After I activated the new phone I got the RAF pin number. Added that for the 120 units and a code for 30 bonus units.

Total time and units added to original phone are 6 months and 230 units.

Now the new phone. I activated it online and got the 20 units and 2 months service time. When I activated it I got a special they were giving away for awhile. You get 30 units free each time you add airtime for the life of the phone and you can use codes on top of it. This would start with the second time you added airtime to the phone.

I added the RAF for 120 units and a code for 60 bonus units and extending my service time another 2 months. Signed up for insider news too. Then a code came out giving a 60 unit card an extra 60 units. I added the second 60 unit card I had and got the 60 plus the extra 60, 30 bonus for life and 20 for insider for a total of 170 units and 2 months service time. Sweet!!

Total time and units added to the second phone are 6 months and 370 units.

Combined together I have 2 phones, 600 units and 6 months service time for $21! This comes out to 3.5 cents per unit. I still cannot believe it. The savings from my post paid phone to Tracfone during the 6 months are $195.

My original goal was to just get rid of the second phone after I used up the time on it. Now I'm going to keep it. It's to good of a deal to pass up with the bonus units. Dh uses it instead of taking his work phone with him when he goes out so he's not bothered by work issues.

It took time to find the codes and decide which ones to use but this was actually fun trying to find the best deal and figure out the savings. I'm really thrilled with the results tho!

RR
(Login panda-wa)
The Frugalista Files
this may be a dumb question ...
March 21 2007, 2:17 PM

What are "units?" (Minutes of airtime, or what, exactly??)

Sandy/MD
(Login Beachbaby06)
The Frugalista Files
Yes, it's minutes & a Tracfone update
March 21 2007, 3:45 PM

Tracfone calls them units usually.

There have been some nice changes to Tracfone recently. All cards now extend your time for 90 days, up from 60 ( except the year card of course ). There is also a new 30 unit card that is $9.99 and is good for 45 days. The best news tho is you can add unlimited time now, no more limits of 180 days ( or a year with the year card ). Someone over at the Yahoo group added a bunch of cards to their phone and have time until 2012. I'd be leary of adding that much time myself!

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Mar 26, 2007 11:29 AM

Respond to this message   
Thread begun by KarenPA--cut & pasted by Max
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Still more on Tracfone....

June 24 2008, 2:46 PM 

Tracphone vs cell phone
April 18 2008 at 2:30 AM
KarenPA

Ok, due to some upcoming changes in our lives, we have decided to enter the 21st century and get a mobile phone of some sort. Besides.....that 2nd head I seem to grow whenever I say I don't have a cell may wither away and die, lol.

We are not yappy phone talkers, not even my boys, so this would be for basic communication and emergencies. We will need it more in our investment property in Maryland than anywhere else. At this point, 1 phone amongst us all would be fine, however, in the fall when we have sports going on, it may be beneficial for 3 of us to have phones in order to coordinate everyone. I was leaning towards a tracphone, until I started thinking about the fall...we'd all need our own separtate tracphone, right? Is that much different than being part of a normal Verizon style group plan?

I know, these are simplistic questions, but I'm the most clueless person on earth when it comes to cell phones. And I mean that......I saw Amish guys on the train much more adept with cell phones than I, lol.

I'd appreciate feedback.

Lori in MA
I am not sure
April 18 2008, 5:03 AM

what would be the cheapest.

I think this is most important. Find out if the phone will get reception where you will be travelling. My friend Sandi has a tracphone and she has problems with reception often and she is in Amherst where this shouldn't be a problem.

You will have to buy the phone either way. Not sure which would be cheapest here either. I have heard from my kids that the cheap phones are also part of the problem with reception. That said my phone was 29.99 and it is groovy looking and I have no problems with reception (yep that is cheap).

You can call or look online at Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T (used to be Cingular) or whatever is in your area. You can look for different phone plans. Ask or look for the most basic plan; see how much it would be for 3 phones and the least minutes they offer for each month and if the minutes roll over to the next month if you don't use them.

You can also look online for phones and see how much they cost and what they look like, etc. I think either way you will have to order the phones online.

If you talk to a person, always ask them if there is a cheaper plan than what is online. You can ask if there are any specials if you sign with them.

If you go with a company, sometimes they might ask for a deposit, regardless of your credit. You might have to sign a 2 year minimum contract.

We signed a two year with Cingular/AT&T with 5 phones on it. One month my daughter's phone had a game added. She said she never added it. The other daughter had an internet access fee, which she said she never did. I called and they removed the charges without any problems. This is the only time in the 12 years we had the phones that I had a problem with wrong fees.

What I find frustrating about our cell phone bill is that the taxes are OUTRAGEOUS.

You will want to get a vehicle charger (10 bucks at WalMart). My cell always seems to die when I am in my van.

Hope this helps.

BethannM
Definitely Tracfone!
April 18 2008, 7:02 AM

Do talk to someone here who has one, because we get bonus minutes and so do you if you use a referral. Or at least they used to do that. Know what? I think that's changed, come to think of it.

Anyway, check out the tracfone list at yahoo:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tracfone_Users/?yguid=150683656>

I learned a TON by reading through these posts for a month or so before ordering for Katie (now 16) for Christmas. For about $40 I got her a phone (pink, no less!) and 218 minutes and 5 months of service. She still has minutes left, and just got another 60 minutes, which I will turn into 180 with codes and a double minute card, etc. She got the 60 minute card for her birthday, but honestly? It was part of the $40 I spent in December!

You can get fantastic deals with Tracfone if you use the codes and are creative with how you use it. She uses it primarily with texting, which uses .3 minutes per text.

Look at the site and email me if you like. There are others here who've been able to use cell phones for very little a year by using Tracfone. That's where I found the site--right here!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

glenda
I paid
April 18 2008, 7:28 AM

a penny for my phone, but it means I'm tied to a contract.

My concern with the Tracphone is that there are ways to get some great deals for extra minutes and such, but knowing me, I'd run out of minutes while I was out of town, in the middle of a family emergency, and end up paying some outrageous price to be able to talk to my family members. With my Alltel phone, I don't even worry about going over minutes, because they are a part of my Circle, so it's free to talk to them 24/7/365.

I pay more for my phone, but added on my kids for $10/month - and we share our minutes. We don't use many minutes outside our circle - we call one another 99% of the time.

Darcy
I love my Tracfone
April 18 2008, 9:12 AM

Since you're not planning to be yappy, it will be a great plan for you. Best part is that you can carry the minutes from month to month without penalty (not all pay-as-you-go plans offer this).

Sandy/MD
It really depends on how much
April 21 2008, 12:32 PM

you plan on using the phone. I went from Cingular ( now AT&T ) to Tracfone because I don't use my phone much. I was paying $36/month for Cingular and now I pay $42/YEAR with Tracfone. I use about 20 minutes a month ( my incoming text messages are free )and I'm still on the same network. AT&T is the #2 provider in my area. I don't worry about running out of minutes because I have a ton of them from the old refer a friend program. They no longer offer that tho but there are always codes to chose from to add minutes or time. It's alittle bit of work to find the best deals but for me it's well worth it.

Using my area code I priced a family plan with 3 phones at AT&T. You would get 550 minutes for $60 for the first two phones and it is $10 more a month for the third phone. That includes unlimited rollover minutes, free nights/weekends and unlimited mobile to mobile. With taxes it would probably be around $70/month.

Tracfone has two deals in my area now. One is a free phone, 400 minutes plus 50 extra and a years service for $99.99.

The other is a phone and unlimited double minutes for life for $49.99. Shipping is free for orders of $35 or more.

Bethann mentioned the Yahoo Tracfone group and there is a ton of good info there. Hope this helps you out.

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.

LisaCNC
How do you do $42/yr when the cheapest card is $19.99?
April 21 2008, 2:09 PM

If you don't have the annual card, you have to add time every 90 days, which is basically 4 times per year. At $42, that's only $10.50 per add.

Let me know how you do it because I've been buying the annual card! I've got 1,898 minutes on my phone right now and my average usage is 5-10 a month, so I don't need many, either . I just bought my annual one at the end of March; the $99 annual card comes w/ 400 minutes, and I used a code to get a bonus 230 minutes (was supposed to be 200 but when it activated the card it gave me 230!). W/ tax, I pd $106.74 for one year, but I would like $42 way better!

LisaCNC
One thing I don't like about my Tracfone - can't use voicemail
April 21 2008, 2:19 PM

I ahve it on this new phone. However, I can't access it. I tried on the phone and the number it dials (is invalid (checking using yout tracfone uses your minutes, so that's not the best way anyway). I tried doing it from a landline (doesn't use up your minutes) and it doesn't work either (you're supposed to be able to call your phone w/ the phone turned off, and when the message comes on hit # and be able to check your messages). I need to find my manual for the phone and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Sandy/MD
How I do it
April 21 2008, 2:36 PM

is getting the B1G1F 60 minute cards plus a free phone when they offer them for $19.99 ( plus tax ) and free shipping. Then I add one every 3 months or sooner when I see a good code offer. I give the free phones away but you could either use them or transfer the minutes you get with them to your primary phone.

They have this special several times a year around major holidays. I think Mothers Day is one where they offer it.

Hope this answers your question, if not let me know.

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.

LisaCNC
I've never seen the B1G1F on the cards
April 21 2008, 2:49 PM

I have seen buy the card and get the phone free (that's how I got my current phone; my old phone was an analog and it got to where I could never get a good signal).

The cards are good as long as you have not activated them, right? So if they have that special anytime soon I can buy the cards and just hold onto them until next March when my year runs out???

Maxine
Karen, my take on this
April 21 2008, 12:24 PM

If I were you (and I'm not), I would start with one Tracfone and decide later whether to switch to a family plan with another carrier. If you switch, you'll be able to keep your Tracfone number, and the phones themselves aren't so expensive that making the switch will cost you much. If you do switch, you will have to buy phones (some of which will likely cost more) plus $10 month for each additional line. Of course, if you're mostly talking to each other, that's free, so you can get an inexpensive (not too many minutes) plan. With Tracfone, you'll pay to talk to each other. There are a lot of pros and cons.

From my own experience, I've had a cell phone about 4 years and I don't use it much. Often I will use it for long distance because I've paid for the minutes, yet using my landline with prepaid long distance, like Onesuite, would be a lot cheaper. At the moment I am in a family plan with DS. When he gets married and he and fiance quit fighting about what wireless company (he likes Verizon, she likes AT&T), I'm sure I'll go to Tracfone. With all of the deals, I think I'd save a lot.

You are asking a lot of the same questions I asked when I first signed up with Verizon. DS wasn't an issue then--he didn't live here. I really wish I'd gone with Tracfone first, because I'd probably still be with them.

KarenPA
Thanks everyone!
April 22 2008, 2:28 AM

I'm probably going to get a tracfone to start. Hubby could care less if he has a phone, so until we feel the need to have more than 1, this seems like the best option. I know my son would like one, but he's going to have to wait a little longer.

LisaCNC
Do you have T Mobile service in your area?
April 22 2008, 5:51 AM

I have heard that they have a prepaid phone that is an even better deal than Tracfone. We don't have it here, so I have not researched it.

Maxine
Maybe we have covered it all here...
April 22 2008, 7:59 AM

...but there is a prepaid cell phone thread (mostly Tracfone) in the archives.

KarenPA
I may have to rethink this
April 22 2008, 5:57 PM

I was talking to the agent today and he mentioned that the owners mentioned they can only get cell phone service nearly hanging out the attic window. I'll have to ask them Friday at closing what company they have, but I very well may not have cell service at the house, which means we will need a land line. I need to be able to call for emergencies.

BethannM
Current deals
April 23 2008, 4:46 AM

I checked the tracfone site, and at least for my zip code, the deals are:

Motorola W370 with a double minute card, for $39.99. Every time you add air time, which begins at $20 for 60 minutes, you get double that. With codes from the yahoo list, you'd get at least 180 minutes when you add a 60 minute card. You get 20 minutes when you activate your phone online, 10 if you activate it using your tracfone. You get 20 minutes if you sign up for the tracfone insider. So, for $60, you'd end up with a cool flip phone and 220 minutes of air time. Adding 60 minute cards with codes from the list make your cost around .11/min. A couple times a year, they offer the 60 min cards as a b1g1 offer. That really drops your per minute cost!

Or, a red reconditioned Mororola C261 with a 200 minute card for $39.99. There are some codes available on the list to add some extra minutes with that, too. I think the current one is add an additional 60 minutes when you activate a 200 minute card. Or you could add a double minutes for life card to that package for $49.99 and get double minutes, like above.

There are some other deals. These are what's being offered in my market. Your market may have different deals. If there's something you want in a different market, you have to do a little research, but you can often get that package and have them send you a different SIM card. So there really are ways to make Tracfone a fantastic deal.

Oh, there is also free shipping on orders over $35 right now, too. Here's the yahoo list:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tracfone_Users/?yguid=150683656>

Or, Staples has a tracfone for $9.99 right now, too. You could always just get that plus a $20 60 min card, and double that with codes. Depends on what you think your usage is going to be.

One more thing--that double minute card for $49.99 is for the life of the phone. If your phone dies, your out of luck, but if the phone lasts a long time, it's well worth the cost.

Lots of options.

Blessings,

Bethann

glenda
do you get free calling
April 23 2008, 6:36 AM

from one cell phone to another on tracphones?

95% of all our calling is from one cell to another - and those calls are free so long as we are w/in our local calling area when we place the call(inlcudes most of Missouri and Arkansas) the call can go out to about anywhere in the lower 48.

BethannM
No
April 23 2008, 12:47 PM

That's why we keep a regular cell phone bill, too. Dh and I use that. Ds and Dd are on it as well--their own plan, I mean, but same company. We do a lot of calling within our own company. A lot of people around here use this company. 16yo dd is the one with the Tracfone. It's been a great first phone for her and definitely cheaper than if I'd added a line to my regular wireless.

My sil and bil have completely switched their family of five to Tracfones, though, and they are creative enough with how to communicate with each other--lots of texting and voicemail-- so that they are saving BIG BUCKS over the regular wireless company.

Dh and I use ours for business, too, so I don't think we can quite go there right now.

Blessings,

Bethann

This message has been edited by MaxineS on Jun 24, 2008 2:47 PM

Respond to this message   
Bethann/cut & pasted by Maxine
(Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

How to use an unregistered tracfone to replace ruined contract phone??

August 10 2008, 5:03 PM 

how to use an unregistered tracfone to replace ruined contract phone??
August 2 2008 at 2:15 PM
BethannM

I remember someone saying to pick up a cheapo tracfone and put your contract phone sim card in it and you can use it for your contract phone if you ruin yours. Goodness, does that make sense to anyone else? Not sure I'm saying what I mean here!

Dh had his contract cell phone in his swim trunks pocket while he worked outside. He forgot and got in the pool. Yup. Contract phone doesn't work.

I had an unused tracfone in the closet, so I popped his sim in there, but it tells me "invalid SIM card". Am I doing something wrong? I'm thinking that the tracfone is linked to the SIM it came with.

Ideas? We really don't want to buy him a new phone right now.

Blessings,

Bethann

Snick4
The sim card is bad too
August 2 2008, 3:07 PM

if it got wet and I don't know if it will work once it is dried out. However, you can go get another sim card. You just have to put ALL those phone numbers in again.

I have a 'to go' phone. It was about $15.00 at Dollar General. My phone didn't get wet the battery went bad but the battery going to cost big bucks. My to go phone is working just fine. I've had it for over a months or so now.

richinny
i think replacement sims are cheap
August 2 2008, 3:09 PM

you have to call to get them activated. you might try calling with the old one you have.

Stacey
Something else I found
August 2 2008, 3:13 PM

Tracfone has phones for Analog, CDMA,TDMA and GSM bands. Your SIM card must be designed for the same band as the Tracfone to work.

glenda
Try
August 2 2008, 5:56 PM

sticking the phone, sims card and battery - the whole thing- into a ziplock bag of rice for a couple, three days - I washed mine, for 20 minutes or so, in soapy water, before realizing where it was, and after the rice it works (one button doesn't work, but I can still use it).

glenda
I'm not sure...
August 2 2008, 6:01 PM

thinking this through - I don't think that your Sims card from your contract phone will pop into a tracfone and make it 'appear' to be the contract phone (I'm not sure about that, but it's my understanding that it cant' be done??)- any chance you, or someone you know has an old contract phone around? The contract company could turn an old contract phone on with your old number, so you don't have to buy a new phone.

Snick4
Mine worked
August 2 2008, 8:05 PM

but I got an AT&T to go phone. I took the sim card that came with it out and put mine in and had no problems. It just HAS to be a phone from YOUR network or whoever provides your service. (I Think.)

RR
try THOROUGHLY drying it
August 2 2008, 6:10 PM

My cell took an unauthorized ride in the washing machine last year. I thought it was completely kaput, so (thinking I had nothing to lose) I removed the sim card and let it dry, while using a blowdrier on the phone itself. Then I let them both air out for overnight. The next morning I popped the sim card back in and tried the phone. Eureka -- it worked!

~R
-----------
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
~Randy Pausch, 'The Last Lecture'

Missy
if all else fails
August 3 2008, 11:06 AM

go to craigslist and look for a used phone there. There are alot of them.
I used to have AT&T service with an unlocked phone from T-Mobile.

Got it for $25.00

Missy

BethannM
update
August 9 2008, 5:21 AM

It works!

We left it out in the sun and breeze for a few hours, then brought it in. We left it out a few hours longer in the house, then packed it up in a ziploc bag full of rice. Three(?) days later, he put it all back together and it works! It even charged back up. It's not holding a charge now, so we'll see how that goes, but we were thrilled that it worked at all.

Thanks for all the help!

Blessings,

Bethann

glenda
Dd left her phone in her hot car
August 9 2008, 3:21 PM

for a few hours last w/end - when it was 100% humidity and 100 degrees - it appeared to have ruined the phone, but a few hours in the airconditioner and it was working again.

Myra
soaking up this info..
August 9 2008, 4:09 PM

my phone screen died while here in SC.. have just been dealing with it best I can. But then mom said she had an old one and it is the same brand. So I swapped sim cards and voila! I have a working phone. Only lost four or five numbers that were stored on the phone itself.

Glad I was reading here!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum