Click here to return to The Frugalista Files

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Online sources for used auto parts

June 30 2008 at 5:39 PM
  (Premier Login MaxineS)
Forum Owner

Linda in OH
Junk Yard Dog

My Explorer is 12 years old and I have had very few problems with it. But right now the AC does not work. It is the climate control buttons in the interior that are not working.

I took it to a mechanic the first part of May. Things have beens dragging on now for about 6 weeks and today he found out the part number has changed and what they had on backorder for 3 weeks for less than $150 will now cost me $580!!!!! Huh!!!!!

So I have put out a search for the part on junkyarddog.com. I used them to get a new interior rear view mirror. I can't remember exactly what the quote from the Ford dealer was -- $300-$500 because it has electronics in it. I got one from the salvage dealers for $40 plus $15 s&h.

I'll let you know if I find the part and how much it is.

I'm sure those of you with mechanical husbands (that just doesn't sound exactly right, does it?) already know all of this but I don't think anyone has ever posted here about getting used parts from junkyards.

RR
I hadn't heard of that website
June 12 2008, 8:19 AM

I've bought car parts from junkyards before, but it's been 3 or 4 years ago. Thanks sharing that website. It could sure come in handy.

~RR
-----------

"Every great adventure comes with great adversity; otherwise it would not be a great adventure. In fact, in a great adventure, adversity is not only expected, it should be welcomed. That's what makes it interesting and exciting."
~Rolando Villazón

Beverly
There is a place here called Pull-A-Part
June 12 2008, 8:56 AM

that is basically a junk yard that you can scavenge parts. My husband is there a lot. He has several old Jaguars and he likes finding parts for them. Last week he needed a break from work and found a couple of visors and some other stuff he was quite happy with. Of course he gets mechanical parts too but he was just pleasure shopping last week.

Tnetter
LOL @ pleasure shopping
June 12 2008, 10:39 AM

I always wondered where men liked to browse.

Maxine
This is such a great concept
June 12 2008, 9:35 AM

We NEVER find the parts we need at wrecking yards around here. Having access to many more is a great idea! Linda, hope you find your part.

LindaOH
I posted last night about 10 pm at junkyarddog.
June 12 2008, 11:13 AM

And this morning at 8:30 I had two responses. One of them has it for $140 incl. s&h and the other was for $100 incl. s&h. So I just ordered the part for $100. That just saved me $480!!!! And it is a lot faster than the Ford dealer who had us waiting for three weeks to tell us it was a different part and cost a lot more than he had originally told us.

So far so good. LOL

glenda
I'll have to ask dh
June 12 2008, 12:10 PM

if he uses Junkyarddog - I don't think that's the online site he's used in the past...

BUT you're right Linda, you can find a LOT if you know where to look. Dh's truck door got crunched some time back, and he found the door, same interior, and same exterior color, and was able to literally take the old one off and replace it for less than buying the skin to 'fix' the origional door crunch.

It is amazing, but sometimes you can find what you need, in your own back yard easier online than via the telephone - who would have thought that possible 10 years ago?

glenda
He uses carparts.com
June 12 2008, 8:10 PM

to find places near us, that have what he needs - and usually goes to pick it up himself.

BethannM
That is really good to know!
June 13 2008, 3:20 AM

We have a place around here where we've often bought used parts. It saves SO much money! But I had no idea there was something like this online! I'll forward this info to my dh and ds. With all our old cars, we're always needing something-or-other! THANKS!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

glenda
Ditto!
June 13 2008, 5:28 AM

Dh has always made use of salvage yards, and purchased used parts when possible (except not many electrical parts). He use to spend his afternoon with the phone book in his lap, and calling all over creation, trying to find the parts he needed. Most salvage yards would refer him on to someone else if they didn't have what he needed - but it meant more phone calls, and time spent explaining what was needed. (not something I could do easily, I've done it, but I was never sure I was getting what we needed/wanted) Being able to find parts, w/o having to call around to every salvage yard in a 100 mile radius has saved us time, and money, and ensured we've gotten what we are REALLY after.

By searching online, we've learned of salvage yards we didn't know about before, and a couple of salvage yards w/in an hour of us and specialize in Dodge truck parts - he's used their services more than once.

Current Topic - Online sources for used auto parts
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum